ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Just back from New Zealand! But no pics to make you jealous :) (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/508669-just-back-from-new-zealand-but-no-pics-to-make-you-jealous.html)

SiPie 20 April 2006 08:52 AM

Fear of flying an' all? That's dedication!
Can't let it stop you though :D

..... All brave cos it's still a good few months away ;)

Wurzel 20 April 2006 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Fear of flying an' all? That's dedication!

I ain't goin in no airplane sucker !!!

Vegescoob 20 April 2006 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by ScoobyJawa
I went back in Jan :cool:

Loved the place so much I'm applying to live out there :D

Very conveniently Mrs. Vegescoob has NZ citizenship and some family there so we're likely going this summer to plan for permanent move in a year or two.
No, I'm not telling where we are thinking of going.
If, and for some people it's a big if, you can come to terms with the distance from the UK and a plane trip to anywhere else, it's a great place.
We did the landing on the glacier plane trip back in 1980!
However some of the NZ branch of the family moved from Auckland to Christchurch two years ago thinking Christchurch a better place to raise their children.

stevencotton 20 April 2006 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by SiPie
Pick it up and move it down to Queenstown...

Wanaka is very similar but much better, less of a tourist trap :)

ScoobyJawa 20 April 2006 11:06 AM

:) I can easily come to terms with the distance from the UK - thats one of the things that appeals ;) :D Plus my family are looking to move out there in the next 2-3 years anyway :) Its not that bad a plane ride to places though. Its only 10-11 hours to the west coast US (which appeals for hols), no worse than the UK!
Syndey is only 2ish hours away as we stopped there en route, and the rest of Oz is pretty accessible as is Japan etc. :)

TurboMav cheers :)

SiPie 20 April 2006 11:06 AM

Wanaka is very similar but much better, less of a tourist trap
:thumb:

ScoobyJawa 20 April 2006 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by stevencotton
Wanaka is very similar but much better, less of a tourist trap :)

From the descriptions I expected to hate Queenstown but I really loved the place :) But then I liked Wanaka too - but it was spoilt by a big festival being on there and loads of slobs/louts and litter.
Also was very found of Te Anau on the way to Milford Sound, really nice quaint little place, really tidy and pretty :)

Frosty The Snowman 20 April 2006 12:04 PM

Its only 10-11 hours to the west coast US (which appeals for hols), no worse than the UK!
Syndey is only 2ish hours away as we stopped there en route, and the rest of Oz is pretty accessible as is Japan etc. :)

Not forgetting that Fiji, Tahiti and a whole host of other very beautiful places to stay are only a couple of hours away...who needs the west coast of the US :cool:

ScoobyJawa 20 April 2006 02:35 PM

True! :D

Brendan Hughes 20 April 2006 02:41 PM

pretty accessible as is Japan etc. :)

Last (only) time I flew direct, it was an overnight flight from Japan, I dunno, 7 hours. That's like saying Chicago is pretty accessible from London!

I would live in NZ if it had the accessibility of Europe - but a two-hour flight just to get to Oz, and a hell of a lot more to get any further, suggests I'd get bored.

stevencotton 20 April 2006 02:56 PM

Bored isn't the word, especially if you do the 14 hour flight from Melbourne <-> Dubai.