Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Chevette HS - Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2006, 10:51 PM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevette HS - Advice

A friend of mine is going to look at a Chevette HS this weekend and I need some advice on how to tell if it is genuine.

I'm happy with all the usual Chevette bodywork traits, as I use to rally one years ago - but I'm not sure what sign there are (if any), that it is a pukka HS, (Blydenstein plate perhaps?).

He also states it has been fitted with a 2.6 stroker kit. Anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks in advance.

blubs
Old 03 August 2006, 11:33 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get registered on here quick and get asking, not an expert myself but these were great, nearest I got was a few goes of my uncles 2.3 Magnum which was basically a HS engine in a Firenza.

http://www.droopsnootgroup.org.uk/chevette.htm

or

http://www.ccclub.org.uk/
Old 04 August 2006, 02:42 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No.1 thing to check, make sure it's a Vauxhall twin cam! Lots of Shuvits were fitted with 2.3 single cam lumps which were easier to obtain (Bedford vans etc).

Should have bucket type seats in red/black tarten check, red carpets. All were painted silver from the factory.

Stroker kits extended the stroke of the engine, i.e. the piston travels further and the swept volume increases the engine size from 2.3 to 2.6 litres. To increase engine capacity requires either, or a combination of larger cylinder bores, different pistons, different crankshat/con rods. A stroker kits is the latter. Talk to experts before buying an HS. Lots to be wary of. Tuned engines can give useful power (200+hp) but need careful setting up and high standard of engine build by someone who knows that engine. Expensive rebuilds if not done right and not so many know that engine well nowadays.