Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Impreza to RS4/SC R32/similar

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2014, 09:48 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Impreza to RS4/SC R32/similar

I've been into my imprezas a long time now, always seem to end up back there.

Having a very specific set of requirements narrows down any choices greatly.

4wd
Turbo
Hatch back
5 seats

I've currently got two imprezas, a uk turbo MY00 wagon and a V6 Sti saloon. I bought the Sti to replace the wagon but I really can't live without the hatch as it's just so bloody handy and you can't get anything in the saloon. I've had the Sti since early December last year and it's not been used once!

Obvious choice is to sell both and buy a V5/V6 (ideally v6) Sti wagon but they are so rare it's near impossible.

So, I'm now thinking about getting the only other thing I can think of, an RS4. But most things I read about Audi say they're boring. I have this trouble with Evo's compared to imprezas (after trying many) so don't want to be bored by it.

I might be in a situation in a couple of months to buy a V8 RS4 estate but not heard great things about the engine. I'm really a huge turbo fan so I'd sooner have the older twin turbo one unless anyone's had a supercharged V8 one and can offer info?

Otherwise, what else is there. I'm struggling for inspiration.
Old 10 March 2014, 10:09 AM
adz556
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surely there is the newage wagon unless you aren't a fan?
Old 10 March 2014, 10:20 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 497 Likes on 339 Posts

Wasn't there a Nissan stagea that was basically a skyline estate? How about a legacy?
Old 10 March 2014, 10:25 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

I had the ultimate (in my eyes) a bugeye Sti wagon in white, had to sell it due to being off work for 7 months.

If I go Impreza it'll have to be Sti. As I say, I have both and only things I don't like about my wagon are things like the boring seats and lack of grunt in comparison (although my Sti is tek 2'd as well)

A new age WRX is a no, too slow. I do like the outside of the grey hawkeye wagons but I hate the interior and then it's crap engine and slow etc.

I could always make my wagon faster but ideally I'd like to start with either a white or sonic blue STI V6 wagon as I'll always have that niggling away at me.

A new S3 wouldn't be too bad but just think they look very boring when you consider the old model had flared arches. I actually think an S-line TDI a3 looks more impressive.
Old 10 March 2014, 11:05 AM
white noise
Scooby Regular

I'm currently running a mod'd V5 Sti wagon
And like you say , the amount you can fit in the back is amazing!
I have also noticed the lack of Sti wagons on the market so the ones left , will they fetch a premium ?
The RS4 is an awesome car , I've always fancied the early versions , but high price parts, servicing and fuel drinking at an alarming rate made me pick the scooby !
Old 10 March 2014, 11:18 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Does it really have to be an STI?

Why not chuck a bit of cash at the wagon to make it faster?

Don't you have a sonic blue wagon? Thats quite a rare car. Sorry if I'm wrong but I thought it was you - gorgeous car IMO.

I can't remember where I saw it but just recently I noticed one place had the Wagon version of the WRC cars - you know the Type RA and STI RA with the blue seats and blue dash. Well there was a wagon - it has P1 colour seats but say something else on the seat back. It was in the brochures I had when I had the RA WRC. Only ever seen one in the UK.
Old 10 March 2014, 11:38 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-Subar...item4ad03d45d7
Old 10 March 2014, 12:22 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice wagon

Or to the op on the Legacy idea:

http://www.tradecarview.com/used_car...agon/14431113/
Old 10 March 2014, 12:28 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
Wasn't there a Nissan stagea that was basically a skyline estate? How about a legacy?
Yeah, but they're rare as anything and the decent version is probably more than an RS4 v8

Originally Posted by white noise
I'm currently running a mod'd V5 Sti wagon
And like you say , the amount you can fit in the back is amazing!
I have also noticed the lack of Sti wagons on the market so the ones left , will they fetch a premium ?
The RS4 is an awesome car , I've always fancied the early versions , but high price parts, servicing and fuel drinking at an alarming rate made me pick the scooby !
I think they will be worth a premium, yes.

The fuel economy and running costs of the RS4 are a slight concern. I've never been one to worry too much as ever since i was 18 I've had performance cars, so I know little else. Although I was thinking earlier it probably costs £100 to fill up an RS4 and if it is doing 10mpg less than the impreza it might soon get a bit scary.

Originally Posted by EddScott
Does it really have to be an STI?

Why not chuck a bit of cash at the wagon to make it faster?

Don't you have a sonic blue wagon? Thats quite a rare car. Sorry if I'm wrong but I thought it was you - gorgeous car IMO.

I can't remember where I saw it but just recently I noticed one place had the Wagon version of the WRC cars - you know the Type RA and STI RA with the blue seats and blue dash. Well there was a wagon - it has P1 colour seats but say something else on the seat back. It was in the brochures I had when I had the RA WRC. Only ever seen one in the UK.
I did have a sonic wagon years ago, was one of the Euro imports so UK spec but sonic on yr 2000. I did modify that with vf35 etc but it never really seemed that impressive.

I have a Mica red wagon now, had it for 4yrs coming up. I do have bits to make it go (vf22 sports cat dp, induction etc) but it'll still be missing the suspension, interior etc. Also, the sti has the nicer climate facia bit, which is probably the worst bit about the uk cars with their twiddly *****.

I did see the one banny linked as I've had saved searches on ebay for years for an sti wagon. Having been to that place a couple of times, the price they put on their stock far exceeds their condition. I actually went to look at one they had the other year, was really strong money but was badly repainted etc. i don't mind if tey're nice, but you'd want something pretty darn special for the money they ask. Last time i went there, out of all their stock, there was only one car I'd have been happy to buy! And that was just on condition, let alone what the mechanics are like.
Old 10 March 2014, 12:56 PM
CADpaul
Scooby Regular

why not try a Forester STi?
Old 10 March 2014, 01:44 PM
CADpaul
Scooby Regular

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...d-2006/2043089

looks great
Old 10 March 2014, 02:20 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Noticed R32 in the thread. They're non turbo and not got the pace to keep up with anything like an STi. More of a hatchback tourer than a sports car.
Old 10 March 2014, 02:25 PM
EssexJamie
Scooby Regular

Yeah I wouldn't put the r32 in the same category as any of the above that's been mentioned.

On the RS4 there a great car, sounded amazing with a full Miltek! but there very big, heavy and have a lot of driver aids which I think is why people find them boring.
I know STIs aren't exactly cheap to run but RS4 is verging on Supercar performance and that shows in the costs to run and look after one.....make sure you have enough money to look after it.
Problem with cars like RS4, 911's they drop into the price where people can afford to buy them, running them is totally different.
I nearly bought a 911 but was talked out of it due to running costs and servicing!
Old 10 March 2014, 02:38 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CADpaul
why not try a Forester STi?
Thanks, but not a fan of the design.

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
Noticed R32 in the thread. They're non turbo and not got the pace to keep up with anything like an STi. More of a hatchback tourer than a sports car.
I put SC as in supercharged R32. I did have one years ago and loved everything but the lack of go.

Originally Posted by EssexJamie
Yeah I wouldn't put the r32 in the same category as any of the above that's been mentioned.

On the RS4 there a great car, sounded amazing with a full Miltek! but there very big, heavy and have a lot of driver aids which I think is why people find them boring.
I know STIs aren't exactly cheap to run but RS4 is verging on Supercar performance and that shows in the costs to run and look after one.....make sure you have enough money to look after it.
Problem with cars like RS4, 911's they drop into the price where people can afford to buy them, running them is totally different.
I nearly bought a 911 but was talked out of it due to running costs and servicing!
Servicing isn't a problem. It was more if they were really silly on fuel. If it was twice as bad as the Impreza for similar performance then that'd be annoying.
Old 10 March 2014, 02:54 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jameswrx
I've been into my imprezas a long time now, always seem to end up back there.

Having a very specific set of requirements narrows down any choices greatly.

4wd
Turbo
Hatch back
5 seats

I've currently got two imprezas, a uk turbo MY00 wagon and a V6 Sti saloon. I bought the Sti to replace the wagon but I really can't live without the hatch as it's just so bloody handy and you can't get anything in the saloon. I've had the Sti since early December last year and it's not been used once!

Obvious choice is to sell both and buy a V5/V6 (ideally v6) Sti wagon but they are so rare it's near impossible.

So, I'm now thinking about getting the only other thing I can think of, an RS4. But most things I read about Audi say they're boring. I have this trouble with Evo's compared to imprezas (after trying many) so don't want to be bored by it.

I might be in a situation in a couple of months to buy a V8 RS4 estate but not heard great things about the engine. I'm really a huge turbo fan so I'd sooner have the older twin turbo one unless anyone's had a supercharged V8 one and can offer info?

Otherwise, what else is there. I'm struggling for inspiration.
A45 AMG
Old 10 March 2014, 05:27 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
A45 AMG
Duck fat.. How much are they, £40k? Be worth about £15k soon. Not exactly in the same price bracket as the old stuff I'm thinking of.
Old 10 March 2014, 05:30 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

B8 S4 tunes to crazy power with pulley and remap. 3.0 V6 supercharged. Good value, no well publicised faults.