Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

3000 GTOs

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2002, 08:17 PM
Sparks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Posting for a neighbour who wants to buy one.

Basically he asked me about them and I know very little except they are generally regarded as being big, heavy and a tad slow. He would ideally like a NA version as he has been put off a twin turbo by reports of horrendous fuel economy. I think the NA one is gonna be a bit slow.. he is currently driving a NA 3.0 Mk III supra.
Anyway, whats the crack with these things ? this 4WS stuff sounds a tad expensive when it goes wrong.. whats the fuel economy really like ? servicing costs ? any common faults to look out for ? looking at 92-94 cars.

any help gratefully received.

( note: I did find the gto owners club board and will post there shortly... )
Old 18 February 2002, 08:53 AM
MattN
Scooby Regular

no such thing as a 3000 GTO.

The UK models are called 3000GT
jap versions are are called the GTO

Fuel economy was about 21mpg in mine which was a TT manual. As for being slow, well I can safely say it's faster than a scoob and handles really well.

The NA ones aren't slow but they are not fast either, still most have an aftermarket exhaust and push out 230+bhp so still shift, 100 comes up in about 18 seconds or so. Spec is not as good on NA ones and fuel economy is only about 2-3 mpg more (cos you drive it that much harder than the TT!).

As for the 4WS etc. Well your being a car that cost 50k new so parts won't be cheap to replace, the good news though if you can find a 1 or 2 owner car means it will probably be well looked after as it cost the owner a fortune to buy! As with any performance car if things go wrong they can be expensive to fix.

MkIV Supra's are faster but more expensive.
Old 18 February 2002, 02:41 PM
stevie c
Scooby Regular

Wink

another thing to remember with these is that if it has aftermarket alloys,make sure they are the same size/ratio to each other or the diff gets knackered!

The car is correctly geared for the original wheels,but as soon as you change the size you put a strain on your baby!

Steve
Old 20 February 2002, 03:52 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

They do have weakesses - the early cars had an "active aero" package that packed up regulalry enough for them to give up and stop installing it (no recall coz it is a Mitsu after all ).

We have a buddy who has had 4 trips back to fix the box, it has now been replaced twice in a year

Not a fan myself, but it certainly is fast!