BMW, Ultimate driving machine?

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2009, 05:34 PM
stuart n
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW, Ultimate driving machine?

Why do they say that BMW's are the ultimate driving machine
All i've seen for the last 2 days are loads of them struggling to get traction on the snow and ice. My neighbour had to leave his M3 at the bottom of the road as it refused to get up the small hill we live on, my mums £300 306 turbo diesel went straight up the hill much to my neighbours disgust
Old 03 February 2009, 05:42 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They don't do proper snow without winter or snow tyres.
Old 03 February 2009, 05:53 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

On balance I would rather walk a few yards owning an M3 than avoid those few yards in a Pug 306.
Old 03 February 2009, 05:59 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Useless piece of junk. 306 would have been better.
Old 03 February 2009, 06:17 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Looks like you had a "Ah **** this, I'm not clearing any more off" moment
Old 03 February 2009, 06:20 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
I've driven BMW's, 911s (RWD), Mercs, Ferrari's in the snow and never had a problem or skidded/spun unless it was deliberate. It's not hard.
I just love statements like this. You have never skidded on snow. Whatever LOL!

Trending Topics

Old 03 February 2009, 06:33 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

personally I like the clarification in his statement that it was the rwd 911s he has driven. Wonder which fwd ones he avoided
Old 03 February 2009, 06:51 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

My BM is garbage in the snow. No matter how I drive it it's got rubbish traction & does not stop. The run flats are not good at the best of times which does not help.

Wife's Octavia VRs is much better and perfectly drivable.

I know everyone is quick to point out it's the BMW driver that's at fault etc etc but it's the only car I have ever struggled with in bad weather
- utter crap!
Old 03 February 2009, 06:54 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CupraT
My BM is garbage in the snow. No matter how I drive it it's got rubbish traction & does not stop. The run flats are not good at the best of times which does not help.

Wife's Octavia VRs is much better and perfectly drivable.

I know everyone is quick to point out it's the BMW driver that's at fault etc etc but it's the only car I have ever struggled with in bad weather
- utter crap!
Should let Nat21 have a shot in it and show you how it's done
Old 03 February 2009, 07:00 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

yep - if it wasn't a company car I would change 'em. Suspect that this is the case for a lot of others as well.
Old 03 February 2009, 07:04 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Wide tyres spread load out over a bigger area, excerting less downward pressure. Of course any sporty car will suffer in the Snow and Ice (and be more susceptible to aquaplanning in the rain)

Strange then how a 306 diesel on narrow tyres works well.
Old 03 February 2009, 07:11 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

The Octavia has bigger tyres than the BM - just not run flats. FWD with the weight over the driven wheels makes a difference as well.
Old 03 February 2009, 07:17 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
First time i ever drove on snow was in an F348. No problems at all, driving to work at 6am through the countryside

Remember when Birmhingham had that big freeze in 03 or 04? The whole city centre froze in 20 min and buses were sliding all over the place, it took 6 hours to drive half a mile etc... I was in the middle of that in a 964 C2. I avoided all trouble and used the 911's unique ability to swap ends in a short space to do a 180 and drive back the other way on the oppo carriageway while everyone else was stuck.

Another time i had an E36 M3 and drove from London back home in a snow storm at 2am with no problem. Ditto the same in a Boxster S. And again in an old 450SL.

Like i said, it's not hard if you are a smooth, cautious, prepared driver. Unfortunately most people are not .
Lol, no offence but I question if you've ever driven in properly difficult weather conditions!!!! I've driven in snow a number of times and have a good grasp of handling dynamics and the physics of a vehicle on a low friction surface. However, driving on snow/ice in a RWD car is nowhere near as easy as you seem to be suggesting.

I once drove Edinburgh to Aberdeen and about 30 miles short of my destination I ran into snow. It had been on and off for a few days and a layer of compacted/icy snow had formed on the road surface and there was now a fresh dusting of around 1-2 inches on top of it. I was in the S2000 (low torque compared to m3/911, RWD, no driver aids) and it was an absolute nightmare! Any movement on the throttle at all - and I do mean any - in any gear (inc 6th at 30mph) would spin up the rear wheels. IIRC, I basically let her idle along in 4th gear with no throttle applied as just the motion of the suspension was enough to move your foot. The front end was even worse; despite very well planned and slowly executed adjustments the front of the car was sliding about all over the place and basically following the fall and/or imperfections in the road. I'd be driving along very slowly with no throttle applied in a perfectly straight line and the car would just carry off to the left or right towards the snow embankments. Steering input had no effect so for 30 miles of my journey the only time I used throttle was to give it tiny stabs to provoke a small slide and allow me to steer the car from the rear. I spent an hour making loads and loads of tiny little adjustments and was pretty much constantly in some sort of four wheel drift as no matter what you did or didn't do the car would not track anything like the intended or desired line. I made it without hitting anything or switching ends but on a few hills I very nearly lost all momentum and if I'd stopped she'd never have found the grip to get going again. I was physically and mentally exhausted and my arms ached from having to constantly try to alter my steering inputs and from gripping the wheel so tight when I finally got her straight to prevent any unintended input. Conditions like that are damn near un-drivable in a RWD car and would be trouble enough for something 4WD with skinny tyres such as a defender!

You sure you are not thinking about a layer of slushy snow on an otherwise non-frozen tarmac surface?
Old 03 February 2009, 07:26 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Proper car for proper snow (Alps this xmas)

Old 03 February 2009, 07:32 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem yesterday Kenny. Less power at about 170bhp, but little weight in a lightened car and 245 section tyres... Even small bumps in the road prompted 30º sideways action. Even in an unsuitable car, with wholly unsuitable tyres though; I still managed to drive past the rafts of BMWs that seemed to be blocking Sheffield's roads yeaterday afternoon..... That says more about the drivers than the cars, I think.
Old 03 February 2009, 07:34 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

911s are great in the snow, so good infact they make quite a nice holiday out of driving them in the snow

http://www.porschecentrumeindhoven.n...amp4_intro.jpg

They do 3 or 4 courses, culminating in their masters course with some fairly well known racing drivers running the show - you have to do them in order though - so cost is not cheap to get to the top level but just imagine the fun you would have along the way.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2dFo0HCqFog
Old 03 February 2009, 11:36 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

In fairness, I suppose a 911 or Ferrari would probably be more manageable than an FR platform as with the engine further towards the rear of the car there is more weight over the driven axle. As I said in my long post though, my issues couldn't have been solved with two slabs in the back. The conditions were simply so bad that no corner of the car was even close to finding any purchase into the surface I was driving on. I must admit, I'd love to try a car with proper snow/winter tyres on to see what difference it makes. A back to back comparison would be ideal.
Old 04 February 2009, 12:07 AM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

My favourite car in the snow was my Alfa Romeo Guiletta 2.0. Gearbox over the rear axle so 50:50 weight distribution. I lived in Scotland at the time and went to either Glencoe or Glenshee each weekend in the winter to ski. I have driven literally hundreds of miles on snow or icy/slushy roads and only ever had one problem. I once left the lights on when I went up the mountain in Glencoe.

My 993 was good in the snow - back end was easily less provoked than my E39 Touring with ESP/DSC on!!

My 330Ci did not do so well in the snow. Massively wide rear tyres and the DSC kept kicking in killing the power so it got stuck very easily even on small inclines on fresh snow.

STi V was great, Spec C was great too.
Old 04 February 2009, 12:42 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I've been chugging the e39 round with no problems, just need to treat the throttle like an eggshell. Biggest problem with modern BMs is the fly-by-wire throttle - its too sensitive.

The old cable jobbies on the M52 engines were far more "real" in terms of pedal vs. throttle plate relationship; essential for pulling away ultra smoothly without causing a wheel to break free and spin up.

Automatic BMs pull away from standstill better in ice/snow with the handbrake on a few notches, as quite often the drive from the engine at idle puts too much power through the wheels. So the wheels are spinning as soon as you start letting off the foot brake (especially with a cold engine thats idling a little faster than normal). Remember to take the handbrake off again after the car gets moving though

I'm guessing SMG would be useless in the snow/ice; as soon as it tries to engage the clutch, it'll do it too quickly and cause the wheels to break traction straight away. Handbrake trick might work on those as well as it would dampen the clutch engagement.

Last edited by ALi-B; 04 February 2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old 04 February 2009, 08:31 AM
scoobberdoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spooky Mulder
My 330Ci did not do so well in the snow. Massively wide rear tyres and the DSC kept kicking in killing the power so it got stuck very easily even on small inclines on fresh snow.
Brother-in-law has the same car. His missus refuses to go anywhere in it when it's snowing. They've been stuck so many times. I've seen it in action, it's utter c**p. seen it getting stuck with the minimum of snow on the slightest incline. There's only so much you can do with driver skill!

FWD is generally ok, but it's got to be 4wd for these conditions.
Old 04 February 2009, 08:54 AM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

I think it depends where you live- I live near to Haworth in west yorkshire: you've gotta be kidding to say vehicles can manage it in the snow.

I watched car after car on monday night get abandoned- including all the mincers in their BMW's. most of which did nothing but wheelspin for literally anything to 10-20 mins- blocking the roads and causing problems for people who could actually make it on the hills round here.

i.e farmers trying to deliver bails of hay etc

at least we had a few laughs watching them smash their alloys into kerbs as they went sideways and then abandon their cars.

all this tech talk is absolutely bollocks: anything rear wheel drive with big fat tyres just failed instantly. come to think of it, a lot of front wheel drive did too- esp all the chavs in corsas/clios with halfrauds big fat alloys on.

Quick Reply: BMW, Ultimate driving machine?