Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2008, 04:03 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default volvo 850 T5r

probably done to death!?

so sorry

but what are the pitfalls of ownership?, i am thinking of buying one as a general run around/toy?

is it true that they have forged internals?
Old 18 January 2008, 04:49 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Driven a fair few.
Quick in straight line. They can really shift.
The engine is the the thing that stands out - the rest of the car doesnt shine.
Volvos of that age - not as reliable as some make out.
Steering racks are often a weak point on volvos - esp V70s

I am sure that someone else will come along that knows more.

Steve
Old 18 January 2008, 04:59 PM
burns
Scooby Regular

Next door neighbour had one for years and the only problem he had was small oil leaks from the back of the engine,which cost him about £400 to fix.
Old 18 January 2008, 05:01 PM
Mew
Scooby Regular

not quite bmw or merc price but in my eyes still a bloody tank lol

if u ever ever crash u know that ur walking away at the very least lol
Old 18 January 2008, 05:26 PM
stuh1981
Scooby Regular

Not sure about the forged internals but I was brought up with Volvo's as my dad was obsessed with them.

You get a T5, a T5-R and an R. The T5 is the most common and are extremely reliable. The R is a monster and early models were FWD. Only later did they intruduce this car with AWD.

The T5-R is the rarest of the three, not many were made at all. If I am correct the majority of them are green or yellow. I dont think you will lose any money on one if you bought it.

Make sure it is a T5-R as a lot of T5 owners would buy a T5-R badge and to people who dont know a lot about them they would think that they are the same car.

I would imagine you could get an 850 T5 for as little as 1K wheras a T5-R would be over 3K. All three are very good and very fast. You will not be disapointed with straight line performance but the handling is not as sharp.

I owned a T4 for 18 months and really enjoyed it. Have you seen one that you like yet?
Old 18 January 2008, 06:08 PM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

I heard 850 T5 is the ultimate "sleeper".
Old 18 January 2008, 07:29 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

The 850 T5 is 225bhp
The T5R is 240bhp
The 850R is 250 bhp
S/V70 is 240bhp
850 T5 has a far more urgent power delivery
RICA chip takes the S/V 70 to 300bhp
I had a T5 S70 for a few years and it was extremely reliable. Things to look out far are the rear main oil seal. (50p part but lots of labour) and worn front tyres expect 10k max even driving sensibly. Despite what people who have not driven them say, they are extremely quick paricularly in the mid range.
Ex police cars are cheap but ragged.

Last edited by s70rjw; 18 January 2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 18 January 2008, 07:33 PM
scooby_will
Scooby Regular

my dad used to have the T5 V70 (newer one with shoulders) and man that was an awsome car, he to is into tuning and his was running 440hp, was THE ultimate sleeper.
Old 19 January 2008, 01:53 AM
munna
Scooby Regular

Cool

hi guys

thanks for the posts!

seen one in yellow, saloon, with 116k on the clock but full history, the car is currently down in Surrey at a local garage, its up for £4k, its just 'the not knowing part of ownership' that i am scared of!, i know more or less what to look out for on an impreza, etc, but a high performance volvo is a little out of my league!!

just basically going through my wish list of cars that i wish i could have had when i was 19 going onto 20!!, (Even though i had my first impreza turbo at 20!!)
wow, that was a 12 years ago!, so far have been through more or less all of them apart form the big one!, 3 more years i will have to wait for her!!..the big bottomed ***** that she is!!..Porche 911(993)incase you were wondering, its amazing how much you grow to love the word depreciation as the days go by!!?
Old 19 January 2008, 09:42 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont rule out the normal T5, I drove both, the R was a bit hard and had some evil wood on the dash, looked like it was from a budget coffin.

The R didn't seem any quicker, our T5 didnt have many luxuries but the R was fully loaded up with Air con and leccy seats so perhaps it was heavier ?

Steve is right, the engine is great and the rest of the car is just good in terms of sportiness, a fantastic family car though.

We had ours for 4 years and 40k, just needed the engine damper at the top replacing, dead easy, the engine was sweet as a nut, it turned up on Ebay, still immaculate four years later !

They don't handle, they will corner fast but not like a Scoob will, they tend to unload the inside front and vaporize it, its a bit like hanging on for grim death.

Performance wise, froma standstill, at the time, a standard UK Classic woulod murder one, once rolling, past thirty the Volvo would reel in and pass.

Very tunable, we never did ours but I would do if I had one now (just done my never Swedish turbo barge, 9-3 Aero), it was my wifes car and she loved it, at the time, the T5 had a fantastic image which has faded with time but I still get nostalgic when I see one, especially the R in custard yellow which was the coolest car available in 1995 !

A lot have been ruined by the cheapest/fastest brigade.

Tyres, just buy 40 quid budget stuff, then you dont worry about replacing and ruining them, we tried dearer ones, the engine doesnt care and neither does the chassis, it just shreds them anyway.

Oil, synth all the way, ours had no deposits, sludge or anything, still surgically clean after 70k, made Halfords change it when they proudly told me they had put Magnatec in it when I specifically said fully synth, mineral oil ruins these engines.

Clutches can judder, ours always did, took it in under warranty, they all do that sir due to the massive flywheel used to try and tame the power delivery.

MPG, about 24.

Suspension and brakes, easy to change and cheap if you use Eurocarparts or GSF. did the wishbones, disc, pads etc.

Insurance, dead cheap compared to a Scoob, I was 27 and it was only £400.

They dont rust, interiors are robust, go for it.
Old 19 January 2008, 09:47 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YouTube - Crazy volvo 850
Old 19 January 2008, 11:50 AM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

Great Chassis.
I was in a friends 850 estate (not T5) when we were T boned at a roundabout (est impact 40mph), I was in the passenger side and got out with a badly bruised thigh. I woudn't be typing here now if I was in a ford or something else.
Old 19 January 2008, 02:47 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

YouTube - Volvo crashes in test

Opps !