Old 30 September 2011, 11:13 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New M5 reviews

Reviews are starting to pop up.

http://www.evo.co.uk/videos/supercar...iew_video.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZjqg_EJDSA

Last edited by Dingdongler; 30 September 2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 30 September 2011, 11:32 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read that this week.

Seems pretty positive so far.

Thing is though - £73k?
I *think* I'd have a lightly used Maserati instead..... (running costs aside)
Old 01 October 2011, 12:16 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

It's got about 60 odd buttons hasn't it?

...and the fake engine note through the speakers? :/
Old 01 October 2011, 08:13 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
Read that this week.

Seems pretty positive so far.

Thing is though - £73k?
I *think* I'd have a lightly used Maserati instead..... (running costs aside)
It is a lot of money for sure and the Maserati do look and sound cool. But in terms of performance I don't think you can compare the two Zip, the Maserati will be nippy, the M5 proper fast ie 0-100mph in approx 8.5 secs iirc
Old 01 October 2011, 08:16 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
It's got about 60 odd buttons hasn't it?

...and the fake engine note through the speakers? :/

What has the number of buttons in it got to do with anything? Is that really how you decide which car you want to buy or is it the engine/performance, handling, gearbox, space, reliability etc
Old 01 October 2011, 08:38 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
It is a lot of money for sure and the Maserati do look and sound cool. But in terms of performance I don't think you can compare the two Zip, the Maserati will be nippy, the M5 proper fast ie 0-100mph in approx 8.5 secs iirc
Understood.

But I've now got to the point in life when 0-100 (see the **** GT-R/TTRS threads ) mean diddly squat to me.

Not that I'd say no to an M5, mind.
Old 01 October 2011, 09:57 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Always thought the current 5 looked naff and that has done nothing to change my mind. It's a lot of naffness with 4 pipes
Old 01 October 2011, 10:26 AM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

£73k + options for a new F10 M5
or
£18k for a 60k E60 M5 V10

no brainer surely?
Old 01 October 2011, 11:47 AM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Thornton
or

no brainer surely?
indeed ...then again if you have the funds..............
Old 01 October 2011, 04:02 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Understood.

But I've now got to the point in life when 0-100 (see the **** GT-R/TTRS threads ) mean diddly squat to me.

Not that I'd say no to an M5, mind.

Sure thing, I agree stats do not make for a satisfying car. The 0-100 thing I only mentioned to give an idea of how fast the car is.

As a figure on it's own the 0-100 time means nothing and I wouldn't base a decision to buy on it.
Old 01 October 2011, 04:06 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I don't know, to me it just doesn't look £73K+ worth of car.

A 2 year old one however, could be a good prospect.

All subjective of course - haven't seen or driven one yet...
Old 01 October 2011, 04:06 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave Thornton
or

no brainer surely?

Been there done that and wish I was still there

Though the new M5 is faster and has a lot of the flaws of the E60 M5 ironed out ie; poor gearbox, tiny fuel tank, fuel economy (improved) it has probably lost a little too.

The E60 was a bit of an animal, winding that V10 to 8.5k rpm and then changing gear with the ferocity to break your neck was a real experience in a grown up four door saloon
Old 01 October 2011, 04:29 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

After market exhaust fitted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJvqR...eature=related
Old 01 October 2011, 05:13 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Not enjoying the new 5er, Ding?

Just picked up the Alpina D3 today - fantastic amount of torque for a 4 pot and the ride on the Alpina suspension is wonderful...

There's a new D5 out now, you know

Last edited by zip106; 01 October 2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01 October 2011, 05:51 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Not enjoying the new 5er, Ding?

Just picked up the Alpina D3 today - fantastic amount of torque for a 4 pot and the ride on the Alpina suspension is wonderful...

There's a new D5 out now, you know

It was never going to be a long term keeper tbh. Not very exciting to drive at all, very competent but I never feel excited about getting into it.

The comment you made about it not looking like £75ks worth of car is interesting. I can see it from both sides including yours. So on one hand its £75k for a 5 series saloon that would get lost in a corporate car park.

On the other hand it's the same price as a brand new base level 911 (with PDK) yet has a nicer interior, will accelerate to 60s 0.4 secs faster and will muller it in gear times, can seat four in comfort, swallow all your luggage, and no one will call you a c8ck

When you look it like that the M5 seems worth the money.

I probably wouldn't buy one brand new tbh, depreciation nightmare. Saying that with cars like these no matter when you buy them you will always lose tons of money. I traded my M5 in for £18k don't forget and it was highly specced and low mileage.

Not many people want a gas guzzling car like this anymore, just idiots like me
Old 01 October 2011, 06:20 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Return of turbo's is great news ... imagine what it'll be like with a zorst & remap

TX.
Old 01 October 2011, 07:37 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

To be honest Ding, I think it'll only sell as well as the last M5 - that is, in small numbers.
Still quite a rare sight on our roads.

But I agree - putting it like you have it's worth the money.
A new 991 with a good spec will be at least another £10k, but then they aren't direct competitors.

As for being an idiot and wanting a gad guzzler - I'm with you there... I got mine down to 18mpg today
Old 01 October 2011, 10:25 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

What has the number of buttons in it got to do with anything? Is that really how you decide which car you want to buy or is it the engine/performance, handling, gearbox, space, reliability etc
Well the drive will depend upon about 1000 different combinations of settings etc.

I don't like the over-engineering ethos etc, plus what sort of car has fake engine sounds through speakers?

At least the GTR's high-tech nature is purely functional.
Old 01 October 2011, 10:56 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Sure thing, I agree stats do not make for a satisfying car. The 0-100 thing I only mentioned to give an idea of how fast the car is.

As a figure on it's own the 0-100 time means nothing and I wouldn't base a decision to buy on it.
Being ultra-**** about car stats is an American thing now sadly infecting our car culture.

American car mag reviews barely drive the, car just do two page spreads of every conceivable statistic about the car, like acceleration times and gear ratios to the 4 decimal places etc.
Old 01 October 2011, 11:22 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Not many people want a gas guzzling car like this anymore, just idiots like me
there more idiots than you think Ding ....the limiting factor is £££
as regarding if the new M5 is worth £75K , let put its this way the Audi S6 is about £70kish , but with less performance look uglier and handles even worse !!

if my M3 is £60k+ retail , then I think the M5 is worth £75K+ , and don't forget there "will be" discount on that retail price

I would consider one if the other half allows , as the reviews seems good so far(but need to get the 997 turbo out of my head ).

Last edited by bighead; 05 October 2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02 October 2011, 12:18 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Well the drive will depend upon about 1000 different combinations of settings etc.

I don't like the over-engineering ethos etc, plus what sort of car has fake engine sounds through speakers?

If this is true, it certainly does push the bounds of the head-up-their-****-manufacturer stakes to almost surreal levels. Or are they trying to sell it as a safety feature, cos the car's too quiet without it?
Old 02 October 2011, 12:40 AM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Return of turbo's is great news ... imagine what it'll be like with a zorst & remap

TX.
Looks like it was struggling enough to put the power down
Old 03 October 2011, 04:44 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

You sound like a Jeremy Clarkson wannabee now. Do you get confused by the heater and sat nav as well?

It's as simple or complicated as you want it to be. Configure the car how you want it, one setting for more relaxed driving the other for ***** out action and set them to the two M buttons. When you get in the car press one of those two buttons depending on your mood, it really is that easy I'm sure even you and Clarkson could manage that

As for being over engineered, counting the number of buttons/settings will not tell you how 'detached/artificial' the car feels as a sum total of its parts. The new M5 may well have lost its edge but we don't know that yet.

Many said the E60 M5 was over engineered and clinical ie endless settings for gearbox and diff etc. I can tell you one thing though, caning that V10 to 8.2 k rpm where it would still be straining at the leash and then changing gear so ferociously that you would snap your neck off was anything other than clinical or detached.

Its a shame we are losing these high BHP NA engines, though they were a little low on torque there was something very pure about them.

Maybe I should get a C63 AMG with AMG performance pack, 487 normally aspirated BHP in a compact saloon, mmmmmmmm
Old 05 October 2011, 12:45 PM
sonu
Scooby Regular

See the new M5 posting ~7.55 as a Ring lap time. Not bad for a big, heavy saloon!
Old 05 October 2011, 12:47 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

i still thing the 5 series was at its peak with the e39
Old 05 October 2011, 11:50 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

You sound like a Jeremy Clarkson wannabee now. Do you get confused by the heater and sat nav as well?

It's as simple or complicated as you want it to be. Configure the car how you want it, one setting for more relaxed driving the other for ***** out action and set them to the two M buttons. When you get in the car press one of those two buttons depending on your mood, it really is that easy I'm sure even you and Clarkson could manage that

As for being over engineered, counting the number of buttons/settings will not tell you how 'detached/artificial' the car feels as a sum total of its parts. The new M5 may well have lost its edge but we don't know that yet.

Many said the E60 M5 was over engineered and clinical ie endless settings for gearbox and diff etc. I can tell you one thing though, caning that V10 to 8.2 k rpm where it would still be straining at the leash and then changing gear so ferociously that you would snap your neck off was anything other than clinical or detached.

Its a shame we are losing these high BHP NA engines, though they were a little low on torque there was something very pure about them.

Maybe I should get a C63 AMG with AMG performance pack, 487 normally aspirated BHP in a compact saloon, mmmmmmmm
Ha ha I'm not like JC, I'm a bit OCD with buttons and settings etc...I'd mess with them too much and get bogged down in the minutia....it's distracting.

Did the old M5 have a manual box? I heard the V10 was a great engine.

I'd differ from you in that I like forced induction especially when it is noisy , but I dislike floppy paddle shifting. I'm appreciating manual boxes and cable actuated throttles even more these days. When you master the car and it all gels I think you get an experience you cannot touch in a auto/electronic car.
Old 06 October 2011, 03:02 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Ha ha I'm not like JC, I'm a bit OCD with buttons and settings etc...I'd mess with them too much and get bogged down in the minutia....it's distracting.

Did the old M5 have a manual box? I heard the V10 was a great engine.

I'd differ from you in that I like forced induction especially when it is noisy , but I dislike floppy paddle shifting. I'm appreciating manual boxes and cable actuated throttles even more these days. When you master the car and it all gels I think you get an experience you cannot touch in a auto/electronic car.

Manual was only available in USA for some reason.

If you like your cars pure I can't see how you would prefer FI. To get what your right foot does to translate as linearly as possible to what the engine does you need a high BHP high revving engine imho
Old 06 October 2011, 03:44 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

I'm appreciating manual boxes and cable actuated throttles even more these days. When you master the car and it all gels I think you get an experience you cannot touch in a auto/electronic car.
If you've sampled the current DCT 7 speed gearbox from Bmw....you will change yr tune , why do you think the current F1 cars are all semi-auto boxes .

oh the E60 M5 do indeed have a great V10(voted best engine in the world).

Last edited by bighead; 06 October 2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06 October 2011, 03:46 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

have you had a test drive yet Ding ??
Old 06 October 2011, 05:56 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bighead
If you've sampled the current DCT 7 speed gearbox from Bmw....you will change yr tune , why do you think the current F1 cars are all semi-auto boxes .

oh the E60 M5 do indeed have a great V10(voted best engine on the world).
Well they use semi-auto boxes because they are easier to drive, you can't make mistakes like mis-shifting, or over-revving the engine on a downshift, and the shift time is faster.

Not many people will be able to properly drive a manual soon and do heel-toe properly and rev matching.

Quick Reply: New M5 reviews