Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Ford focus 1.8 tdci starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2009, 07:19 PM
TURBOTRONICS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford focus 1.8 tdci starting problems

My sister in law if having an intermittent starting problem with her focus 1.8 tdci
The problem can happen just once a month or very regularly
What happens is instead of the glow plug light coming on for say 20 seconds it just flashes on for a second. When iv checked the relay under the bonnet that also just clicks on for the same length of time
Now tonight when she came out of work it was doing it again so I removed the relay and put my meter across the terminals the feed only came on for a second and then went off so im assuming it’s not the relay
As I was bloody freezing I decided to just bridge the gap to get the plugs glowing and get it started
Has any one come across this before or has any ideas what could be causing it
Old 22 January 2009, 09:40 PM
andrew jeffs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TURBOTRONICS
My sister in law if having an intermittent starting problem with her focus 1.8 tdci
The problem can happen just once a month or very regularly
What happens is instead of the glow plug light coming on for say 20 seconds it just flashes on for a second. When iv checked the relay under the bonnet that also just clicks on for the same length of time
Now tonight when she came out of work it was doing it again so I removed the relay and put my meter across the terminals the feed only came on for a second and then went off so im assuming it’s not the relay
As I was bloody freezing I decided to just bridge the gap to get the plugs glowing and get it started
Has any one come across this before or has any ideas what could be causing it
my tdci focus has a identical problem,aparantly not even the ford dealers knows what it is,i have just got mine back from the dealer and they found no problems and the ecu error check was clear.Mine only does this when the car is stone cold,it never does it again after that initial start.If you look some threads are available on the net,but again with no cure
Old 27 January 2009, 06:27 PM
TURBOTRONICS
Scooby Regular

This is the problem
if I could find out what activates the relay for the heater plugs I might be in with a better chance
is it the ecu or a separate timer
the relay its self is defiantly not a timer relay iv had it out and had a look so something must tell it how long to run for