Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

M3 vs Saab

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2008, 07:44 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default M3 vs Saab

Had a bit of a sensible dice with an M3 cabrio, I was in my remapped (250/280) Saab 9-3 and I am not sure he was giving it total death but he wasnt hanging about (could hear it, sounded nice) and it didn't pull away any great distance over a few goes off roundabouts, I thought I would get my **** handed to me on a plate ?
Old 01 January 2008, 10:21 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the 250/280? bhp/lbft? I'm guessing if you have 280bhp through the front and were against the heavier Cabrio then it would not be unreasonable to expect you to put in a reasonable shift at keeping up.
Old 01 January 2008, 11:25 PM
Mike123
Scooby Regular

E36/E46 M3?

An E46 weighs about 200kg more than your Saab and has an extra 80ish horsepower - it's hardly going to streak away from you. You need big dollops of extra horsepower in similar weight cars to make an emphatic difference, esp if like you say he wasn't wringing the M3's neck

Last edited by Mike123; 01 January 2008 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02 January 2008, 09:49 AM
wilffive
Scooby Regular

I drive an M3 cab and your report sounds about right - it wont pull a big gap over short distances.

Agree with Mike 123's comments. In the past kept up with an M3 coupe pretty well in my old Clio Cup on B roads - M3's grunt mainly comes into its own at much higher speeds.
Old 02 January 2008, 11:28 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Agree that the SAAB will keep with one no problem at all.

My 04 9-3ss Aero with gentle mods suprises a lot of supposedly fast cars.
Old 02 January 2008, 12:08 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Hmm, was expecting a mild flaming !

We weren't going silly and it was a very clear/dry New Years Day evening road so as sensible as this kind of thing gets, just nice to get a couple of goes against something for a bit of reference, he was kind of hogging the outside lane and put his foot down but I expect thinking he would leave whatever was behind him miles behind (I wasnt being aggressive), repeated off the next roundabout but was ready and put his boot down and couldn't pull away, repeats a third time then indicates to turn off and slows down to see what it was behind him.

I am under no illusion that an M3 is quicker, I expected a greater margin but as you say, a cab is quite heavy so its perhaps not that much of a surprise, I expect handling wise it would be a lot better but mine is actually pretty capable but then I am coming from the rather wobbly old 9-3 so it doesn't have to be that good to seem loads better, it does surprise me how well it contains 280 lbs/ft, mild squirming in second when its wet so its not the handicap I thought it might be, glad I didnt chip the old one, it would have been evil.

Additionally a V8 S type was messing further on, old boy driving and he gave it a boot expecting to dissapear, didnt though.

So, not a sniff in three months and two in one journey, saying that, for the first month it was standard and to be honest a bit flat, for the second month it had been remapped but was stuttering under boost, eventually the new plugs arrived (Bloody Paypal E Cheques) and I changed them, totally transformation.
Old 02 January 2008, 04:25 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

There is a lot to be said for the straightline ability of FWD semi-luxo barges. My old 406 V6 had only 194bhp but it could seriously trouble machinery you think would leave it for dead especially in the 50-100+mph range.
Old 02 January 2008, 04:58 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Currently drive a E36 M3 Evo Convertible, and previously owned 2xSaab 93 Aero Hot's one stock and one running 240bhp. Both very capable cars, only problem was putting the power down off a roundabout. Full throttle with the slightest amount of steering would light up the wheels and whilst It felt like it was a rocket just couldn't get power down. The M3 puts the power down much better and cleaner.

But would agree the M3 isn't going to blast away. especially if its just a spirited blast just in second and third, and then back off again.

Same can be said with allot of cars, and have always maintained any cars running between 200ish -300ish bhp bracket with varying degrees of torque levels. Are never going to blast any one of them away, especially with blasts up to 80-100mph. The M3 comes into its own about 100+mph (private roads), but how often does anyone get the change to drop a cog at 120mph!.

My family motor is a Zafira GSI, (200bhp) FWD with loads of torque, and turbo on full song at 2K or less, and its a damn quick car around town. With only 200bhp it would suprise most scoobs and suprises me most times after jumping straight out of the M3 into it. The M3 is quicker but you have to convince it to go, where as the GSI with Turbo Punch at low revs, torque ,light throttle response, and a light clutch with light streering lends itself to a great point and squirt car. Its not bad even on an open road.

IMO Its only when you start getting into 400+/400+ territory you can start to do some real damage to claimed fast cars.
Old 02 January 2008, 10:29 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Rob, I suspect the GSI Zafira is the same as the Astra GSi, my mate has an 888 Coupe with 300 bhp and that was mental, it amazed me how quick it was, so with a bit of work you could have a hell of a machine.

SB, there isn't much of a hint of Barge about it, it doesnt do wafting very well, its a bit of a lost soul really, doesn't quite know what it is, it isnt a luxo barge, too hard, it isn't a sports saloon like the M3 or S4 as its FWD and not powerful enough (until its mapped).

Its crap on petrol, might as well have a Scoob at 22 mpg.
Old 03 January 2008, 01:33 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
SB, there isn't much of a hint of Barge about it, it doesnt do wafting very well, its a bit of a lost soul really, doesn't quite know what it is, it isnt a luxo barge, too hard, it isn't a sports saloon like the M3 or S4 as its FWD and not powerful enough (until its mapped).

Its crap on petrol, might as well have a Scoob at 22 mpg.
Strange, I always though all Saabs were fairly well equipped and set up with comfort and long cruising in mind. I've only driven one though and that was an old 9000 CD with a fairly gutless engine - solid as a tank in fairness.
Old 03 January 2008, 09:53 AM
skinters
Scooby Regular

Even with LSD my 9k Aero is a bit frustrating in this weather - on a warm dry day, it can seriously shift in 2nd though (still not worth mucking with 1st too much). Never get a chance to try it against other machinery really but it still makes me chuckle in 3rd even after a year on current tune and usually I get an itch for more.
Very comfy on a long haul too and gives me a real 30mpg at a steady 90 and although it's an 'old car' now I'm struggling to find a replacement for sensible money at the mo.

Last edited by skinters; 03 January 2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03 January 2008, 10:08 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skinters
Even with LSD my 9k Aero is a bit frustrating in this weather - on a warm dry day, it can seriously shift in 2nd though (still not worth mucking with 1st too much). Never get a chance to try it against other machinery really but it still makes me chuckle in 3rd even after a year on current tune and usually I get an itch for more.
Very comfy on a long haul too and gives me a real 30mpg at a steady 90 and although it's an 'old car' now I'm struggling to find a replacement for sensible money at the mo.
Yeah, I couldn't wait for you to sell it any longer !

The older engines are more tunable, I should imagine yours is quite a bit quicker than mine, one dealer was doing a new 9-5 for 24k with a factory approved tune to 300 bhp along with massive torque (380 I think).
Old 03 January 2008, 11:30 AM
skinters
Scooby Regular

Just about to start messing about with GT3071r - target is a stealthy but very useable 400bhp or so. (i.e. keep standard cams etc to ensure it's tractable in the low range too). Not bad for just turbo, fuel pump and injectors (and a few other bits and bobs). Engine does seem pretty unburstable at its current 340 or so. After 475+ you need to start thinking about internals though.
Just need to find an M3 and a road with no corners to compare it with
Old 03 January 2008, 03:56 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Rob, I suspect the GSI Zafira is the same as the Astra GSi, my mate has an 888 Coupe with 300 bhp and that was mental, it amazed me how quick it was, so with a bit of work you could have a hell of a machine.
Unfortunately its mainly the missus car and would be hard to convince her to let me get a remap But certainly packs a punch even in standard trim so can imagine a mildly modded one would be a proper little right rocket.

Its an all round nice car, and although Vaxhaull tends to get a bad rap think the later generation cars are well put together and now deliver a serious punch especially the GSI/VXR range. Strangely IMO Vaxhaulls seem to be getting better all the time, yet most Saab owners think the older generation saabs are better and yet I believe they are now one of the same.
Old 03 January 2008, 07:22 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

I thought GM owned Vauxhall and Saab? Therefore many similarities.
Old 03 January 2008, 08:44 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thesyn
I thought GM owned Vauxhall and Saab? Therefore many similarities.
Yeah, mine is basically a shortened Vectra chassis (Vectra SP ?) with a 2.0 litre version of the 2.2 engine fitted to Omegas, VX 200's and Bigger engined Astra, fitted with a turbo, Saab do their own thing with what GM give them.