ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   When did the UK stop using st, th and nd?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1052129-when-did-the-uk-stop-using-st-th-and-nd.html)

wayne9t9 23 January 2018 10:33 AM

Don`t get me started, or should I say "don`t even go there" :rolleyes:

alcazar 23 January 2018 03:03 PM

Aye, the Americans and the Australians have much to answer for.

But we don't do ourselves any favours.
Watch the Halifax advert where TopCat goes to ask for a loan for a new house, and the stupid Halifax girl says, "Do probleb".

Could they NOT have found someone without adenoids or a frikkin cold to do her part???????

joz8968 23 January 2018 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11990958)
...Watch the Halifax advert where TopCat goes to ask for a loan for a new house, and the stupid Halifax girl says, "Do probleb".

Could they NOT have found someone without adenoids or a frikkin cold to do her part???????

LOL :lol1:

Mick 23 January 2018 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by GuyG (Post 11990850)
When was the last time you heard someone refer to their offspring as children instead of kids?

Or 'the progeny' :D Cracked me up when the offspring of some friends organised a 'do' for their parents wedding anniversary and referred to themselves with the aforementioned term :luxhello:

Torquemada 23 January 2018 08:01 PM

I have become everything I once loathed, language wise, lol.

So many S's replaced with Z's
So much 'o' instead of 'ou' in words (labor, etc.)
"Process" said the other way
"Apartment", not "flat"
"can I get" instead of "please may I have"
"my bad" instead of "my fault"
biiiiiig reduction in the amount I say the word c$nt (that;s not such a bad thing, I suppose)
"vacation" not "holiday"
"lb's" not "stone or kg"
Driving "stick" or "standard" not "manual"
"gas" instead of "petrol"
saying "right?" all the time, in response to someone requesting validation of something conversationally
e.g. Them "I can't believe gas prices have gone up to $2.50 per gallon! It's insane, isn;t it?"
Me: "Right? It's soooo expensive, now" :lol1:

However, I refuse to say "pant's" instead of trousers and there is no way I will ever say "aluminum"

ALi-B 23 January 2018 08:17 PM

A scoobynet favourite: HEADERS!

We call it a manifold :razz:

Torquemada 23 January 2018 08:19 PM

Oh yeah and no one here knows what the heck you are talking about if you say 1500hrs or fifteen hundred hours. They are all "why are you speaking in military time?" - it's just the 24hr clock!!

lozgti1 23 January 2018 09:07 PM

Most kids can't tell the time by an analogue watch

jaygsi 23 January 2018 09:40 PM

Well done there :thumb:

Originally Posted by Felix. (Post 11989415)
I was at a parents night the other day for my daughter - and the sign on the table said "Math" which i quickly got them to change!

Torquemada 23 January 2018 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by lozgti1 (Post 11991029)
Most kids can't tell the time by an analogue watch

I've found that in fact a lot of kids here just don't give a crap what the time is, whether or not they can tell the time!

I had people coming in for interviews who I'd call when they were 15 mins late and they would say "oh, yeah, I forgot. Uh, yeah, like, something came up. We can do it some other time" - my response "yeah, uh, like, no we are rejecting you" lol

jaygsi 23 January 2018 09:44 PM

That drives me up the wall.

Same as discs calling them rotors, front wings, fenders, rear spoiler, wing, calling a bonnet a hood, Registration plate or Number plate is very commonly called license plate in UK. It does not exist :(

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11991020)
A scoobynet favourite: HEADERS!

We call it a manifold :razz:

Steve001 25 January 2018 09:57 AM

X is another

'Can sum1 xplane how I can fx my hed gasgit?

alcazar 25 January 2018 01:09 PM

However, I refuse to say "pant's" instead of trousers and there is no way I will ever say "aluminum"
Used nucular instead of nuclear yet? IIRC Tony B Liar did when @rse licking Dubya...

ALi-B 25 January 2018 01:12 PM

"No" typed instead of "know"! :mad:

alcazar 25 January 2018 01:16 PM

Not really any excuse for text speak now. It was OK when texts first appeared, but with smart phones and predictive text, WHY????????

Martin2005 25 January 2018 01:30 PM

The English language has been constantly evolving over the centuries.

I suspect that Shakespeare would have found Dickens use of words and phrases annoying too.

Anyway I found an olde English word that sums up a certain SN grump perfectly... Rawgabbit :)

dpb 25 January 2018 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11991335)
"No" typed instead of "know"! :mad:

yes indeed , no what yer mean !

Torquemada 25 January 2018 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11991333)
Used nucular instead of nuclear yet? IIRC Tony B Liar did when @rse licking Dubya...

Oh, god. I forgot that one!! Another I will never use!

I mean, I just can't even....:lol1: