Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

As well as the Clio 172, also an Astra Coupe Bertone 1.8 16v......

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2009, 12:56 AM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default As well as the Clio 172, also an Astra Coupe Bertone 1.8 16v......

As some of you may know I am off to see a Clio 172 today to be used as a run around/works car, thread here:

https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marq...ay-advice.html

Another car that has popped into the equation is a Vauxhall Astra Coupe Bertone 1.8 16V.

The car is in pretty much mint condition and the price is extremely reasonable, its a case of a friend of a friends car and he wants a quick sale.

Now I don't know much about these motors either but think they look alright and for the price that has been offered I'm seriously tempted.

This example is on an 02 plate, 85000 on the clock, 3 previous owners, service just completed where the cambelt was changed, MOT just done and due in December.

Anyone with any experience/knowledge on these cars please post up with the usual anecdotes, what to look for, what to avoid etc

Thanks again

Greg
Old 08 February 2009, 08:27 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would avoid buying a car off someone you (almost) know - period
Old 08 February 2009, 11:24 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Sounds to me you are ruling heart over head here. I have pretty much done the same in the past. I'll give you an idea what I mean from my past expeirences:

Bought a Classic Scooby and then upgraded this to my current one after 3 years of ownership. Unfortunately the job was a 40 mile round trip every day and the new car needed filling up a lot more. Decided on the run-a-bout route, so looking back at previous cars I owned and the budget I had at the time bought a Pug 205 D-Turbo. Unfortunately this had issues, so then traded this in for a newer 2000 reg Clio 1.6 RSi, again this had issues and only found out what issues may lay ahead after logging on a Clio specific forum, By this time I started to learn my lesson, listen to advice and do your homework before buying cars. After this I then traded in the clio against a Mark 5 Fiesta 1.6 Ghia (Had the same ZTEC engine as the 1.6 16v Zetec), but unfortunately this developed rust around the rear arches, although a sound car, found it a little cramped. Finally I have now settled for another Japanese car (Daihatsu YRV turbo), beleive it or not this is cheaper to insure than the others I have owned, and Daihatsu is also 3rd (Behind Toyota) as being the most reliable manufactuers car for not having faults, and also a fun and practical car as it weighs under a tonne. The moral of the story here is that if you want to use this as an everyday get you to work car then you need to look carefully into what you buy, and use common sense.
Take it or leave it.
Old 09 February 2009, 11:11 AM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Well, sit rep:

Went and drove the Clio 172 and it reminded my of my old Saxo VTS, like a little go kart but with the build quality of one!!

Probably feels faster than it actually goes, you can chuck them about and it put a small smile on my face, that was until I felt like grabbing hold of various components and ripping them out to stop the little annoying rattling sounds!

Onto the Astra Coupe Bertone....

I was quite surprised at this car for two reasons, firstly I was highly impressed by the interior, full red leather interior, seats and doorcards, similar to that which you can get in an M3, its got all the goodies you could wish for in the electrical department, ranging from 6CD, Traction Control, Cruise Control, Elec Mirrors, Heated Seats etc etc
Secondly the actual looks of the motor were surprisingly plesant on the eye, its by no means a piece of art but on the other hand its not ugly to look at.

Now as my job I am usually running around like a headless chicken and rolling around with scum all day long, I have a 35 mile roundtrip and all I was looking for was a car that has 'an element' of luxury and comfort inside, a decent ride, good mgp, relatively 'sporty/nippy', plesant on the eye and cheap to repair/service/maintain....

Its no Nissan R35 in the performance department but I think I've found a serious contender, especially for the price/year first registered.

Thanks for all responses.

G