Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Prodrive to buy Aston Martin

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2007, 02:19 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Prodrive to buy Aston Martin

Apparently David Richards and Prodrive are on a shortlist of 3 in the auction for Aston with the other two being non car fiends / private equity finance types so hope fully prodrive have got a good chance.

As long as Mr R comes up with the rumoured 450 large ones, I look forward to the AWD Aston DB9 Spec C with some extra scoops and an eff off back wing
Old 21 February 2007, 02:24 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Not sure on the Spec C Aston, but if they buy AM I'd put money on Aston Martin being the name used when Prodrive enter F1 in '08.
Old 21 February 2007, 02:24 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
I look forward to the AWD Aston DB9 Spec C with some extra scoops and an eff off back wing
They already have one

dbr9 - Google Image Search
Old 21 February 2007, 02:30 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Location: LONDON MANDEM - At Da V-Power Petty Station Fillin Up
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that's sex right there !!!!!
Old 21 February 2007, 02:33 PM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Where's this rumour from ? - I like it
Seen current EVO mag with V8 Vantage PPP What it should have been like in the 1st place.
I've been wondering what to upgrade to

Seriously though cross Prodrives concept of last year with V8 Vantage and a little more grunt and it would take the fight right to 911 turbo - Ferrari.

This would also differentiate from DB9 / DBS, although these 2 have top be split too.
Old 21 February 2007, 02:38 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Can't really see it myself.

It cost 10's of Million of pound to develop a new car. Prodrive IMHO are not in a position where they could do this, so if they did buy Aston, all we'll see it slightly tweaked AMV8's, DB9's, and DBS's over the years.
Buyers who can afford that type of car, will soon get sick of the same design, all be it with a few design/engine/suspension tweaks.

For aston to survive and prosper for the future, a big manufacturer need to buy it, in the same way Ford did when it bought Aston, who lets be honest, would probably have gone bust again without Ford.

I really think Ford are stupid selling Aston. They lost $6 Billion last year, so what difference will recouping £500 Million selling Aston bring them. They'd surely be better off having Aston as their Halo marque.

Much could be the same said with Lamborghini. Since Audi bought them, they've prospered having money to develop better cars, and being able to develop then produce a second car (Gallardo) which would never have happened without Audi's cash.

I may be wrong, but I think Aston would end up going bankrupt again (long term) if a non-manufacturer bought them. No disrespect to Prodrive, but that's my opinion.
Old 21 February 2007, 03:03 PM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Aston Martin has hardly ever made money - it's still here.

Agree better keep it in big car manufactures hands for safety and new cars but there's a huge risk of the badge engineering when accountants get involved that has happened to Jaguar and this undermines the history that makes a marque special.

Prodrive wouldn't do this and we might see some 'proper' Aston racing cars again. It's been a long time.

Ferrari are protected cos if Fiat tried to badge engineer, they'd be strung up by the locals.

Porsche is profitable and managed to make the Carrara GT not to mention current 911, who are they owned by ? Could this be the direction of Aston / Prodrive ? UK engineering is top class, but we have no car manufacturers to speak of, independance for AM maybe scary but we could unravel the Union Jack from the Stars and Stripes

Does Ferrari make money on their own - I doubt it.

Agree it's nice to have Lambo in business properly, but Gallardo / Audi R8 question will run and run.
Old 21 February 2007, 03:07 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

I like that
Old 21 February 2007, 03:43 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Thinking about it, I'd be surprised if Prodrive could afford to buy and run Aston considering their F1 commitments.
Old 21 February 2007, 03:51 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Can you imagine the sound a 6L boxer motor with unequal manifolds and tuned exhausts would sound, strap a few turbos on and a cold air induction kit and the sound would probably be something fantastic

Not to mention the performance!!
Old 21 February 2007, 03:57 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Too late chappies.

Aston Martin has already been bought by the LV Group.

They own lots of expensive designer labels etc.
Old 21 February 2007, 04:08 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiLover

Too late chappies.

Since when?
Old 21 February 2007, 05:16 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Location: LONDON MANDEM - At Da V-Power Petty Station Fillin Up
not trying 2 disrespect anyone... but is there any info on this if so where ??? b'cos we all wud like to c it ..
Old 21 February 2007, 06:02 PM
Minitrue
BANNED

Location: The Ministry of Truth. War is Peace: Freedom is Slavery: Ignorance is Strength

Originally Posted by stilover

It cost 10's of Million of pound to develop a new car. Prodrive IMHO are not in a position where they could do this, so if they did buy Aston, all we'll see it slightly tweaked AMV8's, DB9's, and DBS's over the years.
Buyers who can afford that type of car, will soon get sick of the same design, all be it with a few design/engine/suspension tweaks.
Correct: rather like Rover...
Old 22 February 2007, 02:58 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by AudiLover

Too late chappies.

No it hasn't, ********.

LONDON (MarketWatch) -- David Richards, founder of Prodrive, the motor sport group, is spearheading a consortium that is one of three bidders left in the running for Aston Martin, a unit of Ford Motor Co. (F), reports the Financial Times Wednesday, citing people involved in the process.

Prodrive already runs Aston Martin's racing team and is in the process of setting up a Formula One team, the report says.
The team, advised by Jefferies Group Inc. (JEF), the U.S. investment bank, is understood to have submitted an offer of about GBP450 million in the final round of bidding for the sports car maker, and is competing against Doughty Hanson & Co. Ltd., the buy-out group, and Simon Halabi, the Syrian-born property tycoon, the report says.
Newspaper Web site: http://www.ft.com ( Financial Times)
Old 22 February 2007, 03:15 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

911 seems to still find buyers some 40 odd years on....

Prodrive are obviously trying to do a Porsche - the most profitable car company in the world per car sold.

10's of millions is within their reach when you add their resources to the funds that investment banks / private equity are willing to throw at leveraged financings these days, plus its a lot cheaper (comparatively) to develop models these days in the world of modular aluminium chassis platforms as per vanquish / vantage, etc. Add in fly by wire and prodrives vehicle dynamics skills and it makes sense to me, particularly if well funded by inv banks on a leveraged basis - no direct recourse to DR/ prodrive other than to whatever equity DR puts into in the AM vehicle co, which he is probably well able to afford these days after years of coining it via Prodrive/WRC/F1 renault/ F1 honda/ etc despite his earlier share disposals. If it goes **** up - oh well - if it doesn't and the f1 works as well, then they have the ultimate halo brand (cf Ferrari) from F1 down to (currently) £80k prestige models which someone would buy off him for many multiples of his initial investment should he want to sell. Not too hard to envisage a boxter equivalent (P2?) and cayenne equivalent either.

In the meantime a proper petrol head gets to run it. I hope he wins the auction
Old 22 February 2007, 03:26 PM
Nobbie
Scooby Regular

Thats what Porsche have done for the last n years with re-incarnations of the 911.
Old 22 February 2007, 03:49 PM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Yep - gotta go with Fat Boy.
Rather it run by a petrol head than luxury goods company. A benelolent dictator is always going to be better than a committee.

V8 Vantage - 911. OK 911 probably wins, but Vantage PPP puts it back ahead.

V8 Vantge + supercharger to bring it up to 911 turbo level

4dr Rapide I think is going to be launched before the 4 dr Porsche

Vanquish is dead and AM needs a flagship super car, Porshe has Carrara GT, might we see an F1 derived Aston a la Ferrari F50 / Enzo

DB9 is a more relaxed car that Porsche doesn't really do.

But I have to say, please no AM 4x4

Range then:
Sports car Vantage
GT DB9
4 door GT Rapide
Supercar Can't wait (not sure DBS cuts it being a DB9 on speed)

Dave - if your reading this I wouldn't mind a job

Last edited by ClintUK; 22 February 2007 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Added comment
Old 22 February 2007, 04:20 PM
mikepaul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Minitrue
Correct: rather like Rover...
eh, try £300 million to do the job even half properly.

New Mondeo/ Vectra models from Ford and GM cost over 1.5 billion in development.

£10-20 million R&D would be very cheap and the results well like Rover; they did their best with the money available.

Don't understand why cash rich car companies like Renault, Toyota or Honda are not considering buying AM.

Rover Limited (not PLC) would be making quality cars today under 100% Honda ownership.
Old 22 February 2007, 10:17 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LLN.com
French luxury goods maker LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton SA — better known as just Louis Vuitton — has won an auction to acquire Aston Martin from Ford, according to a German news report.

The news will appear in weekly auto magazine Autobild tomorrow, according to MarketWatch, which obtained an advance copy of the article. The Autobild report cites well-placed but anonymous sources.

Earlier this week, bidding ended for Aston Martin, which has been up for "auction" since August. Ford is selling the successful sports car company in order to raise much-needed capital.

Ford will retain a 15 percent stake in the company, according to the report. No details on the sale price were given, but a report by Britain's Sunday Times in December put valuation as high as $1.2 billion.
Old 22 February 2007, 10:18 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Bidding for Aston Martin, which cash-strapped owner Ford is selling to raise a bit of wonga, is turning into a bit of a mess.

Or at least, it is for LVMH, the French group that owns luggage brand Louis Vuitton among dozens of others. The company's huge, turns over some $14 billion, and was heavily tipped on some news sites last week as Aston's new owner.

The company has since rebutted the suggestion, saying that the rumour was "absolute rubbish", and that there was no truth in the story. LVMH said that it was involved in the bidding for AM at first but "didn't even get to first base".

According to Autocar, AM boss Ulrich Bez was also vocal about being none too keen about working under a company with zero automotive industry experience, which can't have done much for LVMH's chances.

So we'll wait for the winner of the bidding to be announced, which is due in about a month. And given that it's likely Ford will retain a stake in the company, it may not be the highest bid that wins, but the one that offers the company the best chance of survival.
Old 22 February 2007, 10:19 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Prodrive might win then. My sources were wrong.

Apologies
Old 22 February 2007, 11:01 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Of course you were wrong!

Bluff!
Old 23 February 2007, 06:06 PM
slim_boy_fat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ClintUK
Porsche is profitable and managed to make the Carrara GT not to mention current 911, who are they owned by ?
Lols, try are the most profitable car company in the world.

And they now are majority shareholders of VAG group

So Porsche now own, VW, Audi, Lambo etc.......

Old 23 February 2007, 06:10 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

David Richards has a soft spot for Aston Martin.
Currently reading his book,you would be surprised at the Prodrive turnover each year. £!!!!