Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mercedes C-class

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2010, 06:18 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mercedes C-class

I'm still deciding on a car to replace my A3 2.0tdi s-line and have been looking at different models ranging from Civic Typr-R (07 plate), Volvo C30 and keep looking at the Merc C-class.
The figures for the diesels seem quite poor (C200cdi - 0-60 11.3) but i guess it's a heavy car? The c200 petrols are 2 secs quicker but average 33mpg (parkers guide) so maybe i might look at them?
Has anyone had a C class (either petrol or diesel, aroung 2006 - 2007my)? what's the real life running costs and are they as reliable as the old models?
I'm looking at dealers so i'd make sure i got a warranty but i want a reliable car, not 1 that's in the garage with problems

Any comments/ opinions?
Old 11 July 2010, 08:58 PM
R 14NS R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i work for merc, have had lots of c classes, 200, 220, 250 and 320 cdi s, and 280 and 350 petrols, all sport models.

personally i would look at the 220 or 250 cdi for overall performance and ecconomy. i used to get 42 -44 mpg from both, upto 50 on a clear run at 70 too.

currently i ve got a new e250 cdi. lovely car but doesn t handle as nicely as the c, but smoother and quieter as you would expect.
Old 11 July 2010, 10:25 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by R 14NS R
i work for merc, have had lots of c classes, 200, 220, 250 and 320 cdi s, and 280 and 350 petrols, all sport models.

personally i would look at the 220 or 250 cdi for overall performance and ecconomy. i used to get 42 -44 mpg from both, upto 50 on a clear run at 70 too.

currently i ve got a new e250 cdi. lovely car but doesn t handle as nicely as the c, but smoother and quieter as you would expect.
Cheers

what's the difference between the C220 and C200s?
what are the common problems/ faults?
i guess the C180Ks are to be avoided?
are the 3 door ones ok as i'm thinking they're more practical but i don't want 1 if they rattle (typical hatch)
is it best to go for an auto as there are more about (i guess it'll be easier to pass on later) even though i'd prefer manual
Old 12 July 2010, 08:13 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Im thinking of getting an audi A3 TDI, what they like ?? What sort of MPG / performance / reliablity ??

Do they have any common problems ?

SBK
Old 12 July 2010, 11:38 AM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a couple of C Class Coupes 220CDI from new, on the Merc employee scheme, this was 4 years ago.
To be honest the first one was not to bad, but the 2nd was horrendous, with it having steering issues, driving it back from Merc UK, i took it straight back & had them check it out, they gave me another car for a week while they sorted it.
The car was better but did suffer from premature tyre wear, as did several of my work mates with the same car.
Then it would drop bits of trim off, particurly the a post covers, & all the heatshielding on the exhaust would rattle.
Then the engine oil would just dump a litre or so of oil out into the airbox at random, even if the electronic dipstick was showing ok.

I stopped having any more Merc,s on the scheme after that & bought a Impreza Hatch 2.0 S-GT JDM, & have never had a moments trouble with it.
Old 12 July 2010, 06:15 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon K
Hi,

Im thinking of getting an audi A3 TDI, what they like ?? What sort of MPG / performance / reliablity ??

Do they have any common problems ?

SBK
Depends on which year - <06 2.0tdis can suffer from pourus, cracked heads, leaking radiators (mine had this replaced - leaks due to corrosion on bottom corners, same on Mk5 Golfs), dual mass flywheels are a not so common problem but once remapped they do suffer, if you replace headlights to non standard then the front wiper motor dies????

i'm using mine for work and back, approx 8 miles each way and when i get there the DIS shows upto 49.7mpg
performance is ok for a diesel, cheap insurance, cheap tax

i have the S-Line model which has 1/2 leather, sportier bumpers, slightly lower suspension

Old 12 July 2010, 06:18 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT
I had a couple of C Class Coupes 220CDI from new, on the Merc employee scheme, this was 4 years ago.
To be honest the first one was not to bad, but the 2nd was horrendous, with it having steering issues, driving it back from Merc UK, i took it straight back & had them check it out, they gave me another car for a week while they sorted it.
The car was better but did suffer from premature tyre wear, as did several of my work mates with the same car.
Then it would drop bits of trim off, particurly the a post covers, & all the heatshielding on the exhaust would rattle.
Then the engine oil would just dump a litre or so of oil out into the airbox at random, even if the electronic dipstick was showing ok.

I stopped having any more Merc,s on the scheme after that & bought a Impreza Hatch 2.0 S-GT JDM, & have never had a moments trouble with it.
blimey, i thought German cars were supposed to be better?
did you have the alignment checked for the tyre wear?

there are quite a few 1.8 kompressors for sale, would they be better than the diesels then?
Old 17 July 2010, 07:23 AM
R 14NS R
Scooby Regular

i much prefer the diesel engines. the c coupe or clc (facelift) are ok but the new c saloons have later more powerful and torquey engines and much better chassis ( so much so that they use the same chassis on the just launched e coupe as it is such a good compromose of handling and refinement).

i ve never had any problems with mine except me playing the orange light game and losing once.
Old 18 July 2010, 11:06 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

So the E Coupe is based on the C just like the CLK?
Is the name change just an excuse to justify the higher price?
Old 18 July 2010, 05:22 PM
stuart2008sti
Scooby Regular

E class coupe is in a different league to the clk by a mile.
Old 18 July 2010, 11:06 PM
R 14NS R
Scooby Regular

e class coupe is the best car mb have made for a while, current c class is great but e coupe looks even better.
Old 19 July 2010, 07:40 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stuart2008sti
E class coupe is in a different league to the clk by a mile.
....but presumably that is just because of the huge improvements in the C-Class platform.
Is there anything that makes it an "E" other than the iffy styling .

As far as I remember the CLK replaced an "E" Coupe in the '90s and was just a "C" dressed up to look a bit like the then current "E".
Old 19 July 2010, 09:40 AM
stuart2008sti
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=SimonD;9502853]....but presumably that is just because of the huge improvements in the C-Class platform.

Drive a c class and then drive the e coupe,you will not believe they are on the same platform.
Old 19 July 2010, 09:53 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Robby - Your car looks lovely. Exactly the sort of thing Im after.

SBK
Old 20 July 2010, 09:05 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon K
Robby - Your car looks lovely. Exactly the sort of thing Im after.

SBK
Cheers Simon, it's going this weekend as i decided on a replacement - was a tough choice between a 120d m-sport with 67k and a C220cdi with 47k, i chose a Focus 1.8Zetec S with 8k for the same price
me being sensible - old age
Old 21 July 2010, 09:40 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Interesting

We're just looking at changing Wifey's car and the C220 cdi is on the top of her list.

Went and test-drove one - quite a luxo-barge compared to her 306 gti6, but the Pug is getting long in the tooth (time to pass it on to a 306 fan who can lavish the time required on it)

She loved the Merc though. Don't seem to have many issues apart from pre-52 plates, where there were rust issues in the wheel arches.

Prices seem pretty good, but there just don't seem to be many out there, unless you want a silver non-evo with 120K on the clock.....

Oh and after looking at the MB forums, there's a really easy ipod/mp3 interface to connect

The search continues!

Dan
Old 21 July 2010, 04:07 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Interesting

We're just looking at changing Wifey's car and the C220 cdi is on the top of her list.

Went and test-drove one - quite a luxo-barge compared to her 306 gti6, but the Pug is getting long in the tooth (time to pass it on to a 306 fan who can lavish the time required on it)

She loved the Merc though. Don't seem to have many issues apart from pre-52 plates, where there were rust issues in the wheel arches.

Prices seem pretty good, but there just don't seem to be many out there, unless you want a silver non-evo with 120K on the clock.....

Oh and after looking at the MB forums, there's a really easy ipod/mp3 interface to connect

The search continues!

Dan

I would recommend that you DO NOT buy from a main dealer, as a general rule they're all sh1te, and you'll pay well over the odd's for a lesser car.
Old 21 July 2010, 09:07 PM
R 14NS R
Scooby Regular

why do you think main dealer cars are sh1te (in general)??
Old 24 July 2010, 11:02 AM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by R 14NS R
why do you think main dealer cars are sh1te (in general)??

I only refer to Mercedes main dealers, because every time i've had any dealings with them, they are absolutely useless, please don't get me started, the cars are great, but all the main dealers i've dealt with have been complete sh1te.