Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Trouble over at the Volvo forum?

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2008, 10:38 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble over at the Volvo forum?

Board Closed

Sounds as though someone has complained about the work carried out by a Volvo garage and had a lot of people in agreement with their shoddy work. The Garage has threatened the owner of the forum with legal action so the admin have closed the site completely.....
Old 28 March 2008, 10:43 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Shame really, should be allowed to have an opinion about work done on your car, even if it is a Vulva
Old 28 March 2008, 10:48 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Why take legal action against the site?

Tha Garage in questiion would hardly be taking legal action if someone else was saying what a great service they provide, and people should buy a car from that dealer.

Hopefully the case will never reach court. How can a Forum owner be responsible for what every member types? Let alone be financialy liable.

Looks like the dealer is after a scapegoat.
Old 28 March 2008, 10:52 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

Maybe the owners of this site can clarify more, but i understand the owners of ANY forum are liable forthe content. Does that mean your liable for somone elses opinion?
Old 28 March 2008, 01:07 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which Garage is it ?
Old 28 March 2008, 01:13 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

i thought if the site had a disclaim(like the one you see at the bottom of sn home page)that cover you in such an event.

Important - Opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of ScoobyNet or any individuals directly or indirectly involved in this website or the companies and individuals associated with it. No responsibility is taken or assumed for any comments or statements made on this or any associated or relating bulletin board
Old 28 March 2008, 01:14 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Exactly . . .

Opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of ScoobyNet or any individuals directly or indirectly involved in this website or the companies and individuals associated with it. No responsibility is taken or assumed for any comments or statements made on this or any associated or relating bulletin board.

In this case maybe its an official Volvo Owners Club? Still shouldn't stop freedom of speech.
Old 28 March 2008, 05:41 PM
slim_boy_fat
Scooby Regular

You will probably find the garage in question is owned by a director of the volvo owners club.

Sounds like no one running that forum has any backbone.

Dont think the world will end without it, better of closed.
Old 28 March 2008, 05:55 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Board of Directors of the Volvo Owners Club
This probably sums things up, why does a car club need a board of directors?
Old 28 March 2008, 06:50 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I would just like to say that Chartoak Motors of Wilmslow are a bunch of scamming crooks with no concept of customer service, the also lied on several occasions and sold a car not fit for purpose.
Old 28 March 2008, 07:18 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy
This probably sums things up, why does a car club need a board of directors?
Same reason why Free Masons need a suspicious handshake??

Old 28 March 2008, 09:58 PM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I would just like to say that Chartoak Motors of Wilmslow are a bunch of scamming crooks with no concept of customer service, the also lied on several occasions and sold a car not fit for purpose.
lol, own a Volvo Jacko?
Old 29 March 2008, 09:56 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 94impreza
lol, own a Volvo Jacko?
Nah, was a Fiat Coupe that used more oil than petrol, should have known to walk away as when I went to collect it the front tyres were flat and the gear **** missing, you live and learn, Garage didnt return calls, were rude when I did go and made it clear they had no interest in helping out, they dont appear to be there now, probably moved.
Old 31 March 2008, 05:40 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Looked at two cars they had in stock over the years and both were nails!

And they didnt have the time of day for me either, so they will never get any business off me or anyone i know if i can help it
Old 31 March 2008, 06:25 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
Exactly . . .

Opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of ScoobyNet or any individuals directly or indirectly involved in this website or the companies and individuals associated with it. No responsibility is taken or assumed for any comments or statements made on this or any associated or relating bulletin board.

In this case maybe its an official Volvo Owners Club? Still shouldn't stop freedom of speech.
Unfortunately that disclaimer has been proven to be ineffective:

The administrator/owner of the site is still seen as responsible to ensure accuracy of information is given on their website; So slanderous comments, exaggerated stories, unfounded and liabel comments can be acted on.

The problem is often caused where people spout off and exagerate the truth and big up their stories instead of sticking to basic facts. All it takes is a few stupid individuals to get a bee in their bonnet and spount "xxx is sh*t, Don't use them, they are a bunch of useless *ankers who have completely wrecked my car and ripped me off".

This is libel, and can be acted on. And that means it needs removing from the servers that store this information - therefore the forum is responsible, and hence the owner/webmaster/adminstrator. As a result damages could be claimed for continued publication of unfounded allegations.

On the contrary, an individual posting up an invoice for say; a full service at "XXX garage" which included oil and inspection of the brakes. Giving no warnings or advisories. And then posting evidence that an independant inspector/engineer has inspected the same car within a few days and the written report states that the brake pads are down to the metal and the engine is very low on oil - of which is thick and black, backed up by a labratory report that shows the oil aged. Then stating the veiwers can make their own mind up.

The latter can still be acted on, but so long as the information stays true and accurate, then legal action on the site conveying such information is going to make it much harder to find a case that would sucessfully remove it and award damages.

From a webmaster's point of view, even if it was the latter case - the information would be pulled anyway. Just to gain a quiet and peaceful life. No forum owner wants solicitor's letters landing on their doorstep because of someone mouthing off - be it fact or unfounded

Last edited by Shark Man; 31 March 2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04 April 2008, 01:11 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Gentoo boss gets £100,000 payout - Sunderland Echo

Can see why they'd be worried