Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Skoda Fabia - comments please

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2002, 08:03 PM
howardb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

My folks are looking for a new car and are considering a Skoda Fabia (hatch version). They'll have a test drive later this week and then make a decision. As they are both OAP's they just want a car that gets them from A to B in one piece and relative comfort. (My dad has the use of my Evo6 when he wants a blast)

As my family are new to the Skoda marque, any comments would be welcome, good or bad. They are looking at the 1.4 16V which I think may relate to a Golf engine.

Many thanks.
Old 17 February 2002, 08:59 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Fabia is a great little car, not my choice anymore in the supermini class but used to be.
The engine was first fitted to the Polo 16v by the way, only concern would be fuel economy, you'd need to have a look at the gearing. Might be in the low 30's. Chassis is superb, fluid and comfortable, cabin is spacious and very well built. Stereos are crap though, but I doubt that will matter to your old man. Overall its very good, wouldn't keep winning awards otherwise, it was What Car of the Year. Residuals are excellent also, as there are still not many being sold, about 17-20,000 last year if I remember, and most are still with their first owners. Plus you get a proper 3 year manufacturers warranty. (little advertised fact all these 3 year warranties advertised by Ford, Vauxhall, Volkwagen et al are no such thing. They are one year manufacturers warranty with a free 2 year dealer warranty option topping it up, and dealer warranties have more exclusions as we all know.)
Just incase your wondering which I like the best at the moment, its the new Honda Jazz. Well equipped in SE trim, air-con, abs, ebd, airbags galore, plus easy 45mpg and the most room of any car in its class.

Choose either one and you won't go far wrong, but there are lots of new cars coming very soon, new Polo is out now (overpriced and little if any better than a Fabia, both use the same chassis), new Fiesta is almost here, Citroen C3 and Seat Ibiza are due too.

Hope this helps.
Old 18 February 2002, 01:10 PM
howardb
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Reffro. I'll tell them about the new Honda. No harm in looking may be a little too 'stylish' for them though.

Old 18 February 2002, 01:48 PM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

tdi - diesel power rocks!!!

OOPS had a mad moment there - sorry
Old 26 February 2002, 07:57 PM
howardb
Scooby Regular

Smile

Well Mr Reffro, I hold you personally responsible. After telling my folks about the new Jazz, they went out, test drove one and promptly bought one. Comes in two weeks.

Many thanks for the tip!
Old 27 February 2002, 09:36 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Well I sincerely hope they enjoy their new car. Its a bit scary to hear they bought it, but they obviously liked it themselves. It is a great little car, and being a Honda, as long as its serviced it will give faithful service.

Just quickly do you know which trim they went for?
Old 27 February 2002, 12:50 PM
howardb
Scooby Regular

Reffro
They went for the 1.4i-DSI SE in mint opal green metalic. Other than that its standard trim. Did a test drive with them and its a nice little car.

They test drove a the 'special edition' Civic along with a Skoda and Rover.

I think they'll be well happy with the car. The only downer was the servicing costs, but I think they've done a deal on that.
Old 27 February 2002, 05:54 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

I agree 100% with Reffro. Have been looking at both cars myself recently.

Fabia was v fun to drive a real eye opener. Jazz was slightly more limited by MPV dynamics but was quicker and had loads of equipment.