Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Supra TT opinions from scoob or ex scoob owners

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2008, 10:01 AM
gt5500
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supra TT opinions from scoob or ex scoob owners

I am in the lucky position where I don't have to drive to work so I can have a car for a while and not worry about economy. Now I have got a very short shortlist, a bugeye wrx or a supra TT. The problem I am having is my heart wants the TT my head wants the scoob. The TT from what I can accertain is super reliable but its still a 13 yr old car(in my price bracket) the main reason however that my head says no is because the TT is car that needs respect and 110% concerntration and really doesn't like the rain or snow. This isn't a problem most of the year but I am terrified that it will bite me at some point, but I have always dreamed of one and always imagine it will feel amazing to own one. The scoob appeals because its a fast car in the real world in all conditions, as sports cars go it is reliable but they seem to have some problems, I do love them and have wanted one for a long time but I always end up thinking about buying a supra, almost as though something in me just doesn't want to own one. I just wondered if any one has had both or still has, be nice to hear the thoughts on the two.
Old 14 January 2008, 11:23 AM
mattbeef
Scooby Regular

I have never driven either but i have to say that if you have the chance to get one then do it.
You will more than likely regret doing it if you dont, plus im sure after a test drive in one you will have made up your own mind anyway
Old 14 January 2008, 12:18 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started looking but decided they were too old, too many were ruined by bad modifications, were auto's (even though the autos are ok, I didnt want one) heinous body kids and a single turbo 600 bhp monster may sound appealing but I would imagine I would kill or bankrupt myself running it, they had two turbos for a reason, one huge one just sounds like nothing, nothing then feel like the coyote on the rocket, no electronics on these or any safety equipment.
Old 14 January 2008, 12:50 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

A cheap shed Supra has a lot of potential to be a money pit. Save up and buy a decent unmodified or near standard one that's been looked after.
Old 14 January 2008, 08:57 PM
gt5500
Scooby Regular

If I got one it wouldn't be modified or 600bhp, nor would I buy a cheap one or a shed, 5-6k is about the going rate for a pre-facelift JDM auto TT (I would have no problem with an auto). Thanks for the interest, but I am after opinions from someone that has experienced both
Old 14 January 2008, 08:59 PM
gt5500
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mattbeef
I have never driven either but i have to say that if you have the chance to get one then do it.
You will more than likely regret doing it if you dont, plus im sure after a test drive in one you will have made up your own mind anyway
Yeah I know what you are saying but there is the old case that you should never live your dreams because they usually dissapoint, I am worried that I will be more regretfull if I buy one and write it off after hitting a tiny patch of ice. More importantly I am worried that I would forever be driving it like I was treading on egg shells and never really get to make use of the power.
Old 14 January 2008, 10:49 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gt5500
Yeah I know what you are saying but there is the old case that you should never live your dreams because they usually dissapoint, I am worried that I will be more regretfull if I buy one and write it off after hitting a tiny patch of ice. More importantly I am worried that I would forever be driving it like I was treading on egg shells and never really get to make use of the power.
I did drive the old shape turbo and that was indeed a bit scary, I dont think the new shape way quite as wayward but any high powered car deserves respect.

The people on the Supra forum mkivsupra.net were very helpful when I started looking, register on there and ask a few questions.
Old 15 January 2008, 12:41 PM
AK02AFK
Scooby Regular

I've got an Blobeye Scoob now and had 2 Supra's a TT and TT Aero.

Supra's are very fun to drive but yes, don't drive it like a Scoob else your well dead.

I had the fun job of being in the Silver Supra heading to Trax Silverstone 2006 having a blow out leaving a roundabout in my first Supra which was 480bhp and it held up well in a smash though against a post, only injury if you can call it was airbag burn.

Second one I just kept BPU (Basic Performance Upgrade) basically on Supra TT's just under £2000 will take you from standard 330bhp (285bhp listed due to Japan law back then) to over a nice 400bhp.

Acceleration was amazing, handling was good but twitchy!

Here is a few pics.

Silver one got smashed, storm blue was standard but I modded it a fair bit to as shown and sold it last year in the April heat wave for £4k more than I'd spent on it.

If Keith Michaels wonders why no claim on silver supra it's due to fact I wasn't driving and no claim was made due to it being finanically better off stripping than claiming on insurance.

Sign Post was £850 though to the council

Axis Milano's 19" deep dish 11.5" on rears 10.5" on fronts
Old 15 January 2008, 12:51 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

If you do get a Supra get the RaceLogic Traction Control. Best mod for the car. Booting it, in the wet, will produce a tail slide guaranteed but the handling is very good for a big car. No body roll but still comfy.

Here's mine and also what was left of it after bus came round a blind bend on the wrong side of the road. Very impractical though so we got the Wagon to replace it.

5t.

Old 15 January 2008, 01:34 PM
AK02AFK
Scooby Regular

RLTC is very good and MKIV supra forum often runs group buys
Old 15 January 2008, 02:30 PM
gt5500
Scooby Regular

Seems to me that the supra is a car that loves armco , I think I will resist my childhood dream and get a scoob instead, annoyingly the scoob is a lot more to insure then a jdm TT. However as much as I know I would enjoy the supe in the dry I want something a bit less brown trousers in the wet. Thanks guys, out of interest (that bloody demon won't shut up!) why did you move to scoobs? was it practicality? or is the supe just a bit too much car for british roads and weather?

Last edited by gt5500; 15 January 2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 15 January 2008, 02:50 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Always wanted a Supra so bought one simple as that. Would still have it now if coach boy had been driving properly!

At the end of the day though once it went it was time to get something else and the mrs was keen to get something with a bigger boot. I refuse to get a slow estate and i'd always wanted a subaru so picked up a nice 03 wagon on Christmas Eve last year.

5t.

Old 15 January 2008, 03:46 PM
AK02AFK
Scooby Regular

I switched for simple reason.

Spent £8k on it, got offered £12k. SOLD

Then got Clio V6 then got bored, then got Scoob which I love. Scoob is much better all round car for weather and drive in my opinion.
Old 15 January 2008, 04:03 PM
gt5500
Scooby Regular

Arghh you guys are as bad as me!!! I think I have it figured though, people like me always wanted a supe, they buy one and then realise its a silly car for our roads and weather. But they love it so much they don't care, but when there is a reason to change it they do! think I may skip the buying it and cr4pping myself stage and go straight to the scoob.
Old 15 January 2008, 06:11 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

My manual non-turbo 3L Supra was £500 more to insure than my 4-door STi3 for which I sold it for after only 6 months.
Toyota was great to drive although lacked grunt due to no turbos. Handled well for a big car, very predictable and easy to control. Fun around wet islands too!
Downside was it was so big for an impracticle car and a nightmare to get in/out of in standard parking spaces.
I never saw above 20mpg but I guess that was perhaps down to the age of the car (94) as well as the big engine. - My 350Z can return 30mpg on a run and 23-ish around town but it's a lot newer and I guess more refined engine etc..
I've not tried a TT but would love a go in one. If you do go for it try and find a manual as most TTs are autos.

Nick
Old 15 January 2008, 07:19 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Coaches, Blowouts, unlucky these Supras.

I am surprised none are down to a lack of driving talent.
Old 15 January 2008, 07:39 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

My mate is considering selling his auto JDM TT, probably in your price bracket. If you want details let me know.
Old 15 January 2008, 08:17 PM
AK02AFK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO

Well I had the Storm Blue long enough and never crashed it and as for the Silver i'd no reason to defend the driver.

I've made driver errors in Supra's and corrected ie. turbo spooling leaving a bend and back end flying out more than expected, the Clio V6 was worse to control and a Scoob is much more forgiving.

I don't consider myself the worlds greatest driver and believe everyone makes driver errors, I travel around 60,000 miles a year so I make several along my journey but guess it's how you deal with them
Old 15 January 2008, 10:04 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AK02AFK
Well I had the Storm Blue long enough and never crashed it and as for the Silver i'd no reason to defend the driver.

I've made driver errors in Supra's and corrected ie. turbo spooling leaving a bend and back end flying out more than expected, the Clio V6 was worse to control and a Scoob is much more forgiving.

I don't consider myself the worlds greatest driver and believe everyone makes driver errors, I travel around 60,000 miles a year so I make several along my journey but guess it's how you deal with them
I suspect I might have binned it had I took the plunge.
Old 16 January 2008, 09:40 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO

If you look you can see the wreckage is a good 2ft on my side of the road. I hit him at all of 30 mph but as you can also see the road has a banking and between that banking and the road is a small stream so i had absolutely no where to go. Soaking wet, heading downhill too, i scrubbed off as much speed as possible (it is a 60 mph limit) but you hit something that size it is going to hurt and a Supra that big doesn't stop that fast either under those conditions.

For reference i've also done advanced driving and skid control with a Rospa/Police instructor through Knockhill so i'm not uninitiated although as above i wouldn't say i'm the greatest driver. I think anyone that does is asking for trouble.

5t.
Old 16 January 2008, 01:40 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
If you look you can see the wreckage is a good 2ft on my side of the road. I hit him at all of 30 mph but as you can also see the road has a banking and between that banking and the road is a small stream so i had absolutely no where to go. Soaking wet, heading downhill too, i scrubbed off as much speed as possible (it is a 60 mph limit) but you hit something that size it is going to hurt and a Supra that big doesn't stop that fast either under those conditions.

For reference i've also done advanced driving and skid control with a Rospa/Police instructor through Knockhill so i'm not uninitiated although as above i wouldn't say i'm the greatest driver. I think anyone that does is asking for trouble.

5t.

5t, Sorry, couldnt resist, I don't troll very often, but when I do.......
Old 16 January 2008, 01:42 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

That's why you got two sensible answers i think not a **** off!
Old 16 January 2008, 04:56 PM
gt5500
Scooby Regular

Call me ghey but I have just seen my first pic of a supra boot jesus I don't use the boot for much and I know the supra is not meant to be an estate car but thats not a boot its a shelf. No wonder I haven't seen a pic of one before. I think I will stick to the scoob idea, seems safer and more sensible and I think as I am not of the death wish disposition I will have more fun in a scoob, I may put a pic of a supra on my wall though
Old 16 January 2008, 08:33 PM
wrxcraig
Scooby Regular

i would go for the supra everytime, my m8 had got one in so had to test drive it for 3 days to see if it could be used as an everyday car with 2 kids, I loved listening to the twin turbos swirling, also the feeling you get as your sat low down and the cockpit surrounds you, sadly i couldnt get it as my eldest daughter couldnt sit safetly and the car seat at the current time was to big which meant the misses was sitting that far forward she was kissing the wind screen which i didnt have a problem with.
Give it time and i will have one.

one day