ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Projects (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/)
-   -   Evolution of the car previously known as the "ScoobyNet Spec C Project Car" (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/765495-evolution-of-the-car-previously-known-as-the-scoobynet-spec-c-project-car.html)

dazdavies 06 February 2010 09:13 PM

Shaun,

Dare I be the voice of reason here. You said yourself how nice the car is at the moment, how well it drives and what it's capable of.

Don't fix what isn't broken and more importantly don't ruin the car or your enjoyment of it.

Big big power inevitably brings big problems, big heartache and big bills.

That said, I'm sure you know all this already I just thought I'd offer another perspective :)

stevebt 06 February 2010 09:39 PM

Expecting 700bhp at the wheels, those cost will just spiral right out of control :)

utaka 06 February 2010 10:06 PM

well i didnt expect this, its your dollar and if you choose to go powerhunting then i say fair play to you go for it, you obviously have a great relationship with tracktive, they are a great company and im sure between you you can work something out,
scoobysprint is off the cards then eh mate? 500bhp was a hard time for you how the hell yo gonna keep 700bhp in check:eek::eek::lol1::thumb:
your gonna have to get out on track now then mate if you got a weapon like that, good luck whatever you decide happy powerhunting dont kill to many bhp's;)

Shaun 08 February 2010 12:10 PM

Daz,
I doubt that any "reason" comes in to this type of thing. If it was based on reason, I would of stopped doing anything after 370bhp.

"Big big power inevitably brings big problems, big heartache and big bills."

Maybe, probably and most definately (in order of reference to above).

Steve,
That is only an issue if I ran out of cash or went past personal justification.

Utaka,
Venues and logistics are being sought regarding ScoobySprint afaik, but as you may appreciate it is not an easy task to undertake. I suspect announcements will be made in good time on what is instore for 2010.

I have learnt a lot from the 500+bhp project and undoutedly this will help any further projects undertaken, as regards to lessons learnt and what to expect.

As I keep expressing, I need to do my home work on this to find out whether the cost/risk is worth the reward to me. Plenty of things to discuss and resolve before that can happen though. I did exactly the same with Tracktive for last years rebuild (which was not just a few quid!). Whilst I appreciate this is on a bigger scale, the final bill came in under what we had meticulously projected, as you should always air on the side of caution. I had spreadsheets coming out of my backside before!!! :D

The same theory will apply for this stage of investigation. Again this is one of the benefits of keeping as much as possible under the same roof, i.e. Tracktive.

Mad Hammer 08 February 2010 01:09 PM

Shaun,

What are you going to use the car for at that sort of power ? The step up of going ratated to a 35R on your engine with your heads would make one hell of a difference without the heartache or pain that a 700hp+ cause will cause.

However if I had the money I am sure I would want more :) I never intended to go for a new turbo this year but the offer from the Clinic was impossible to refuse. Still that's me done for a good while now.

Good luck to you if you go for it mate.

dazdavies 08 February 2010 04:00 PM

To be honest Shaun I can't fault you. You have the means so why not.
I'm sure it will be awesome when its finished and I look forward to watching it all progress.

As Clive says above, good luck :)

Shaun 08 February 2010 08:32 PM

Been speaking with AET today about turbo options.....

AET are currently working with probably the biggest international name in turbo chargers (not sure what I can say at present), who are both currently developing a new range of turbo chargers. Recent results on testing have proved extremely favourable and bode well to enable me to run with the power goals I am currently looking at.

Obviously more news on this should the project be given the greenlight.

Clive,
Drag, sprint and track. Allrounder in many respects..... but still being road biased as much as possible.

For what I want to ideally achieve, I doubt a 35R will come close to providing the power required with the weight I have. I still want to keep my audio system intact! :D

Daz,
I have a certain amount of "means" that I can justify for this.... whether that can provide the end goal is entirely a different story though.

We'll see what transpires out of the discussions that are currently going on. :)

Mad Hammer 08 February 2010 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 9212176)
Been speaking with AET today about turbo options.....

AET are currently working with probably the biggest international name in turbo chargers (not sure what I can say at present), who are both currently developing a new range of turbo chargers. Recent results on testing have proved extremely favourable and bode well to enable me to run with the power goals I am currently looking at.

Obviously more news on this should the project be given the greenlight.

Clive,
Drag, sprint and track. Allrounder in many respects..... but still being road biased as much as possible.

For what I want to ideally achieve, I doubt a 35R will come close to providing the power required with the weight I have. I still want to keep my audio system intact! :D

Daz,
I have a certain amount of "means" that I can justify for this.... whether that can provide the end goal is entirely a different story though.

We'll see what transpires out of the discussions that are currently going on. :)

I think road bias will go out of the window mate at the levels your talking about which is why I suggested a step down. 700whp is going to need a massive unit :) Andy F's would have been that sort of level in terms of power.

Like I said before though if you don't try you will never know :) I want to see it happen so you get my vote !

Fai17 09 February 2010 02:12 AM

Shock horror shaun....700+WHP is defo no a road car in a scooby shell.I would really love to see what exactly you have in store as i'm a right nosey bugger:D

But still watching/reading with great interest.

Good luck in what ever you decide Boss:thumb:

Shaun 09 February 2010 01:59 PM

Clive/Fai
Have not discussed exact spec's with Tracktive yet, as we have a whole bunch of others areas to verify/agree first. However, I suspect that even higher compression than I currently run would be on the cards. Since I have no intention of caging or seam welding, it will be interesting to see how long it takes to twist the shell at this type of power level!:D

Obviously part of this "road car" thing relates to what you or I determine as being a "road car". After the next conversation with Tracktive, I may be told I am on drugs regarding what I want to achieve with this remit. :cry:

I did speak again to AET today, just to be sure that they realised I was after 800+bhp at the fly. :D I was assured they totally understood my original requirement and still said the "yes" statement still stood. :D I would hate to think people were getting mixed up between hub/wheel and flywheel requirements. :cry:

dynamix 09 February 2010 02:04 PM

Good luck Shaun - I suspect you are mad but then I have had that thought for some time :D

Will be interesting to see whether it is still useable at that level. I know a lot of people didnt think our cars were road useable at 500+ but the goalposts keep moving, so who knows...

Will watch on.

Now hurry up and get it done :thumb:

johnfelstead 09 February 2010 02:12 PM

Just make the turbo mount quick release, then you can swap between turbo's quickly and have the monster installed only when not using it for road use.

I was using quick release turbos 15 years ago on groupA rally cars, it took less than 1 minute to swap them over, and thats with them red hot after a stage.

Shaun 09 February 2010 02:32 PM

Duncan,
Coming from a previous 500+bhp RS500 that had nothing below 4500rpm and then everything coming in with a bang @ 36psi boost, I have *some* experience of the poorer side of useability.... and that was RWD as well on poxy 205 width tyres. It makes you use the gearbox more and the throttle progressively, and is different way of driving in my experience, but certainly still useable on the road, if not as versatile.

John,
I have already thought about considering that approach, as I suspect the first turbo supplied will certainly not be the last in the development, let alone the case of being discipline specific. I can see other area's of potential cost starting to put me off already. :D

I must be brave and see the investigation part through to cost expectation. I will have plenty of time to have heart attacks afterwards. :D

stevebt 09 February 2010 04:54 PM

It will be nice to see you go down this route but I bet £50 in a years time you ain't done it :)

utaka 09 February 2010 05:58 PM

no cage with 700bhp, you must be on drugs man ill go with that:cuckoo::lol1:
what if you crash? pedal to the metal and it goes tits up and you end up in a wall your gonna feel it, bigtime, plus like you said about chassis rigidity, surely everything will need seam welding and the fattest of cages installed just to keep the shell straight, like i said i think you should do it not many people get the chance to build a fantasy car;) it does get scary when you start looking at everything outside the engine to support that sort of power, what transmission would you use i take it you would be looking at a sequential box running that sort of power? air shifter for drags too?
most jelous if you go sequential:razz: what width tyres would you need for that power?

Shaun 09 February 2010 07:32 PM

Probably best if I start a new thread should this build go ahead..... pointless me talking about my "fantasy" car until it is definately on! :) :D I must admit the more and more I think about it, the more my backside is starting to go with the potential gas this could give me.

Fai17 10 February 2010 12:22 AM

You only live once Shaun:p:D

But i'd say a cage is a must;)

LitchfieldImports 11 February 2010 01:48 PM

Just seen these updates and to think I told you to stop at 400bhp :D lol

If you want a go in a genuine 700bhp+ car give me a call, it'll probably make you change your mind.

Iain

Hammer man 11 February 2010 02:13 PM

Iain,just design one of those "quadruple-scroll turbos":freak3:

SPEN555 11 February 2010 02:40 PM

Shaun,

Just skip the 700bhp and go to 1,000bhp.

Just put the flat 6 in 3ltr's Nice big turbo for bank of cylinders :D

Saw a clip of one on NASIOC and it sounded :cool:

scoobyc 11 February 2010 08:41 PM

awesome. simply awesome!

Shaun 12 February 2010 08:17 PM

The Spec C is cover car for the next edition of Total Impreza, which is due for publication on the 25th February 2010. :)

p1mat 12 February 2010 08:52 PM

crazy horses :norty:

nice one mate go for it are tracktive going to be doing the work :thumb:

Shaun 12 February 2010 11:56 PM

It is Tracktive with whom I am currently discussing this with. :) They think it will be interesting, but they have said they are up for the challenge. Still awaiting availability details and prices/spec of bottom end.

ScoobyNoobie 22 February 2010 05:34 PM

In the last few days I've read this thread from front to back.
What a journey, and congrats to all involved!

I can definitely see the appeal of wanting to get 700whp, but i would have to question why, when most of the time bar on the Dyno its been switched to low boost anyway :wonder:

My 03 jdm sti is putting 340/320 out an i think its a rocket! I can't imagine what 500, let alone 700 would be like!

I see Forester Dan represented the "Oirish" at the event, i'd love to make it over myself, but can't see it happening.

Anyway, congrats to all for whats been achieved so far, and what the hell, go for the 700bhp if you can justify the cost, who wouldn't if they could!

utaka 22 February 2010 08:46 PM

damd straight:thumb: just build the damd thang:lol1:

Shaun 22 February 2010 09:24 PM

ScoobyNoobie,
Thanks for the kind words. :)

You raise a good question regarding the boost. On the road it has a mix of "high" and "low" boost settings. The reason for the "low" boost setting for me at ScoobySprint was because I had more things to worry about than more power. :D Simon, who drove the car at the last two events, had very little time in the car and since every run counted, he was not confident that quicker times were on the cards by simply turning the power up. When you are getting used to a car set-up, the last thing you want to do is whack the power up, when every run counts which are limited in numbers anyhow.

I asked Simon to stick it in full boost for the Shootout in the final, as we both knew it would be close even though he had already achieved first overall, but still he refused as it could of all gone so wrong. Second place in the shootout of the final, was better than getting fifth! :D The more power you try to put down, the more you rely on the handling set-up being as good as you can achieve for the task in hand. Remember this car, whilst having changes made to the handling during the season, really needed specific testing/set-up time for Sprints, which it never had.

If I am being totally honest, I have not been up front about the reason for such a leap in power. For starters a lot of people will laugh at me and whilst I don't care about that, I have learnt to keep my gob shut and see what happens. :D

I was actually speaking to Simon (organiser of ScoobySprint) tonight and he asked me if I was planning on anything else for the car this year, or whether I was just going to drive it as it was for events. I explained what I was looking in to and he said I was mad, as the biggest single item on the car that needed some time spent on it was the handling for competition stuff, and that it already had more than enough power for sprints. However once I told him why, he immediately understood.

All will become clearer once people realise what I am actually looking to achieve, even though I am 100% confident they will think it is crazy in a road car. :cry:

Utaka,
You send me a bank transfer for £20k and I will do just that! :D

I spoke to Richard early last week and he was still awaiting information from Asia. I have heard nothing since, so I suspect that he is still awaiting details on availability and costs etc. I hope to have a chat with him very soon.

dazdavies 22 February 2010 09:33 PM

I love all this cloak and dagger bollocks. Just tell us all why, I'm sure we'll understand :D

utaka 22 February 2010 09:41 PM

you turning it into a 700bhp ice cream van or summin?

id laugh at you then:thumb:

Evolution Stu 22 February 2010 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by utaka (Post 9242835)
you turning it into a 700bhp ice cream van or summin?

id laugh at you then:thumb:

LOL :lol1: