Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Audi S3 Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2011, 07:29 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Audi S3 Quattro

Any in field reviews on these, and more importantly any comparisons with the Scooby?

Old 25 September 2011, 07:50 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i had a 02 a month not drivers car at all there slow to.so swapped for a type r lol.

But no lovely car i had every audi extra to, really good on fuel, very comfortable
Old 25 September 2011, 07:52 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

oh handled terrible 2 didn t think much of the quatro system at all
Old 26 September 2011, 11:21 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What model S3?
Old 26 September 2011, 11:29 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Tested a 51 plate S3 a couple of months ago.

Was so so quick but nothing impressive. My mapped UK Turbo was probably a bit quicker but not much.

IMO overpriced for what they are. Haldex 4WD system aside no real difference to a Leon Cupra R. Cupra much cheaper too.
Old 26 September 2011, 01:02 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Which chassis? As there is a HUGE difference!

The old 8L is rather poo - Gen 1 haldex and floppy suspension subframes. But the 8P is much better as its a vastly different chassis - better AWD system (Gen II/III), better chassis, more rigid subframes, better suspension, more power, just better all round really.

Still preffered the R32's instant grunt though (I grew out of waiting for the turbo 'shove' ), even if its a tad slower/less tunable.

Last edited by ALi-B; 26 September 2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 26 September 2011, 01:07 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I have an 8P, 3 door, S-tronic.

Its ok, nice enough and its fairly quick but its main issue is low down grunt - or lack of it. My old 130i was a much nicer drive, even if it did look like a bread van. AWD, still yet to fully test it but its been good in wet conditions.

So far, I am happy with the car. Its good at what it does, but not brilliant. I would like to try the RS3 and see what difference the extra cyl makes..
Old 26 September 2011, 01:35 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

I have an 8P S3, 3 door with a loads of extras (and a revo remap) so it looks and feels a bit more special than a normal S line A3.
After 3 years of ownership (came from a blobeye) I would say it does everything well, v competant and safe, but no one area where it really excels. The ride is starting to get to me a bit now, OK the roads near me are very pot holed, but I'm getting older and prefer driving my 4x4 workhorse at the moment.

Richard
Old 26 September 2011, 02:07 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone - kinda what I've e-gleened then: pretty good, well built, fast enough, but nothing speacial, bit clinical, steering could do with being better...blah...blah

Every other marque just seems to be flawed enough to send back to a Scooby for my next car Good thing?

I would like a new age wagon. If Subaru made an STi Wagon I wouldn't hesitate getting one, but I know in comparison the WRX is a slight compromise...

Resistance is futile?
Old 26 September 2011, 04:03 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonesetter
Thanks everyone - kinda what I've e-gleened then: pretty good, well built, fast enough, but nothing speacial, bit clinical, steering could do with being better...blah...blah

Every other marque just seems to be flawed enough to send back to a Scooby for my next car Good thing?

I would like a new age wagon. If Subaru made an STi Wagon I wouldn't hesitate getting one, but I know in comparison the WRX is a slight compromise...

Resistance is futile?
Interesting - would I go back to a Subaru now, no. Current subaru range is too expensive to insure, + more expensive on road tax + worse on fuel and does not have a good enough interior.
just my thoughts, had 3 Subaru's and will explore the other makes now and probaly the satan fuelled versions as well !

Richard
Old 26 September 2011, 04:14 PM
MalcB
Scooby Regular

I would like a new age wagon. Resistance is futile?
Mines still up for grabs. I know it's not an STi but hey..... it's got a forged engine and 350 bhp!
Old 26 September 2011, 07:25 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MalcB
Mines still up for grabs. I know it's not an STi but hey..... it's got a forged engine and 350 bhp!
I'm keeping an eye on yours

What kind of KYB's are you fitting?
Old 26 September 2011, 07:56 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richs2891
Interesting - would I go back to a Subaru now, no. Current subaru range is too expensive to insure, + more expensive on road tax + worse on fuel and does not have a good enough interior.
just my thoughts, had 3 Subaru's and will explore the other makes now and probaly the satan fuelled versions as well !

Richard
OK, I hear what you're saying. All those cost negatives aside how does the driving experience compare?
Old 26 September 2011, 09:03 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

As I said I'm getting older and I was fed up of the (maybe perceived ) negative image of the Subaru - ie every chav in a corsa wanting to race you, seeing messed up V slammed classics with seriously loud exhaust and been driven like a complete tit etc. Not saying don’t get that in other marques of cars - as its the driver and not the marque.
Driving wise its very safe, it hides it speed so well have to careful, Even max out on a private road it feels v composed / unstressed. You only notice how good (and ruthless effective it is in all weathers) If say have to do an emergency swerve even at 3 figure speeds or something and then it take your breath away at how composed it does it. Does it give you that seat of your pants thrill that it might kill you - no it does not. I can remember many years ago throwing my Scoob into a left hander misreading the road and knowing was too fast to get around and lifting off to get round and then knowing have to plant my foot down to correct the slide I had induced, and ended up fish tailing / tank slapping itself down the road for a long time probably inches from the kerb and ditch.
In the same situation the S3 electronics and stability would sort the situation out in a much more efficient manner and would be ultimately safer, have the situation under control much faster and not need a change of underwear and take 3K worth of wear from all 4 tyres ! Which would I remember more, probably the effect in the scoob but looking back now I know how close I was to disaster. Case of been there and done it and time to move on, is how I see my time with Subaru cars - enjoyed (most) moment of them !
Oh and the noise was better in Scoob but I can always open the window if I want the noise or not.
Richard
Old 26 September 2011, 09:49 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richs2891
As I said I'm getting older and I was fed up of the (maybe perceived ) negative image of the Subaru - ie every chav in a corsa wanting to race you, seeing messed up V slammed classics with seriously loud exhaust and been driven like a complete tit etc. Not saying don’t get that in other marques of cars - as its the driver and not the marque.
Driving wise its very safe, it hides it speed so well have to careful, Even max out on a private road it feels v composed / unstressed. You only notice how good (and ruthless effective it is in all weathers) If say have to do an emergency swerve even at 3 figure speeds or something and then it take your breath away at how composed it does it. Does it give you that seat of your pants thrill that it might kill you - no it does not. I can remember many years ago throwing my Scoob into a left hander misreading the road and knowing was too fast to get around and lifting off to get round and then knowing have to plant my foot down to correct the slide I had induced, and ended up fish tailing / tank slapping itself down the road for a long time probably inches from the kerb and ditch.
In the same situation the S3 electronics and stability would sort the situation out in a much more efficient manner and would be ultimately safer, have the situation under control much faster and not need a change of underwear and take 3K worth of wear from all 4 tyres ! Which would I remember more, probably the effect in the scoob but looking back now I know how close I was to disaster. Case of been there and done it and time to move on, is how I see my time with Subaru cars - enjoyed (most) moment of them !
Oh and the noise was better in Scoob but I can always open the window if I want the noise or not.
Richard
Great answer, thanks. Sounds good

The Scooby image is getting harder to live with, you are right. Luckily round my neck of the woods there aren't too many

Have you got a pic of yours, and how much would I expect to pay for a half decent one?
Old 27 September 2011, 08:43 AM
MalcB
Scooby Regular

I'm keeping an eye on yours

What kind of KYB's are you fitting?
Standard OE Wagon fitment Gas Shock. KYB Excel-G.
Old 27 September 2011, 10:50 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Same as other posters I'd begun to tire of the Impreza image at a ripe old 36 years. Went for the 8P S3 off plan, so to speak. Had a Sprint Blue 3 door, and one of the best cars I've had. Fast, comfortable, well put together, decent image and relatively inexpensive to run.

Since had an Avant S4 and just ordered a diesel car so it's a slippery slope into middle aged, be warned.