Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

There's a Credit Crunch.....................

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2009, 09:28 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default There's a Credit Crunch.....................

.......................so stop wingeing about the value of your car.

Car production is down 48%, we are officially in a recession, unemployment is nudging 2million and you need about 99.9% deposit to get a mortgage on a house.

Bite the bullet and wake up
Old 24 January 2009, 09:31 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who rattled your cage
Old 24 January 2009, 09:52 PM
prwatts
Scooby Regular

He works for the Gophermunt so he is fireproof....
He is just annoyed cos he has a Forrester and wishes he could trade up to a Rex, and petrol is soooo cheap...even V Power.
Old 25 January 2009, 09:50 AM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Do we take it your Saturday night didn't go to plan

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon

Car production is down 48%, we are officially in a recession, unemployment is nudging 2million and you need about 99.9% deposit to get a mortgage on a house.

Old 25 January 2009, 02:24 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

It did.

Just getting fed up of "oooooh my god my cars only worth peanuts!". Loads of peeps cannot even afford to change their cars or feed their kids.

It's just a reality check on the "Thatchers Children" generation who think they derserve everything on a plate with garnish.

Bit of a rant I know but come on guys!
Old 25 January 2009, 03:28 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

So no-one is allowed to whinge about being led by the ***** into a recession making everything we own almost valueless?

I think you need to wake up.
Old 25 January 2009, 06:16 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

No, the childen born in her reign.

Everyone seems to be greedy for something and it was Labour who lead us into this recession. Labour where in power when the seeds where sown for the recession that hit us in the early 80's.

But, it's global so who is really to blame, banks because they lost so much money lending to yanks who had none? sub prime lenders?

I know I am playing the devils advocate but this is going to be around for a while so we need to get on with coping and stop whingeing!

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 25 January 2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 25 January 2009, 06:42 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

I think that people are missing the big question here... why use Other Marques to vent your rage?

Cheers,
Grant
Old 25 January 2009, 07:56 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People have always been greedy, its just that nowadays it is possible to get things, cars, gadgets etc even if you aren't wealthy, back before the wars, there wasn't that much to aspire to, cars were for the very rich but over the years people have got used to more, everyones one the latest and greatest, the best food, everyones a expert consumer.
Old 25 January 2009, 09:09 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon

Well I may be an unemployed bum, public enemy no. 1 in NSR and have a small *****, but at least I have an appreciating car
Old 27 January 2009, 11:10 AM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Without wishing to get to philosophical about it, It’s the society we live in that’s caused it IMO. We are generally a greedy nation and very materialistic, and don’t really have a grip on what really matters in life. Its all too easy to get big loans, mortgages, finance, and credit on new TV’s etc. This sort of spending and borrowing will catch up in the end, and whilst you could argue the banks and government have been a little irresponsible, WE are the driving forcing behind it.

Thankfully once I had kids, my outlook on life became very different, and whilst I still have a modest mortgage, I no longer owe anyone anything, and I’m currently living well within my means. As a result life is good, and I take great enjoyment from just spending time with my kids, and its amazing the fun you can have for FREE.

Don’t get me wrong I'm not saying be a total scrooge either, as that will likely bring the financial cogs to a grinding halt.. I’m not one for squirreling money away, so still very much enjoy life but unless I have the money in my hand I won’t spend it. I will be going to the Canary islands in a few months on holiday and I will get a takeaway or go out to lunch when I feel like it, and I will continue to muck about with cars, but only if its truly my money, and not borrowed money, and will try and have just a little money set aside for a rainy day.

But In truth I could give the above up in a blink if I really had to. So long as I can put food on the table and pay for the roof over my head, and my family and I have our health, I will always be happy.

Its people that can’t even afford to this, through no fault or lack of effort of there own that I really sympathise with, and genuinely really feel for the thousands of people you constantly hear lost there job at the moment.

And going to the total extreme - even people that have just lost there job, should take comfort that they have there health, we do have a national health service, and we do have a government that will always try and house people and hand out enough to at least put food on the table. There are nations and people that don’t know where there next meal is coming from or whether they are going to get a bomb dropped on there head.

So in summary after a very long lead up I agree – Stop wining about the price of your car – Its just a car and a lump of metal.

Last edited by RobEvo5; 27 January 2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 27 January 2009, 11:13 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Thatchers children??? You really are deluded if you think that our current *problems* stem from any attitudes conceived when she was in power!

Dave
Sorry Dave, but they do!! Greed is good, dog eat dog, loadsamoney, material possessions are everything, buy now - pay tomorrow - all mantras of the Thatcher years.

Then Labour come along and instead of steadying the ship throw petrol on the fire

In fact what you are seeng on the financial markets is essentially the death of Thacherism.

Last edited by f1_fan; 27 January 2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 27 January 2009, 11:18 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I have completely written off the value of both our cars.
Don't care what Parkers or Glass's guides say, I consider them to be worth nothing at all. In fact if I had to list our assets, I'd leave them out.

Yes they are hardly prestige (although this seems to not matter anyway) but they "would" have been worth about £10-12k between them.

I'd be happy to get £6k for both if I needed to sell them.

Not worth worrying about - unless you have a big loan on a car!
Old 27 January 2009, 11:39 AM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

If i want to moan about lossing 10k on the noble in a year i think i can. and will.... FFS....
Old 27 January 2009, 10:09 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by RobEvo5
Without wishing to get to philosophical about it, It’s the society we live in that’s caused it IMO. We are generally a greedy nation and very materialistic, and don’t really have a grip on what really matters in life. Its all too easy to get big loans, mortgages, finance, and credit on new TV’s etc. This sort of spending and borrowing will catch up in the end, and whilst you could argue the banks and government have been a little irresponsible, WE are the driving forcing behind it.

Thankfully once I had kids, my outlook on life became very different, and whilst I still have a modest mortgage, I no longer owe anyone anything, and I’m currently living well within my means. As a result life is good, and I take great enjoyment from just spending time with my kids, and its amazing the fun you can have for FREE.

Don’t get me wrong I'm not saying be a total scrooge either, as that will likely bring the financial cogs to a grinding halt.. I’m not one for squirreling money away, so still very much enjoy life but unless I have the money in my hand I won’t spend it. I will be going to the Canary islands in a few months on holiday and I will get a takeaway or go out to lunch when I feel like it, and I will continue to muck about with cars, but only if its truly my money, and not borrowed money, and will try and have just a little money set aside for a rainy day.

But In truth I could give the above up in a blink if I really had to. So long as I can put food on the table and pay for the roof over my head, and my family and I have our health, I will always be happy.

Its people that can’t even afford to this, through no fault or lack of effort of there own that I really sympathise with, and genuinely really feel for the thousands of people you constantly hear lost there job at the moment.

And going to the total extreme - even people that have just lost there job, should take comfort that they have there health, we do have a national health service, and we do have a government that will always try and house people and hand out enough to at least put food on the table. There are nations and people that don’t know where there next meal is coming from or whether they are going to get a bomb dropped on there head.

So in summary after a very long lead up I agree – Stop wining about the price of your car – Its just a car and a lump of metal.
Old 28 January 2009, 08:08 AM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

Looking at car prices the behaviour is interesting. I need to get a small five door car for the nanny and quality low cost diesel cars have hardly gone down in price. Even Skoda and Seat seem to be holding their value. Certainly compared to higher spec, bigger engined performance cars that can be bought for silly money.

Even at the small end, my Suzuki Swift Sport has gone down by 40% over two years, whereas the equivalent 1.5 GL or the diesel has only gone down by 20%.

Also the number of cars on Autotrader is falling at around 5,000 cars a week. Eventually low stock will slow the fall in prices and demand will increase over supply. Same with houses....eventually!

Final thing I have noticed is that APRs on any finance deal at the moment are REALLY stupid. Hard to see less than 10%
Old 28 January 2009, 10:09 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

or pay off your mortgage whilst the rates are low..!!

..and buy your self a porch turbo runaround, save a few quid
Old 28 January 2009, 10:33 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Anyone saying "x brand depreciates less" in this current climate is very silly.
ALL cars are depreciating at a rate akin an anvil falling off a cliff.
Old 28 January 2009, 12:28 PM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Anyone saying "x brand depreciates less" in this current climate is very silly.
ALL cars are depreciating at a rate akin an anvil falling off a cliff.
Having spent a lot of time looking at Autotrader I am not sure I agree.

Small, quality diesels are just not depreciating the same way as premium small cars (i.e GTI, GT, Sport models), with VW leading the way.

Large premium is like an anvil off a cliff and Scoobies even more so!
Old 28 January 2009, 12:31 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spooky Mulder
Having spent a lot of time looking at Autotrader I am not sure I agree.

Small, quality diesels are just not depreciating the same way as premium small cars (i.e GTI, GT, Sport models), with VW leading the way.

Large premium is like an anvil off a cliff and Scoobies even more so!
I'd like to add to the foray if I may. Is this depreciation including older cars of more than 5-10 years. As you/matteeboy may have seen in my comment above, my car isn't quite eligable for classic insurance or free car tax, yet it is appreciating in value.

It's not exactly rare, although obviously not as common as a modern small euro 'deisel' box.

Kind of on the above, I would tend to agree more so with spooky over mattee, but only if the depreciation on cars is being spread over more than brandnew cars or nearly new cars.

Think that makes sense
Old 28 January 2009, 12:49 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

There's a big difference between what cars are advertised at and what they are selling for - same as houses.

CoB -What is your car? I've forgotten!

Anyway, I maintain that I have written off our two cars as having any value.
Old 28 January 2009, 01:00 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

There's a big difference between what cars are advertised at and what they are selling for - same as houses.

CoB -What is your car? I've forgotten!

Anyway, I maintain that I have written off our two cars as having any value.
A little 205 GTi. It may have no increased in value more than a couple hundred quid, but it certainly had depreciated, and thats having put 8,000 miles on it in 7 months.

All imho.
Old 28 January 2009, 01:05 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

1.9 or 1.6?

Was always a Golf man myself (had an 8v Gti for two years) but still love the 205s.
Old 28 January 2009, 01:09 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

1.9 or 1.6?

Was always a Golf man myself (had an 8v Gti for two years) but still love the 205s.
The 1905cc naturally
Old 28 January 2009, 07:20 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

my brother went to buy a Caterham7 the other day (From Caterham)

Salesman was absolutly adamant, no discounts

any they seem to hold their value too
Old 28 January 2009, 07:36 PM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

I agree, however the undertone of your comment I do not agree with.

Are you really saying that there is a whole segment of the market out there (2-4 year old small VW stable diesels) that are over-priced compared to their 'sport petrol' counterparts or larger cars?

I doubt it.

Just as an aside I have just sold my Scooby at 3.1 years of age and it has depreciated by 51%. Not bad in the current market, certainly not anvil off a cliff. Even in the good times Scoobies were retaining 60% of value after 3 years.
Old 29 January 2009, 03:20 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't worry, the printing press will soon be in action and there will be pleanty of £'s to buy our cars.
Old 29 January 2009, 04:39 PM
Jacey Boy
Scooby Regular

I for one love the credit crunch, it means I can buy toys for less, as I have money to spend.....
Old 29 January 2009, 06:28 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jacey Boy
I for one love the credit crunch, it means I can buy toys for less, as I have money to spend.....
Pass that man a cigar.

No wait, **** him, he can afford his own

Quick Reply: There's a Credit Crunch.....................