ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Police complaint - what happens now (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/409938-police-complaint-what-happens-now.html)

Jay m A 10 March 2005 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Stueyb
I'm no scallly, just a law abiding peaceful person

So what the fcuk was you doing in costcutters?

lol

Chris5-0 10 March 2005 08:35 PM

Mart,

It's up to us to prove your guilt beyond reasonable doubt, not up to you to prove innocence. Important point in general publics favour.

As for theft/deception, i dont feel it applies as goods were actually paid for and received, the problem was the goods were faulty/wrong.

As for the earlier post about getting our own back this is clearly crap! I don't know what goes on in the whole of the city, i certainly dont make it policy to harrass people with a genuine grievance against us, clearly as the court case proved this officer was in the wrong and paid the price, got what was deserved.

If anyone out there genuinely thinks we go around persecuting people who have problems/complaints against us thean i can only say i've never met any, sure there must be some but not many! I've got to much to do than go looking for trouble!!

Stueyb 10 March 2005 08:39 PM

Chris, I am ok with the result, but at the end of the day, I cant help thinking he is just going to laugh it off and its going to be business as usual. I may be wrong.

As for being in costcutter, well in my defence ;) it was next to the chip shop that we frequent and it was a compulsory purchase :)

mart360 10 March 2005 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chris5-0
Mart,

It's up to us to prove your guilt beyond reasonable doubt, not up to you to prove innocence. Important point in general publics favour.

As for theft/deception, i dont feel it applies as goods were actually paid for and received, the problem was the goods were faulty/wrong.

As for the earlier post about getting our own back this is clearly crap! I don't know what goes on in the whole of the city, i certainly dont make it policy to harrass people with a genuine grievance against us, clearly as the court case proved this officer was in the wrong and paid the price, got what was deserved.

If anyone out there genuinely thinks we go around persecuting people who have problems/complaints against us thean i can only say i've never met any, sure there must be some but not many! I've got to much to do than go looking for trouble!!

I think you missed the original thread, the goods were paid for, but not recieved, that was the whole issue..
as for innocent until proven guilty.. sorry that has all changed with the introduction of scamera van et al, you now have to prove your innocence, the nip has already put forth grounds that you were guilty the nip then asks you to incriminate yourself or an other, which is a fundemental change to part of our original judicial system.. innocent until proven guilty!! if his was the case, the photo should accompany the allegation not vice versa.

as for the other bits i cant comment.

Mart

Jye 10 March 2005 08:51 PM

Chris, hate? Doubt it. Despair? Perhaps.

Chris5-0 10 March 2005 09:02 PM

Mart,

'Basically my GF and I went to the shop to buy some credit for her phone and they sold her the wrong type of credit (but the right network) via one of those epos type machines and it never went on her phone so she rang the network in question and they were not interested.'

This paragraph negates deception, credit was sold, although wrongly. it then immediatley becomes civil.

As for laughing it off Stu, no no no, its a serious blot on his copybook that will (trust me) cause him grief until it goes away.

Jye,

No idea mate!

Chris5-0 10 March 2005 09:04 PM

Mart,

As for cameras.......... not gonna comment on that (if you know what i mean!)

mart360 10 March 2005 09:28 PM

Mart,

As for cameras.......... not gonna comment on that (if you know what i mean!)

:D

Mart

Jye 10 March 2005 09:54 PM

Jye,

No idea mate!
We know this.

alcazar 11 March 2005 11:03 AM

Posted by Chris5-0

Listen mate,

i know you hate us, it really doesn't bother me.
It really ought to. The actions of (maybe) the few are p*ssing Joe Public off immensely. The inaction and toadying to government of your "superiors" is having the same effect, but more so.

Since the UK police rely heavily on Joe Public to support them, (not least in the police precept), your attitude amazes me. Your job is going to get harder and harder, until eventually you cannot do it properly any more. You're not far off now!

Witness almost daily letters to our local paper (OK it IS Humberside police, ;) ), saying how little faith they have in the police, how little they trust them, both to do a good job or just generally, and asking why we pay for them any more when they do such a poor job.

There is a groundswell. You, the officers at the forefront, ought to be worried and at least trying to do something about it. "We are only obeying orders," or "we don't care what you think of us", cuts no ice!

I used to be TOTALLY supportive of the police as a young man. Now..........forget it. And no, I wouldn't ring them for help any more. Been down THAT road and had nowt, thanks very much!

Alcazar

dsmith 11 March 2005 11:12 AM

Called the police over a dispute over £15 ?

Hmmm - I know who looks the biiger tw*t here....

CrisPDuk 11 March 2005 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by dsmith

I think you've misread the details somewhere, he called the police because the costcutter staff threatened to have his girlfriend beaten up:eek:

Vipa 11 March 2005 11:57 AM

I really don't want to get involved in this....But... just a few words

1. I think the Police in general do a stirling job in the face of severe critisism, dwindling manpower and rising crime and at times have one of the most stressful jobs imaginable.

2. Yes there will be some 'bad-uns'..... there are 'bad-uns' in every industry but they are thankfully outnumbered by the 'good-uns' (and before anyone pipes up and says they aren't... think about it... if the Police were majority bad then people would be 'dissapearing' left right and centre... Think Russia under communist rule!)

3. It is human nature to go on the defensive under heavy criticsism, especially when someone's in your face and critiscising you.... how defensive is I would think exponential to the level/severity/type of critisism being leveled, remember when we are talking about a Police Officer being 'critiscised' in a situation... we are not talking a friendly appraisal meeting. It takes a special person and a HELL of a lot of willpower and training to be able to stay perfectly calm and in control of a situation when someone is in your face or being... shall we say... colourfully critical of you, your family, your collegues and profession. Few people on here (myself included) are capable of this.

4. I'm not a particularly religous man but I do remember one statement made by JC himself.... "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"
I challenge anyone here to take a good hard look at themselves and HONESTLY tell us that they have NEVER EVER said or done something innapropriate in a stressful or heated moment. 90% will answer.. yes they have and the other 10% are liars.... self righteous ones at that.

5. Let the punishment fit the crime...... You'd be horrified if the death penalty was re-introduced for petty crime but a couple of hundred years ago there was a boy hanged for stealing a loaf of bread from a shop! Does telling someone to F@ck off realy warrant a) the ruin of someones career or does it really warrant b) a bollocking. If we go for choice b then there is a chance he wil;l learn by the mistake and it may well not happen again.... if we go for choice a...... well we'll never know will we. We spend our lives learning by our mistakes and it is this learning process that makes us what we are.

Lastly 6. Just think what would happen if we had no emergency services!!!!! We'd be in serious **** then! (Think of the movie... Escape from New York.)

Paul

CrisPDuk 11 March 2005 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Vipa
5. Let the punishment fit the crime...... You'd be horrified if the death penalty was re-introduced for petty crime but a couple of hundred years ago there was a boy hanged for stealing a loaf of bread from a shop! Does telling someone to F@ck off realy warrant a) the ruin of someones career or does it really warrant b) a bollocking. If we go for choice b then there is a chance he wil;l learn by the mistake and it may well not happen again.... if we go for choice a...... well we'll never know will we. We spend our lives learning by our mistakes and it is this learning process that makes us what we are. York.)

Paul

I'm sorry but if the punishment is to fit the crime, based on the evidence presented by Stuey this bloke should be kicked out of the force IMO:

1. He turned up at the scene with a pre-conceived idea of what was going on, and failed to make a fair (or apparently correct) assessment of the situation.
2. He went straight to the offending parties, totally ignoring the person that had actually made the call.
3. He then automatically took their word as truth and went straight on the offensive against Stuey & his G/F.
4. He failed to even acknowledge the ACTUAL REASON for the call to the police being made. IIRC threatening behaviour is NOT a matter for the civil courts.
5. He used (apparently unjustifiable) threats of arrest and abusive language against an innocent member of the public.

The very fact that the officer concerned has been reprimanded for his behaviour goes a long way towards verifying Stueys version of the event, and IMO as long as we the public are prepared to tolerate the likes of this behaviour from our employees we will always get the service we deserve from them.

Vipa 11 March 2005 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
I'm sorry but if the punishment is to fit the crime, based on the evidence presented by Stuey this bloke should be kicked out of the force IMO:

1. He turned up at the scene with a pre-conceived idea of what was going on, and failed to make a fair (or apparently correct) assessment of the situation.
2. He went straight to the offending parties, totally ignoring the person that had actually made the call.
3. He then automatically took their word as truth and went straight on the offensive against Stuey & his G/F.
4. He failed to even acknowledge the ACTUAL REASON for the call to the police being made. IIRC threatening behaviour is NOT a matter for the civil courts.
5. He used (apparently unjustifiable) threats of arrest and abusive language against an innocent member of the public.

The very fact that the officer concerned has been reprimanded for his behaviour goes a long way towards verifying Stueys version of the event, and IMO as long as we the public are prepared to tolerate the likes of this behaviour from our employees we will always get the service we deserve from them.

Interesting isn't it...

You have made a value judgement and in your mind based on 1 persons posting have found the officer guilty and decided that the punishment is scewing up the rest of his life?

You are If I read your post correctly possibly guilty of exactly the same crime as the officer in question, certainly with points 1 to 3!!!! You have read the thread and with no time to investigate the absolute truth have made a decision based on first appearances. That decision may be right.... it may be wrong.

If it was wrong...........

Whoops.......... that could just have ruined your career and life! (easy to do isn't it..... make bad, ill considered calls...... we all do it and you have just proved the point!)

Sorry.... should have added there... I'm not disputing what you say Stuey just trying to make a point

Paul

kar 11 March 2005 01:02 PM

Listen mate,

i know you hate us, it really doesn't bother me.

Not only a policman, but a Milwall FC supporter too!

(Everyone hates us we don't care......). I think that's the problem really.

Jap2Scrap 11 March 2005 01:03 PM

Stuey, you better hope he hasn't got any mates in traffic or your journeys home could get quite eventful.

Not that I'm suggesting anything of course ;)

Tiggs 11 March 2005 01:22 PM

Where did you hide while waiting for the police? you must have been very scared after the threats....well done for being so brave in the face of it all.

Leslie 11 March 2005 01:25 PM

It sounds like he is an inexperienced PC who has an inflated idea of himself because of his position and the powers granted to him.

This can happen easily and I have seen this sort of thing myself. The police rely heavily on as much cooperation they can get from the public and the behaviour of this chap is the sort of thing which will do that relationship with the public a great deal of harm.

Young hotheads like him need to be told in no uncertain terms just what his responsibilities are towards the public and it looks like you have succeeded in making that happen.

You have done well and I hope you have no further trouble from that source.

Les

Stueyb 11 March 2005 01:33 PM

well, i've had a think about all this and come to a conclusion that although im peed off that I/We didnt get an apology, im just gonna let it lie. Its happened and hopefully he wont go and do the same thing to some other people in the future, esp now he has been reprimanded.

Jap2Scrap, they wouldnt dare. Basically I have a few aces up my sleave if they try, not to mention a harasment lawsuit against the offending force and officer.

I just hope I dont have the displeasure of dealing with him again (Not that I make a habit of it) and that we can alll just go our seperate ways.

CrisPDuk 11 March 2005 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Vipa
Interesting isn't it...

You have made a value judgement and in your mind based on 1 persons posting have found the officer guilty and decided that the punishment is scewing up the rest of his life?

You are If I read your post correctly possibly guilty of exactly the same crime as the officer in question, certainly with points 1 to 3!!!! You have read the thread and with no time to investigate the absolute truth have made a decision based on first appearances. That decision may be right.... it may be wrong.

If it was wrong...........

Whoops.......... that could just have ruined your career and life! (easy to do isn't it..... make bad, ill considered calls...... we all do it and you have just proved the point!)

Sorry.... should have added there... I'm not disputing what you say Stuey just trying to make a point

Paul

Actually Paul, as I stated in my post I based my conclusion that Stuey's description of events is roughly accurate on the fact that this officer's own immediate superior saw fit to quite seriously sanction his behaviour.

CrisPDuk 11 March 2005 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stueyb
well, i've had a think about all this and come to a conclusion that although im peed off that I/We didnt get an apology, im just gonna let it lie. Its happened and hopefully he wont go and do the same thing to some other people in the future, esp now he has been reprimanded.

Jap2Scrap, they wouldnt dare. Basically I have a few aces up my sleave if they try, not to mention a harasment lawsuit against the offending force and officer.

I just hope I dont have the displeasure of dealing with him again (Not that I make a habit of it) and that we can alll just go our seperate ways.

Out of interest did you get either your £15 back or the correct type of credit from costcutters? If you didn't, try citizens advice & trading standards;)

Chris5-0 11 March 2005 05:29 PM

Alcazar et al,

The remark about not caring was aimed at Jye who, in my humble opinion, has a deep seated mistrust/hatred of police. In the face of this type of resentment and ill will it is true, i do not care! Why should i waste my time worrying about someone who no matter what i say or do will never appreciate, trust or like what i say or do? I have thousands of people where i work to worry about, not going to worry about one who doesn't like me!

Not an indication of a total attitude, just an opinion about one person in particular. I'm sure Jye is a nice chap and all, just obvious we aint going to be seeing eye to eye on any related matter in the near future.

Nice to see some balancing comments coming from non police people on here for once, usually its the loudest voices shouting on here about how crap we are whilst the thousands who have no dealings with us say nothing. To be expected though, i for one don't comment on things i have no knowledge about.

Particularly liked the post condeming the officer after hearing one side of the story! Do me a favour mate and never join the police, you need to be able to take both sides of a case and make a balanced judgement based on all the facts, not just the facts as given by a very pi55ed off individual with a point to make. Basics!!!

Now get ready for the retort, 'well that officer obviously didnt did he or he wouldn't have done what he did!!!!' No, again we have one side of the story which does not allow any of us to comment on the actualities of the event, if you read my posts i don't believe i make any suggestion as to what occured, just giving my opinion as to procedure!!

StickyMicky 11 March 2005 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by dsmith

one brick = free
one window = supplied free of charge

more then £15 damage done, for everything else there is mastercard..........

CrisPDuk 11 March 2005 05:43 PM

Particularly liked the post condeming the officer after hearing one side of the story! Do me a favour mate and never join the police, you need to be able to take both sides of a case and make a balanced judgement based on all the facts, not just the facts as given by a very pi55ed off individual with a point to make. Basics!!!

Chris, that portion of your post is obviously aimed at me, and as I stated in my reply to Vipa, my 'condemnation' of the officer was not based solely on Stueys original post, but also on the fact that his superior saw fit to censure his behaviour.

Unlike Jye, who does indeed have a deep seated mistrust of the police, I have nothing but respect for yourself & the majority of your colleagues. The officer on the street does a difficult job in the face of mounting indifference/hostility on the part of both the man on the street and his own superiors, unfortunately the attitudes of the former are linked IMO to the attitudes of the latter:( However, the police do have an unfortunate habit of closing ranks to defend the antics of their less savoury colleagues, and until this changes, I am afraid that you will continue to be tarred with their brush in the eyes of the public:(

Chris5-0 11 March 2005 06:04 PM

CrisP,

You'd be amazed how easy it is to get a kicking by a superviser in our job for absolutely no reason. The fact a bo55ocking was given neither proves or disproves the allegation, which was i think that the officer was abusive towards a member of the public. We cannot comment on the other points raised about not doing the job and taking sides as we were not there. There is no indication of this and i'm not pointing fingers but how do we know the lad and his girlfriend have not been offensive and abusive towards shop assistant/officer? We don't. A cynical man might say well they didn't get what they wanted so a complaint was made and the fact they are letting it go is because they know it wasn't all one sided. People realise it is so easy to 'mix us a bottle' as we say and it is routinely done to get us in trouble for that very reason. Again not saying this was the case but trying to get across the very thin line we walk every day. I know people have lost faith in us, god knows some decisions made mystify me but we try to get on with it best we can.

Fact is about a year ago i walked away from scooby net after some total tool tried getting my details and threatened to come down and sort me out cause i had the audacity to say his mate, who was 'well known in the north' was in fact an idiot not worth my attention. Not cause i was scared but cause i thought 'what's the point in this?'. I can try to justify myself til i'm blue in the face but i'll never win so i try to put forward a reasoned argument and opinion. All to often though someone comes back with abuse and offense and because of the way i am, ie i won't back down to anyone and generally don't take crap i end up fighting again against a tide of apathy and dare i say hatred to me and my colleagues who are trying to do a job. So i feel again its time to take a back seat, offer opinion and advice if requested and just watch from the sidelines laughing my head off at the pre pubescent ramblings of some on here!

Vipa 11 March 2005 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Actually Paul, as I stated in my post I based my conclusion that Stuey's description of events is roughly accurate on the fact that this officer's own immediate superior saw fit to quite seriously sanction his behaviour.

But.... You made your post based on that conclusion! Just as the Officer made his decisions based on the scene as it was presented to him when he arrived!

You may both have been right... you may both have been wrong. If your job depended on it... from the evidence you have to hand right now would you still come to the same very quick conclusions based on 1 person's account of what happened???

As I said... people make 'calls' all the time sometimes they are right and sometimes they are wrong... You seem to have already decided that Stueys version of events is the correct one (Sorry Stuey... not disputing etc.. just making a point!) which could easily cause an error in judgement on your part!

Stuey.... don't understand... you currently have a harasment suit ongoing against the force in question??

Paul

mart360 11 March 2005 07:39 PM

chris 5-0

I have dealt with most of the forces over the course of the years, and have found they come in two varietys.. most who are very good, fair and understand that it takes a mixed bag to make a good cross section!!

Other who are nothing more than power mad muppets who given some gold braid or stars think they are far more superior than anything that walks the earth, unless they have more gold braid or pips.

I once had a navel officer demanding a written appology and me paying his laundry bill, because i splashed water on him, as i drove pased him on a navel base...

The fact that he was precariously riding a bike one handed through a puddle with a box of teabags under his other arm seemed to escape his memory, along with the choice comments he fired at mewhen he complained to my boss. my boss immidiatly started fawning and appologising and sent me back to appologise..

did i ??

this was the brief synopsis of the conversation

I was threatened with being barred from the establishment, how it would affect my companys position and what did i think of splashing an officers clothes, Again the fact that barring the company would have caused serious fall out from the local community!!

I smiled nicely and told him where to go, reminded him that i was a civilian, and he had no jurisdiction over me. That his laundry was paid for as part of his rank, and should he whish to pursue the matter further, i would be quite happy to discuss this with his superior officer, and seek clarification that was it acceptable for a serving officer, to tell a civialian to f*ck off becasue he got splashed whist weaving through a puddle not in control of a pushbike??
and i would also relay the comments he had just throw at me.
he went ballistic and stormed off and i went back to work..

a couple of days later i met his boss, who was pissing himself laughing, apparantly it was all over the base what had happened

turns out that matey was known for being a bit of a jumped up so and so, and his outburst had done him no favours what so ever. force and disrepute spring to mind.!!

it dosn,t surprise me that this happened, recently my brother in law and i went out for a drink, he by coincedance happens to be bib, and is one of the nicecst blokes you could ever meet, both professionally and socially.

we came out of the pub and were walking home along the high street when the local bib did a tour. they drove past , stopped and the two gents got out, one wandered off, the other stood by the car, and then decides he,s going to do the i,m going to stare you out routine!!

it wasnt the usual "oh yea lads on a night out" look, it was the "i,m going to have you matey look". i have never seen my brother in law get ruffleled, but his comment to me as we approached was if he, dosent pack it in, i,m going to have his badge number and take it further.

I thought he was joking, but i soon realised he was serious. fortunatly his colleague came back, and they went off, but the first guy kept giving my brother the eye..

did it warrrent it?? nope

why did matey do it who knows,

we cant comment on what goes through peoples heads, but i would hazard a guess that there are a fair few who get confused as to what there job role is.

Mart :D

Stueyb 11 March 2005 08:10 PM

Lol as for the credit peeps, i keep getting put through to some woman with an indian accent and she tells me to take it up with the store. I tried to explain what banned from the premises means but to no avail. I think its a trip to comainies house to get the particulars of ownership for this one ! We jibbed 3 off anyhow as I bought her an orange contract with a better phone.

Chris5-0 11 March 2005 11:05 PM

Mart,

Shall we put it down to ar5ehole5 everywhere and leave it at that? I'm tired and working my 9th straight shift tomorrow so i'm off to bed!!