ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Projects (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/)
-   -   Evolution of the car previously known as the "ScoobyNet Spec C Project Car" (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/765495-evolution-of-the-car-previously-known-as-the-scoobynet-spec-c-project-car.html)

Shaun 22 February 2010 09:48 PM

"cloak and dagger bollocks" :cry:

Utaka,
You swore not to say anything you git! :D

utaka 22 February 2010 10:15 PM

ha, i know what your really doing thats why you want road drivability

the uks fastest point to point, first and only 700bhp......................... taxi,

BUSTED:lol1:

dazdavies 22 February 2010 10:15 PM

Forgive me Shaun,

I forgot you were at the forefront of motorsport technology and anything you divulge might give away a huge competitive advantage.

Get real mate, you allude to this that and the other but at the end of the day you're exactly not developing next years World Car are you?

It would be nice to know your ideas especially if they follow a slightly different path to what has been done before. It would be good to see something fresh but please stop pretending its some ground breaking development that's going to blow the the rest of the field away and must be kept secret at all costs. The whole routing gets a bit tedious after a while that's all. :D

Shaun 22 February 2010 11:20 PM

Daz,
Where the f*** has that just come from? :D Some others may think they don't want to give away their secrets, but I have always divulged what I have done.... apart from specifically expressing exactly what machine work I had done to my original block and also my exact compression ratio on the current block, because I was politely asked not to disclose any of that information. Considering the amount of sponsorship I had from these two parties I thought that was justified.

This has nothing to do with me giving away secrets or me thinking I am this or that, but has everything to do with the fact that I don't want to shout my mouth off about my aims for an engine I have not even commissioned yet. :) Sounds pretty sensible to me.

You are reading between the lines that simply don't exist and where that personal attack has come from I certainly don't know.

dazdavies 23 February 2010 01:25 AM

Mountain out of Molehill Shaun :) I've replied to your PM, hopefully that will clarify :)

ScoobyNoobie 25 February 2010 11:25 AM

I'm far from an expert, but i would assume that setting the car up to go faster around a time attack course will tend to make it less road friendly.

If the car needs more time spent on setup for the high-boost, and further again for 700whp, my guess is that it wont be much of a road car anymore if its setup to go fast on track.

Just my 2c, and certainly not a reason not to try an build it.
Best of luck, and I'll watch with interest over the coming months!

utaka 25 February 2010 11:49 AM

shaun:nono:
i told you NOT to tell anyone about our f1 team.;)
i think its your thread and your car, by not saying too much on here before its a definate is very sensible, as some folk on here are very harsh if you say summin and it doesnt come to pass

daz you need to lighten up shaun does'nt have to tell us anything, its banter, if and when the build does get comissioned, im sure we will hear about every last nut & bolt judging on shauns previous build threads:lol1:, what is the point in him telling us all these well laid plans if none of it comes to light, then you do look stupid.

dazdavies 25 February 2010 02:02 PM

Won't be the first time I look stupid and certainly not the last :)

SkullFudge 25 February 2010 04:58 PM

Lmao......... I have come to the conclusion that Daz Davies is better entertainment than Google :lol1:

BIG FUD 25 February 2010 06:19 PM

When ever i see shaun's name there is a row going on stop picking on him u bully's lol

Shaun 25 February 2010 07:18 PM

ScoobyNoobie,
Time Attack is not a consideration at the moment. The car would not be competitive as a pure road car.

To a degree you are correct about making a car as competitive as possible has it's trade offs for keeping it a pure road car. By that I mean OE trim levels, both interior and exterior, all the OE creature comforts associated with the road version and VPower for instance. I like the idea of extracting the potential out of a pure road car, which to some degree has been what 2009 was all about. As regards to how far my Spec C can be pushed power wise and still being able to deliver on both the road and sprint for instance, will be interesting to find out.

Utaka,
Sorry..... I could not help it! :D

You have hit the nail on the head as regards to me telling all...... I will look even more of a plank than I currently do, if it came to nothing after me telling everyone this and that. :D In hindsight I should not of said even what I have up to now. :cry:

I'm busy working my backside off developing a new site which will be the official portal about the past projects and whatever happens in the future with the car. Whilst I will certainly keep posting on here what is going on, so much has already happened and many of the original articles have been sort of lost (access wise to the masses anyhow). I have all the content from all work done so far and it amounts to over 49817 words. :eek: To re-publicise that on a new website has been a total ball ache :cry: , but I am really getting there now. Nobody can really accuse me of not telling all! :D

ROFLOL @ Mark

utaka 25 February 2010 08:17 PM

[QUOTE=Shaun;9249344]ScoobyNoobie,
Time Attack is not a consideration at the moment. The car would not be competitive as a pure road car.

WRONG WRONG WRONG, if you left as it was it would be a competetive club car for sure, and you know it ya big women:lol1::lol1::thumb:

even better with more power:norty:

Shaun 25 February 2010 08:30 PM

Out now.....

http://www.totalcarmagazines.co.uk/i...VERS/Imp15.gif

:)

Shaun 25 February 2010 08:37 PM

[quote=utaka;9249509]

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 9249344)
ScoobyNoobie,

WRONG WRONG WRONG, if you left as it was it would be a competetive club car for sure, and you know it ya big women:lol1::lol1::thumb:

even better with more power:norty:

I prefer to be in self denial of the cars potential and ability! It saves the stress if it comes last then! :D A few years ago I used to think it was the dogs danglies and I made myself look a right prat! :cry: :lol1:

SleeperSy 07 March 2010 12:51 PM

Whats happening Shaunne?

I was going to let you drive mine so that you can see what your letting youself in for - unfortunately im only running 677- so 23 down on your target - but it is in a 1225kg classic, so should give you a rough idea:thumb:

Sy

Fai17 08 March 2010 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by SleeperSy (Post 9269733)
Whats happening Shaunne?

unfortunately im only running 677- so 23 down on your target - but it is in a 1225kg classic, so should give you a rough idea:thumb:

Sy

677:eek:

Nice one:thumb:

Mad Hammer 08 March 2010 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Fai17 (Post 9271334)
677:eek:

Nice one:thumb:

Only :)

Shaun 08 March 2010 08:05 PM

Sy,
Still discussing "things" at the moment. Spent around 3hrs with Richard Bulmer today and the current train of thought is:

Keep Cosworth big valve heads and cams as is
New linered 2.5 block obviously with forged internals
High compression build maybe around 10:1
Billet crank (engine to be able to rev to 9k)
Imperial sized stud kit (so not 14mm but near)
V-Banded turbo
Complete new rotated pipework (obviously)
Stick with the current 4 x 1150cc injectors, cranking fuel pressure to 4bar and fitting -8 from pumps to engine bay, along with an additional 044 pump
50 shot of NOS for cooling purposes/aid spool and fill the tank full of VP Import to get the desired power target and give it a good thrashing! :D

That would be the basis for the key items.

Costs have not been caculated yet, but I think Richard now has more of an idea of what he needs to be able to start pricing. Tracktive are flat-out totally rebuilding Robin Duxbury's TA EVO (this is going to be one hell of a car when it's finished) and also they are building another Subaru from a bare shell for TA (I think to be ready from Round 2). TA is just around the corner, so I doubt I will be in a position to make any decision for several weeks, as Richard needs to spend some time working stuff out and confirm availability of the linered 2.5 he would want to use.

I just hope the estimate don't come in at more than £2k. roflol

By the way.... my target is at the hubs not the fly. :)

SleeperSy 08 March 2010 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 9272861)

By the way.... my target is at the hubs not the fly. :)

Thanks for the update Shaun

My figures are hub - BTW

Sy

JP4 08 March 2010 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by SleeperSy (Post 9273532)
Thanks for the update Shaun

My figures are hub - BTW

Sy

Only 677 :D

Shaun - current train of thought looks good! :)

Shaun 08 March 2010 11:02 PM

Sy,
Apologies. I bet that goes then. :D :D

Shaun 08 March 2010 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by JP4 (Post 9273548)
Shaun - current train of thought looks good! :)

Looks cheap and straight forward when you look at that list! roflol

Shaun 12 April 2010 10:43 PM

Well it's been a while and unfortunately I am no further forward on confirmation of the proposed engine build. I am hopeful that over the next four weeks I will be in some form of position to have all the required information though.

Anyway, the Spec C is due for an MOT in May and I have booked the car in with Tracktive to get this sorted. As previously said Tracktive are still flat out, which has meant I am unable to even get in for an MOT until the first week in May..... which leads me on to another conversation I had with Richard.

Many people have said to me before about why I have never tried Race Fuel or re-tried E85. If I am being totally honest I have always been more interested in what the engine will do on plain VPower, without the hassle of messing with fuel type mixes. To me, achieving what I have so far, has been made that much better by sticking with basic VPower. I have no issues with people using other fuel mixes, but it has never been an area I wanted to exploit. To me, I liked the challenge of achieving excellent power (for the spec) on "normal" fuels.

Since moving to a higher compression though, it makes a bit more sense to see what can be achieved on my engine. With that in mind I have planned (time allowing) to map the car for race fuel and see what the engine will do. This is only for information purposes, as I will not be running race fuel in this current engine spec for anything other than this testing. The potential "new" build will undoubtedly have to use it to reach the desired power levels though, for when it will be needed.

I suspect that this will be the LAST modification the current engine spec will see.

I have no idea how the engine will respond or what power it will achieve, but it will be interesting to see. Boost will not be raised over the current profile, but a shedload of ignition will be whacked in.

This is all planned to be done after the MOT has been sorted (time allowing), first week in May. :)

Evolution Stu 12 April 2010 11:21 PM

Shaun, I am a distributor of a fuel additive I am sure you would find interesting. If you fancy doing an independant product test on it for me I will send you a couple of tins for free, It can be done just before you drain the tank to fill with race fuel.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Power-Pour-Fue...item3efcde4e17

Shaun 05 May 2010 11:36 PM

May 2010
Well it's been just over a year since the latest engine was built and what a way to celebrate that..... by whacking in a jollop of Race Fuel today! :D :D

I'm going to try and keep this as to the point as possible, but need to explain some things first.

Baseline Run on VPower
To find a baseline to measure logical increases between the CURRENT VPower HUB power and previous Flywheel dyno runs (i.e. the last one at ScoobyMania which showed 530bhp), I asked Rich to perform a run as is (normal shopping car spec ;) ). We both knew that the previous HUB figures attained when the car was initially mapped on the HUB dyno, immediately after the engine build, were meaningless now. Since that dyno map, the car was then tweaked on the road, with boost and ignition being reduced at my request and the overall map was fine tuned. I knew what the car was going to be put through at last years ScoobySprint, so it made sense to be over cautious in my view. Anyway.... that is chicken soup, as what it ended up being (and never re-ran on Tracktives Hub Dyno till today) is exactly what it was for ScoobySprint and exactly what it was for the dyno run at ScoobyMania, and certainly exactly as the car is NOW.

The car was ran a couple of times and achieved just over 445bhp/459lbft on high boost (1.9bar peak / 1.8 peak power).

http://www.shaunfennings.plus.com/maydyno1.jpg

Car was left on the HUB dyno and the VPower was drained from the tank.

10ltrs of Tracktive "Special Brew" Gypsie **** was then whacked in the fuel tank and the remap and power runs followed.

Race Fuel Runs
The first couple of runs after initial mapping showed a HUB figure of 518bhp! :D That was an increase of 73bhp!! I was very pleased and Rich was quite happy! lol If you take in to account this was only with increasing ignition as the boost map remained untouched.

I spoke to Rich and he said there was no det and the engine was very responsive to the fuel. It certainly sounded very smooth and just ripped through the gear. I then said I didn't want anymore boost but suggested some more ignition if he thought it was worth it.

After a bit more mapping and another couple of runs, the car managed these figures back to back twice.

http://www.shaunfennings.plus.com/maydyno2.jpg

:D

That was with +12degs of ignition over my standard VPower map and a totally untouched boost map (as seen by the green line) of 1.92bar peak and 1.85bar at peak power!! This gave an increase of 83bhp over the VPower baseline dyno run, completed a couple of hours before. ;)

Obviously I was over the moon and by using some form of logic (but obviously no exact science), it would point towards a flywheel figure past 600bhp (either by adding circa 80bhp to the previous 530bhp fly figure or by adding 15% to the HUB figure)! Only one way to prove that out right, and no doubt it will get a flywheel run sometime in the near future. Saying that though 83bhp increase is just that and was measured on the same day, so it all seems about right to me. Unfortunately it was starting to get late (just past 8:30pm) and it was a shame Rich did not have the time to wind more boost in (which I then wanted to do, to at least 2bar held) and/or increase the ignition again. Even at this level there was no sign of DET at all.

I had to take the car out for a quick spin on this map and all I can say is that it totally blew me away. It was like driving a totally different car, with a new engine. Having the response of the GT30 I had, but with another whack of torque and power..... it was flaming awesome on the road! :D

Again.... many thanks to Tracktive Solutions for their work and enthusiasim, and hat's off to AET turbo for provided a "REAL" GT30 (no GT32 turbine housing on this turbo), that did not need a billet wheel to make produce such figures. :) Imagine what would happen if it had a GT32 Turbine and a Billet wheel. :D

Oh..... and the car passed it's MOT today as well so all was good! :D

Today was the cheapest BHP increase I have ever had! :cry:

dazdavies 05 May 2010 11:45 PM

Awesome news Shaun. I bet that's a fooking hoot to drive !!!
Good work by Richard as always.

Shaun 05 May 2010 11:50 PM

Thanks Daz! :)

Fai17 06 May 2010 12:58 AM

Love it!!!

dynamix 06 May 2010 06:37 AM

Nice work 8)

ScoobyNoobie 06 May 2010 08:38 AM

When I first started reading this thread it I had 12/13 pages of ups and downs to read through, now I'm just coming back for the odd nugget of info, an its killing me!!

Sounds incredible shaun, thats some increase!
Can't imagine the 10 litres of fairy dust lasted too long though ;)
Keep up the good work, it must be an absolute wolf in sheeps clothing!
And i wouldn't think thats been said about a Spec C before :lol1: