ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Projects (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/)
-   -   RaceDynamix STi - Time Attack 2009 (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/740564-racedynamix-sti-time-attack-2009-a.html)

dynamix 01 June 2009 12:42 PM

Shane has been within the 5% at all three rounds so far. I was within 5% this round.

There is a little uncertainty on the ruling and how it will be applied, but Shane is not unbeatable and I believe i can beat him fair and square - not sure how it will pan out though.

trails 01 June 2009 01:30 PM

^^ ahh, I didn't see the timings yesterday just heard the podium results on my way out...will be interesting to see what the governing body decides to do.

I don't doubt you have every chance of beating him

dynamix 16 June 2009 07:27 PM

Well, not a lot has happened since Silverstone to be honest...but I thought I would do an update anyway.

At the end of Silverstone there were a total of 0 things needing doing, which was a mighty relief after the hectic time between Knockhill and Silverstone and the mega Zengine (tm) build I am now running. I love what Zen have built for me (if you are considering an engine build - these guys really know what they are doing...) and the Lateral internals are just purring.... bliss.

However, I am not one for leaving well alone for too long :D so..

I have never been 100% happy with the rear supports for the splitter/undertray, so some new heavy duty mount have been crafted out of 3mm ally and fastened to the chassis rails. The previous steel ones had fatigued and one had broken. (these stop the downforce on the front splitter pulling the undertray down and stop the bumper pushing backwards) the fact they had broken is testament to the amount of downforce this creates and it is now 100% solid and much better than before.

While the bumper was off I took the opportunity to clean up the fmic and respray it where the bumper had been rubbing on it and taking the paint off.

Sorry just realised I have no pics of this - would take some now but I have done 400 miles in the car today and it is a fly graveyard :lol1:

Next up pre brands is the fitting of the rear diffuser that floyd has been waiting for and to do this properly I will be getting the exhaust moved upwards (courtesy of the boot floor no longer restricting this) and allowing a completely clean run from the flat floor sections already in place to the rear bumper. Pictures will follow of this - it will be good :D At the very least it will tidy up the rear and mean I can get rid of the makeshift side plates and clean up the airflow under the car - definitely reducing drag and hopefully creating a faster flow of air. This 'should' make front grip as well as rear grip better but it will be easy enough to fine tune it.

Anyway... aside from these I have an evening track day at Brands for the 23rd with another chunk of tuition from Phil Glew which I am really looking forward to. It has been 20 years since I have driven there - i need some practice :D

Fingers crossed it goes well :thumb:

Shaun 16 June 2009 10:26 PM

Car looked the mutts when I saw it on Saturday! :)

dynamix 17 June 2009 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 8769822)
Car looked the mutts when I saw it on Saturday! :)

Cheers Shaun - yours wasnt too shabby either :thumb:

dynamix 29 June 2009 09:19 PM

I have put a full review on here:

Brands Hatch 2009 .. review @ RaceDynamix | Time Attack Widebody Subaru Impreza | UK

Sorry - I got a bit carried away with it :D

banny sti 30 June 2009 07:41 AM

You have every right to get carried away! Excellent performance and a thoroughly deserved win :thumb: :cool:

Banny

Andy Pro Tbo 30 June 2009 08:33 PM

Great review Duncan, congrats on the win :thumb:
The scoob looks great out on track!! Shame about Zens car, this was the 1st round i could get to this year and only saw it for 1 lap:( Are the guys and yourself goin for victory at Snetterton in Oct?? (would be great to get up close to the cars in the pits as last year!!) and see you out on track!!

dynamix 30 June 2009 08:43 PM

Cheers.

Yes to Snetterton. It is my local track and I have done literally hundreds of laps there and know it fairly well :)

Luckily as the points standings are, I just need to finish 4th in the final (if no points got in quali) to gtee championship victory so I will try my best to get that before going all out for the win.

Zen will be there trying to get the win too - I am sure they can do it. The car is awesome but we have a plan to change the luck of the team :D ;) :P

trails 01 July 2009 08:35 AM

Congratulations, great result and looks like you have a very good chance of winning the season :)

dynamix 01 July 2009 08:48 AM

The target for the year was top 5 - this is beyond my wildest dreams.

trails 01 July 2009 08:56 AM

how do this years times compare to last years podium results in class?

dynamix 01 July 2009 09:05 AM

last year Kev Horsley did 52.2, Barry Rycroft did 52.5 and Sam Kerr did 53.034.

Some other more familiar names:
Steve Darley: 54.3
Andy Forrest: 54.4
Terry Buckel: 54.6
Simon Deaton: 55.04
Zak Ramage: 56.1
Mike Payne: 55.8

Very pleased with my times and to be only 3 seconds behind Olly is great. It was going well :D

trails 01 July 2009 09:36 AM

even closer to John...another interesting stat would be the power to weight ratios for all competitors ;)

ROUND FOUR RESULTS
PRO/ CLUB PRO/ OPEN WHEEL/ PROTOTYPE CHALLENGE
2. PR4 Olly Clark (Subaru Impreza)…50.166
8. CP4 John Stevenson (Subaru Impreza)…52.961
11. CP4 Andy Napier (Subaru Impreza 22B)…53.681

CLUB CHALLENGE
2. 4W Duncan Graham (Subaru Impreza)…53.100
9. 4W Jonathan Beech (Subaru Impreza)…54.189
12. 4W Julian Divall (Subaru Impreza)…54.968
13. 4W Scott Robson (Subaru Impreza)…55.156

eureka 01 July 2009 06:10 PM

lucky pants for snett then fekkers?

dynamix 01 July 2009 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by eureka (Post 8797384)
lucky pants for snett then fekkers?

Yep :D

Again :lol1:

andyscoobym3 01 July 2009 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by dynamix (Post 8795959)
Cheers.

Yes to Snetterton. It is my local track and I have done literally hundreds of laps there and know it fairly well :)

Luckily as the points standings are, I just need to finish 4th in the final (if no points got in quali) to gtee championship victory so I will try my best to get that before going all out for the win.

Zen will be there trying to get the win too - I am sure they can do it. The car is awesome but we have a plan to change the luck of the team :D ;) :P

should be a walk in the park then

dynamix 07 July 2009 05:02 PM

It is never a walk in the park but I would rather be ahead than not. Hopefully it will go to plan.

Some progress to replace the make-shift overflow catch can that was created at Silverstone from an old oil bottle.

This and the clamp hold nice and steady in there with the small battery.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...7072009122.jpg

Made for me by Mega-Tech in Brandon - very nice work too. I will be adding a second breather outlet onto it as I didnt spec the right size of outlet. (There will be a filter to go on that)

The sight gauge doubles as a drain.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...7072009124.jpg

This is the same company that moved my exhaust 6 inches upwards to clear it out of the way of the diffuser when that gets fitted. They can make anything and from looking at some of the projects they have on the go and the work they have done for me I am impressed.

andyscoobym3 07 July 2009 07:32 PM

looks awsome, very good fit, would it not be better going back into the sump with some -8 hose ?
coz i lost nearly 1 litre of oil at oulton just in the morning session, last year.
i have gone for a -8 an fitting into the top of my hyperflow alloy sump,
i just wish i could afford the dry sump kit from zen when its ready, i am sure it will work well

andy h

dynamix 07 July 2009 09:44 PM

I have a drain to the sump as well from the main catch can. But it doesnt seem to want to drain quick enough on really high g corners... this isnt ideal but saves oil leaving the system and going onto the track.

P20SPD 07 July 2009 09:57 PM

andyscoobym3 07 July 2009 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by dynamix (Post 8808807)
I have a drain to the sump as well from the main catch can. But it doesnt seem to want to drain quick enough on really high g corners... this isnt ideal but saves oil leaving the system and going onto the track.

if it aint broke dont fix it, :thumb:

steven. i had problems with -10, it was sending oil back up the pipe and into the can, my can is very long thow, so it could posibly work on a smaller one

andy h

Fai17 08 July 2009 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by andyscoobym3 (Post 8809034)
if it aint broke dont fix it, :thumb:

steven. i had problems with -10, it was sending oil back up the pipe and into the can, my can is very long thow, so it could posibly work on a smaller one

andy h

How do you know if the oil is going back into the can from the sump?

andyscoobym3 08 July 2009 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Fai17 (Post 8809243)
How do you know if the oil is going back into the can from the sump?

i noticed that oil had gone into the can because i was testing with a dip stick taped onto my can and all i did was a launch and went threw 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears in a straight line, no corners. this was with -10 fittings and hose and when i tried it with -8 fitting and hose there was quite a bit less entering the can, i understand what duncan says about oil not going back into sump fast enough, however my catch can holds 2 liters so i dont think i will need an extra overspill catch can,
the gobstopper used to have -8 before dry sump

andy h

P20SPD 08 July 2009 09:26 PM

The gobstopper used to have -8 and a VERY large can before the dry sump and it was still an issue.

I used -10 and a one way valve.

RCMS tank like Duncans, and what i used, is 2.6 litres in capacity, but it will still fill very easily when you are pushing hard around corners like Clearways and Coram. -10 and one way valve stopped my can filling so quickly, but i still had an over flow can just in case.

Throughout Brands and Snetterton last year, it had less than 250ml in the overflow, so some 40+ laps. Prior to these rounds without the one way valve, i was emptying 1litre out of the overflow tank every session! say 10 laps!

Neil.. 08 July 2009 10:59 PM

What sort of one way valve did you use Steven?

andyscoobym3 09 July 2009 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by P20SPD (Post 8810919)
The gobstopper used to have -8 and a VERY large can before the dry sump and it was still an issue.

I used -10 and a one way valve.

RCMS tank like Duncans, and what i used, is 2.6 litres in capacity, but it will still fill very easily when you are pushing hard around corners like Clearways and Coram. -10 and one way valve stopped my can filling so quickly, but i still had an over flow can just in case.

Throughout Brands and Snetterton last year, it had less than 250ml in the overflow, so some 40+ laps. Prior to these rounds without the one way valve, i was emptying 1litre out of the overflow tank every session! say 10 laps!

interesting read

what sort of one way valve would actually let oil down by gravity without letting oil back up that is under pressure mate ?

andy h

P20SPD 09 July 2009 10:07 PM

Earl's Performance Products UK -Fuel Filters, Shut off Valves, Fuel Tank Breather Valves

Flapper valve, bought mine from Paul @ Zen. Its not cheap, but it worked, and i probably threw the same value of oil away in 3 rounds of TA prior to fitting it.

Correction to earlier, the one way valve was fitted prior to Oulton, so 250ml in overflow after 3 rounds!

Fai17 10 July 2009 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by P20SPD (Post 8813086)
Earl's Performance Products UK -Fuel Filters, Shut off Valves, Fuel Tank Breather Valves

Flapper valve, bought mine from Paul @ Zen. Its not cheap, but it worked, and i probably threw the same value of oil away in 3 rounds of TA prior to fitting it.

Correction to earlier, the one way valve was fitted prior to Oulton, so 250ml in overflow after 3 rounds!

Cool...i'll be looking into that too..

Thanks Steven for the heads up:thumb:

Neil.. 10 July 2009 04:29 PM

Cheers Steven. :)