Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Land Rover Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2010, 09:18 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Land Rover Discovery

Ok, well I've been looking for a second car for a while, some of you may remember the Lotus Esprit thread a few months ago, after doing the research on them, it's just not a good idea really and now with me starting a relationship with a someone in Plymouth I've decided to go back to my original choice and find something more practical and economical than the Impreza.

Just like the Esprit, the Land Rover Discovery is another car I've always liked for reasons I don't know. I love the Discovery 3 ever since it came out but really my budget at the moment just doesn't stretch that far, even for a 2nd hand high miler So been looking at Discovery 2s, 99 - 02 TD5s can be picked up at really good prices at the moment but I apparently reliability is sketchy, customer reviews are one extreme or the other so don't really help much.

Has anyone on here had or got one? Anything I should look out for?

Last edited by BULLITT; 08 November 2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08 November 2010, 09:25 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

What really annoys me about the Land Rover range...Discos,Range Rovers (not the sport!!!)Freelanders etc (apologies to Matt because I'd love his defender!) is they all seem so bleedin temperamental!!

I think the Disco is great but again,all people I know seem to have bought the Friday one.

We bought a Nissan X Trail.Not missed a beat in 85k miles

No idea why there are so many tales of woe that I have heard on cars that I always thought were rock solid.

Still might consider a Disco one day though!
Old 08 November 2010, 09:38 PM
R1CH D
Scooby Regular

I had a TD5 disco and was fixing it all the time, didnt like mud and water much...
Old 08 November 2010, 11:06 PM
chris666
Scooby Regular

We had a td5 auto 02 plate from new at work.
it was used for pulling a 1500kg trailer plus machines =3000kg
for most of its life.
it was very nice to drive & well equipped had a very good sound system.
no problems at all the first few years (150k miles)but then started going down hill ,gearbox,turbo,steering box,injectors etc
got rid after 6 years & 240k miles so it did quite well
replaced it with a new audi a6 allroad 3.0tdi auto which has 140k miles in 2 years no problems with that yet
Old 08 November 2010, 11:13 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

I have a 53 plate TD05

Only problem I have is a leaky sunroof, common evidently after heavy rain I brake and get a lapfull of water

Just bought a sheet of clear vinyl to seal the front sunroof off

Otherwise its a lovely car
Old 08 November 2010, 11:25 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

I have a 53 plate TD05

Only problem I have is a leaky sunroof, common evidently after heavy rain I brake and get a lapfull of water

Just bought a sheet of clear vinyl to seal the front sunroof off

Otherwise its a lovely car
Old 09 November 2010, 09:08 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Leaky sunroofs on the TDV6 is due to blocked drain tubes.... might be the same for the TD5 Phil?
Old 09 November 2010, 12:38 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

If you get a Disco series II get one with active ACE (electro-hydraulic anti-roll control). It handles a billion times better than one without it. Its the last Disco that is truely rugged enough for real off road use IMO (not saying the disco 3 can't do it - it very good, but with what they cost, would you risk bashing one squeezing through trees and overgrown hedges etc?)

TD5s are pretty solid if cared for. Reliability is hit and miss some go for startship miles without issues, other don't.

Automatics fair better in engine reliability (less shock loads I guess) - but they are painfully (if not dangerously) hesitant off the mark when trying to pull out of a busy junction.

Usual Land Rover electrical/trim gremlins apply.

Last edited by ALi-B; 09 November 2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09 November 2010, 05:37 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Ali, very informative is there anyway of telling whether one has A.C.E. fitted as info I've seen just says "on some 99 - 04 models"
Old 09 November 2010, 06:56 PM
davecweed
Scooby Regular

ive had a discovery 4 on order, should be here by the end of the month, fingers crossed it works!, let you guys know if there are any problems
Old 09 November 2010, 07:07 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullitt_Rich
Thanks for that Ali, very informative is there anyway of telling whether one has A.C.E. fitted as info I've seen just says "on some 99 - 04 models"
It was an optional extra. I think mainly found on the seven seaters. Otherewise its a case of looking under the wheel arches for the hydraulic rams. Or chuck it round a roundabout in anger and see how much it rolls

Having said that its not essential (as in truth it is something else to go wrong), but I personally think they are far better to drive on the road with it - especially when pressing on in the twisties.
Old 09 November 2010, 07:15 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Ah I see, well to be perfectly honest, I doubt I'll be doing any "fun" driving in it as it's something to travel to Plymouth in to see the GF and to waft around in generally. I'll break out the Impreza if I want to go a bit nuts lol The A.C.E. system does sound more appealing as it's a safety feature but as you say, it is just something else to go wrong and for what I want the Discovery for, it probably wouldn't be needed.

This one is looking very appealing so far http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2109390.htm
Old 09 November 2010, 07:17 PM
benno22
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
It was an optional extra. I think mainly found on the seven seaters. Otherewise its a case of looking under the wheel arches for the hydraulic rams. Or chuck it round a roundabout in anger and see how much it rolls

Having said that its not essential (as in truth it is something else to go wrong), but I personally think they are far better to drive on the road with it - especially when pressing on in the twisties.
lift the bonnet up and on the right hand side you'll see the power steering reservoir, if it has 2 caps it has ACE.
Old 09 November 2010, 07:31 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Originally Posted by scooby L
Leaky sunroofs on the TDV6 is due to blocked drain tubes.... might be the same for the TD5 Phil?
Yep

But its a £600 job to strip down
Old 09 November 2010, 07:44 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

check for the "three amigos" -- a fault so common it has it's own google search term

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sourc...01854bd49f75e6
Old 09 November 2010, 07:56 PM
chris666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bullitt_Rich
Ah I see, well to be perfectly honest, I doubt I'll be doing any "fun" driving in it as it's something to travel to Plymouth in to see the GF and to waft around in generally. I'll break out the Impreza if I want to go a bit nuts lol The A.C.E. system does sound more appealing as it's a safety feature but as you say, it is just something else to go wrong and for what I want the Discovery for, it probably wouldn't be needed.

This one is looking very appealing so far http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2109390.htm

Try this one near home & less miles

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi.../100?logcode=p
Old 11 November 2010, 03:10 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Phil
Yep

But its a £600 job to strip down
That's a shame.. the D3 just needs an airline, a screwdriver and a pair of scissors!
Old 12 November 2010, 12:24 AM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris666
Try this one near home & less miles

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi.../100?logcode=p
Yep already seen that one, I really like that one and will be making enquiries about it over the next week

Originally Posted by scooby L
That's a shame.. the D3 just needs an airline, a screwdriver and a pair of scissors!
From what I've read, the LRD3 is absolutely riddled with problems I love them but I would be really worried about buying one 2nd hand to find it has loads of faults that'll cost a fortune to repair, which is what really has put me off them.