Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

E39 M5, B5 S4 or V5/6 STi Type R?

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2010, 10:31 AM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default E39 M5, B5 S4 or V5/6 STi Type R?

Hey guys, as my car is up for sale, I'm just looking for your opinions on any of these?

M5- V8 power, lots of toys, but never had a RWD car so will take getting used to! Oh and the Vanos issues!

S4- Tuneable, quick, 4WD but....?

Type R- familiar ground, 4WD, very tuneable but short 5th gear puts me off slightly!
Old 23 October 2010, 10:46 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of those choices I would buy the Type R
Old 23 October 2010, 10:49 AM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

have you tried them all??
Old 23 October 2010, 11:12 AM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

Personally I would choose the Type R, I have one atm and I love it too bits so my post may be slightly biased

The RS4 doesn't really appeal to me, I've got to say though RWD is ALOT of fun, but its going to be absolutely no use in the winter
Old 23 October 2010, 11:44 AM
mervil
Scooby Regular

I'm going to have a look at an M5 today! I've not driven an S4 or a Type R! So really, at the moment, not driven any of them

I've seen some slightly modded Type Rs and also some standard ones! After putting some change towards a house I'll have around 7.5k left! That looks like it will get me a mint Type R, high mileage M5 or a slightly modded S4 Avant!

Decisions decisions!

My mrs has said that asking for advice on these on a Subaru forum is a waste of time but I don't think so

Last edited by mervil; 23 October 2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 23 October 2010, 12:04 PM
ryan33hks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mervil
I'm going to have a look at an M5 today! I've not driven an S4 or a Type R! So really, at the moment, not driven any of them

I've seen some slightly modded Type Rs and also some standard ones! After putting some change towards a house I'll have around 7.5k left! That looks like it will get me a mint Type R, high mileage M5 or a slightly modded S4 Avant!

Decisions decisions!

My mrs has said that asking for advice on these on a Subaru forum is a waste of time but I don't think so
Merv if you ask on on a subaru forum you'll buy the subaru. If you ask on the BMW forum you'll buy the beemer and if you ask on the audi forum you'll buy the.. you guessed it If you ask me then i think your off your nut!
Old 23 October 2010, 12:33 PM
Tee-
Scooby Regular

i have a fully loaded E39 but its a 530d on a 03 and its one of the best cars i have owned you can drive it all day and not feel tierd plus has all the toys, also have a type r which is a bit raw depends what you want to use it for type r is a better weekend car but is a bit hard to use everyday the m5 would be a better choice if you were to use it everyday not keen on the s4.
Old 23 October 2010, 12:38 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I think it would help if you are more specific. What budget do you expect to have and what are you looking for from this vehicle (i.e priorities)? If you have £7k and want something fast and fun then a you can get a nice Type-R for that money but probably a ropey M5. Alternatively, if you want a good all in one and have £12k to spend the you find yourself right in M5/M3 territory.
Old 23 October 2010, 02:38 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

M5 is probably the best car... But like any supercar can cost a lot to own..

TBH... The Type R is not really a direct comparison to the Audi or BMW...
Old 24 October 2010, 02:29 AM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

M5 all day if you can afford the running cost and Fuel. Just go for the 2000 + it has a better interior. Your budget isn't great tho bud!
Old 24 October 2010, 06:48 AM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies guys, I loved the M5, it was stunning! I think I want one of those acceleration is just awesome and it pulls from very low down!! If I'm honest, my next car when the Scoob goes is going to have some very big shoes to fill but with all the toys and power etc, the M5 will do just fine!

The only worry about them is the Vanos issues, am I right in thinking it's only on pre 2001 ish cars? I'm going to check the M forums etc but I've just seen stuff on here before!

With regards to the S4, I would've gone for this but it sold yesterday!

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2163186.htm

It might be time to move away from Subaru for the time being, I might be mad as Ryan said, it's just an itch that needs to be scratched!!

Last edited by mervil; 24 October 2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 24 October 2010, 06:48 AM
mervil
Scooby Regular

DP

Last edited by mervil; 24 October 2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 24 October 2010, 08:12 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

As an ex-B5 owner, I would be personally looking towards the M5 instead of the Audi.

I went from Scoob to Audi, and I enjoyed my time with the S4. It was a ULTIMATE Q-car - never attracted any attention as such, but when it did, there wasn't much out there that could shame it (at the time).
Great quality interior although small rear cabin in terms of leg-room. Fantastic OEM steroe (Bose) - and whilst many don't like how hard the seats are, with my back, it was almost perfect.

The downside was that it was boring. Ultimately designed to eat motorways, so living in the countryside, yes the Quattro was good, but it was uninspiring.

Which if you want an easy car to drive - a big twin-turbo'd armchair, the Audi's you car. Plus I have dogs, so I went for the Avant.

Relatively cheap to run, not mega expensive servicing either - just be prepared for BIG bills if a Turbo goes (you have to replace both @£KKKK)

Out of the choices you've mentioned, I'd go BM (if you don't need a big boot), Audi (if you want a nice easy drive)
Scoob - nah. Too cheap inside and tiring!

Go quality - BM or Audi (you could also push for an RS4....)
Old 24 October 2010, 08:31 AM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Great advice there thanks buddy!

Surprising you said the Quattro was uninspiring! I've done some research and the twin turbos are very expensive to replace! The M5 has 400bhp out of the box, that is a deal maker in my eyes

I'm goin to have a break from Subaru, granted I love them but to have a nice quality car that is fast and comfortable is where I want to be for a wee while! I will miss the Impreza big style, apart from the engine going on track it's been faultless!! Engie Tuner has done a fantastic job and when I get another one I'll be going back to them to work their magic
Old 24 October 2010, 08:31 AM
mervil
Scooby Regular

DP again
Old 24 October 2010, 11:50 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Don't get me wrong - I miss the sound of the flat four burble, but not the actual car - it's rubbish!! A great amount of grip and half decent chassis does not make a great overall package (imho). It's just cheap (but in all fairness, it's not just the Scoob - it's all Japanese cars imho)

Good luck though
Old 24 October 2010, 08:52 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Go M5 mate. After 6 yrs of Imprezas I got an M3. Can be a cruiser, can be a hooligan. Did consider an S4 (V8), but I got hooked by the look of the M.

Good luck

dnc
Old 25 October 2010, 09:03 AM
mervil
Scooby Regular

This changing car thing is hard

I know the M5s can be expensive to run but it won't get used everyday, I've got a van for work and now the cold weather is kicking in I'm gonna be working more!

I do like the S4s but would want the newer V8 one, as I'm definately looking to get away from Subaru for a while now! I'll be back in one again though, next one will probably be a 22b

I know 7.5k isn't a lot but the right car is out there somewhere thanks for your advice guys!!
Old 25 October 2010, 09:03 AM
mervil
Scooby Regular

This changing car thing is hard

I know the M5s can be expensive to run but it won't get used everyday, I've got a van for work and now the cold weather is kicking in I'm gonna be working more!

I do like the S4s but would want the newer V8 one, as I'm definately looking to get away from Subaru for a while now! I'll be back in one again though, next one will probably be a 22b

I know 7.5k isn't a lot but the right car is out there somewhere thanks for your advice guys!!
Old 25 October 2010, 09:38 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

If you can't decide between a Type R and an M5 you don't really know what sort of car you want?!

RWD vs AWD
Luxury vs Spartan spec
BMW '****' image vs Scooby Chav image.

Last edited by tony de wonderful; 25 October 2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 25 October 2010, 09:42 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Don't get me wrong - I miss the sound of the flat four burble, but not the actual car - it's rubbish!! A great amount of grip and half decent chassis does not make a great overall package (imho). It's just cheap (but in all fairness, it's not just the Scoob - it's all Japanese cars imho)

Good luck though
I wouldn't call something rubbish just because it's not an armchair on wheels.
Old 25 October 2010, 01:10 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

C'mon The Scoob's a cheap'n'nasty Jap box........with a turbo, awd and a half-decent chassis!!
Still a rubbish car though. And a smiley won't change that
That's not trolling - I've had 2 classic Scoobs and compared to the German stuff, Subaru have got a LONG way to come.

To the OP, the V8 S4 isn't as tune-able as the turbo'd car (as it's N/A)

I'd probably still go for the M5 (after owning the other 2) as it's mega quick out-of-the-box - but it IS all IMHO so it makes NO difference at all
Old 25 October 2010, 04:30 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Pre-Facelift E39 are more likely to have oil consumption problems, they revised the design (IIRC was piston rings?) on the Facelift model to erradicate these issues... the vanos problems are more known on the E36 M3 EVO rather than the E39 M5.

I love these cars, they're mentally over-engineered, something I always remember is that they've got a main oil pump and two scavenger oil pumps so that under even the most extreme cornering there is zero chance of any oil surge problems.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 25 October 2010, 08:24 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Cheers Grant I have decided one thing, Im not going to but a Subaru this time round! Maybe sometime soon but I want to try something different!

The M5 is a ca that I've loved ever since I saw it on Top Gear all those years ago!! Checking the vids on You Tube just makes me want one more! Still a long way off though!
Old 25 October 2010, 08:24 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

DubPost again
Old 26 October 2010, 07:56 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

I owned an s4 avant, stock engine internals can handle 550bhp, wooden steering but great fun in the snow with the rear biased quattro 'proper torsen diff' 4wd drivetrain, mine didn't have traction control either!

I would go M5 it was me, but i soo miss my wr prodrive spec classic, like a bike for the road, tough choices!

I have an e46 330d sport now as i need one car for mpg and fun and i love it, i imagine the M5 is quite special, but have heard the early ones drink 1 litre of oil in 800 miles!
Old 26 October 2010, 11:26 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your views guys

This Sunday, I'm picking up a 2002 M5 in Carbon Black, with more toys than I can imagine!! It's the revised model, with the new headlights, rear lights, widescreen head unit, DVD, SatNav and even double glazing It's on 128k but that's nothing, it drives perfectly and is pretty damn quick too
Old 26 October 2010, 11:30 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Let's hope you don't need a new engine any-time soon

TX.
Old 26 October 2010, 11:33 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the confidence TX

It's got the revised VANOS system and better engine so I'm happy
Old 26 October 2010, 11:45 PM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

Can't wait mate. Sounds awesome!

Quick Reply: E39 M5, B5 S4 or V5/6 STi Type R?