Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Thinking of moving on from my S4 - not sure what it's worth etc....

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2009, 04:32 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thinking of moving on from my S4 - not sure what it's worth etc....

Whilst I've loved my S4 for the last 3 yrs, I'm toying with moving on. Not sure to what yet.

Mine's an MY98 Avus silver S4 Avant with 114,000. FASH up until the last 2 services I think. MOT & Tax.
4 new tyres (well about 2 months old) Wheels are also in vgc.
Good condition with a few little scratches. General stuff considering its age.

I'm stuck as to (a) are these selling, and (b) what it's worth? Pistonheads/Autotrader etc aren't very good, because the prices are soo varied for in essence the same thing.

This pic was taken early last year IIRC, but it's still the same!!LOL!!

Any thoughts?

Dan
Old 05 February 2009, 04:38 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Has it got any mods on it??

I'd reckon around £5000 maybe... but like you said, its hard to say with prices being so varied. IIRC, theres a company selling a MY00 S4 Avant with low miles for 10k still.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 05 February 2009, 04:39 PM
scoobberdoo
Scooby Regular

Sounds about £4.5k at the moment to me, but that's a guess. nice car though
Old 05 February 2009, 04:44 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Nice car. My old man had a Black Saloon version in 1999.

Problem with this type of car now is it's mpg figure. Thirsty little so & so's.

Other minor points that may put off potential buyer's are (as you'll know) numb steering, over-servoed brakes, and quite sloppy gearchange. Plus we found the seats rock hard.

The high milage could be sean as a problem too. If Turbo trouble, it's possibly 2 Turbo's to buy not one.

Can't see it being worth more than a few grand.

As for prices varying? Just been on Pistonhead's myself today. People are still asking over £13k for 2003 STI's. Considering I sold my 2005 STI PPP in August for £12k. Would struggle to even get £9k for it now.
Old 05 February 2009, 04:54 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

No mods - totally clean car

Yeh. The mpg is no worse than the Scoob tbh. The engine/turbos have always been serviced properly, but you're right. Because it's a twin turbo, it can be expensive to fix. That said, on the MY98, the turbo problems were caused through poor cooling. This car was an Audi car for most of it's life - I'm only the 3rd owner. A businessman had it before me as a 2nd car.

I never found the brakes, nor the gear change a problem. As for the numb steering, well, it's certainly not a Scoob I've got used to it
A great many users on RS246 have fitted a uprated ARBs and a short shift. This gets around any percieved problems. After that, some Bilsteins will sort it even further
Seats, yes, they're hard - but my back is cr@p and suited it perfectly
Oh, and the Bose stereo is nothing short of fantastic for something out of the box

I think you either like it or don't tbh. Might be wrong though.

Dan
Old 05 February 2009, 05:44 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

I think they represent massive performance potential for relatively small wonga... however, the last time I was VERY close to test driving and inevitably buying one after the test drive, the more I read about the potential 2.5-3k turbo replacement, the more my sensible head won over. Specially as there wasn't a 'range' of turbo failure, ie: 65-75k... it was an almost random occurance.

That said, I still have a severe soft spot for a B5 RS4 in Nogaro Blue.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 05 February 2009, 05:51 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

I don't consider 114,000 miles to be high mileage, especially on an Audi
Old 05 February 2009, 06:32 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

The turbo issues aren't that frequent tbh. They're scare stories that have been played up. YES, they have occurred, but not in the frequency that people may think!
In my 4yrs of interest (1 yr looking + 3 yrs ownership) of frequenting the bbs, I can't remember a major issue. bearing in mind that BBS are where you hear the horror stories
IIRC I only heard about the turbo issues when I was changing from the Scoob to the Audi....probably on here!!!LOL!!
And to make it fair, I was told about turbo scares when I was looking at Scoobs

IIRC, the last turbo issue I heard of was someone who broke a turbo whilst "making progress" on the Isle of Man He hit a dip and bent the turbo! But using as nature intended

Dan
Old 05 February 2009, 06:50 PM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

my mates dad bought one for 4k, u'll be looking around 4-5k.
Old 06 February 2009, 05:22 PM
oxscooby
Scooby Regular

KEEP IT!!!! that mileage is nothing, i bought a 99 nogaro blue avant last month with 138,000 miles! Speak to doug at mrc tuning and he will tell you that these engines go on forever. To be honest the prices vary so much at the moment for these cars but if you are serious then i think 4-5k is a reasonable price. I paid 6k for mine which had just had nearly 6k worth of work in july as the standard turbos had failed, so it now has ko4 turbo's, rs4 intercoolers, clutch etc. I sold my scooby to get the s4 and i must admit i do miss the raw feel of the scoob but the audi is just more refined. If the turbos go then yes it could be a costly repair but then this could be the excuse to upgrade to ko4's, get an mrc custom re-map and enjoy the bucket loads of torque.
mine:
Old 07 February 2009, 02:39 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

You don't want to know what it's worth I just checked Parkers on-line valuations and they reckon a MY2000 car like yours with 80k miles is worth max £3,600 in a private sale. You have to pay £3.50 to get valuations on older cars, but it's not going to be higher is it

I just bought an S4, mainly because you get a huge bargain on a very unfashionable car right now. But if you're selling, all buyers see is 10 years old, big miles and turbo/gearbox/clutch problems looming. They need a price with some headroom to cope with the unexpected.

Keep it. It's turboed so there's plenty of cheap power to be had, which will sound great through a new pipe, plus some new struts and a roll bar and it's like a new car again