ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Proof why ID cards are a bad idea (Merged : 25m Records Lost) (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/648789-proof-why-id-cards-are-a-bad-idea-merged-25m-records-lost.html)

jjones 20 November 2007 07:36 PM

:o

disgraceful

hutton_d 20 November 2007 07:53 PM

One of the most pertinent bits from the story:

"After this disaster how can the public possibly have confidence in the vast centralised databases needed for the compulsory ID card scheme" .....

Exactly ..... hopefully another nail in the coffin for ID cards!

Dave

HankScorpio 20 November 2007 08:41 PM

Things get lost all the time, it's the precautions that are important, I want to know if it was encrypted, how it was encrypted and that the decryption keys weren't on a post it in the same envelope!!

Sonic' 20 November 2007 08:46 PM

It was password protected

But the password was probably on a post it note attached to the cd's

Sonic' 20 November 2007 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by hutton_d (Post 7425420)
"After this disaster how can the public possibly have confidence in the vast centralised databases needed for the compulsory ID card scheme" .....

Rumours are that an anonymous source has already started making the ID cards, starting with all children under 16 and their parents ;)

The Zohan 20 November 2007 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by hutton_d (Post 7425420)
One of the most pertinent bits from the story:

Exactly ..... hopefully another nail in the coffin for ID cards!

Dave

Lest hope so.

I would not trust this govenment to pour water out of a wellie boot - with the instructions written on the sole!

Bravo2zero_sps 20 November 2007 09:14 PM

Every week you just have to wonder what Labour are going to fcuk up next :mad:

Hanley 20 November 2007 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood (Post 7425693)
I would not trust this govenment to pour water out of a wellie boot - with the instructions written on the sole!

Classic!!!

:D :D :D

Gordon_Brown 20 November 2007 10:08 PM

Well, my blood is boiling and my lip is quivering more frequently than it ever did !

Now the departure of Mr Darling is imminent.

Truth be known, I have wanted to get rid of this co*k-knocker for some time on the basis of his revolting eye-brows being a two tone colour. Now I have a proper excuse.

He could be working in a Burger King near you, very soon!

I once tried to 'frame' him with Anne Widdecombe, I had the cameras set up ready for him to nail the bloated seal that she is. The next day I was rubbing my hands with glee, thinking i've got the under-achieving parasite, but, on closer inspection, I notice that it's Lord Heseltine that she's riding like a bucking bronco. Dirty!

Regards
Gordon Brown PM
EX CoE

Dream Weaver 20 November 2007 10:55 PM

Unbelievable :angry:

Why didn't someone drive the discs personally!!

dpb 20 November 2007 10:59 PM

W@nkers - who else trusts TNT ...!?

Funkii Munkii 21 November 2007 01:04 AM

I would have expected to have seen Lewis on this thread excusing his beloved party once more, maybe he's finally admited defeat. I would have thought in this day and age they could have been transfered electronically from one govt server to another, I'm no techie but if I can upload a few pics to Photobucket how difficult can it be !!

StickyMicky 21 November 2007 06:33 AM

couldn't they just ftp them down to london??

ziptie the disks to a pigeons leg would have been a better bet LOL

_Meridian_ 21 November 2007 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver (Post 7426081)
Unbelievable :angry:

Why didn't someone drive the discs personally!!

Because you'd be head of the queue of people complaining about civil servants acting as couriers at your expense?

It has long been perfectly legal (and common) to send stuff on the lowest level of security (which these would be) through ordinary post. It's actually more secure than courier, as couriers are much more often the target of robberies. All that has happened to these is that Royal Fail has managed to lose them. Which couriers also sometimes do.

And WTF has this got to do with Labour anyway? This was a civil service person screw-up, and would have happened no matter who was in power.

M

Bravo2zero_sps 21 November 2007 08:36 AM

What's the situation regarding breaching the data protection act? Legal action anyone? If it was a private company that did it they would be hung up by their balls. Why should HMRC get away with it?

OllyK 21 November 2007 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by _Meridian_ (Post 7426344)
It's actually more secure than courier, as couriers are much more often the target of robberies. All that has happened to these is that Royal Fail has managed to lose them. Which couriers also sometimes do.
M

Err, it was sent via Internal Mail using a courier, not RM!

Lee247 21 November 2007 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by ************** (Post 7426476)
What's the situation regarding breaching the data protection act? Legal action anyone? If it was a private company that did it they would be hung up by their balls. Why should HMRC get away with it?

Excellent point :thumb:
No doubt it will be swept under the carpet

David Lock 21 November 2007 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by _Meridian_ (Post 7426344)
Because you'd be head of the queue of people complaining about civil servants acting as couriers at your expense?

It has long been perfectly legal (and common) to send stuff on the lowest level of security (which these would be) through ordinary post. It's actually more secure than courier, as couriers are much more often the target of robberies. All that has happened to these is that Royal Fail has managed to lose them. Which couriers also sometimes do.

And WTF has this got to do with Labour anyway? This was a civil service person screw-up, and would have happened no matter who was in power.

M

I don't think Royal Mail were involved. It was the government that got rid of many civil servants which may well have included staff who realised that you don't send this type of info the way they did. It was probably left to an OA (Office Assistant) to send the stuff off who simply didn't have a clue. dl

STiFreak 21 November 2007 09:02 AM

In the BBC report last night, they said the request for the data was handled by a junior employee who copied the data to two CD's. WTF are junior employees doing with access to all that data in the first place. Sounds like their IT dept need a sound kick up the backside too.

The Snug Rhino 21 November 2007 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by STiFreak (Post 7426548)
WTF are junior employees doing with access to all that data in the first place.

be sensible - you think junior employees of any organisation should not be allowed to see customers names and address and bank details? What do you think happens to your tax return when you send it in? they all handle it with their eyes closed until it reaches Gordon himself to work out your bill?

PeteBrant 21 November 2007 09:42 AM

It doesn't matter how it happend, or who was involved. The important thing is to realise that the Government, any government, cannot be trusted to keep your details, as would be required for an ID card, away from those that might take advantage of any leaks in the system. In other words, this single event renders the whole philosophy behind ID cards completely redundant, and they should annouce plans to scrap the scheme immediatly.

SJ_Skyline 21 November 2007 10:11 AM

The data was sent on 18 October and senior management at HMRC were told it was missing on 8 November and the chancellor on 10 November
So the data's been out there for over a month! :eek: Do they really think they'll get it back? :cuckoo:

SJ_Skyline 21 November 2007 10:16 AM

Nice to see that they've set up a helpline... on a premium rate 0845 number... :mad:

Clarebabes 21 November 2007 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by PeteBrant (Post 7426617)
It doesn't matter how it happend, or who was involved. The important thing is to realise that the Government, any government, cannot be trusted to keep your details, as would be required for an ID card, away from those that might take advantage of any leaks in the system. In other words, this single event renders the whole philosophy behind ID cards completely redundant, and they should annouce plans to scrap the scheme immediatly.

Agree, but you've got more chance of them flying to the moon with wings made out of paper.

Clarebabes 21 November 2007 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline (Post 7426718)
Nice to see that they've set up a helpline... on a premium rate 0845 number... :mad:

0845 numbers are local rate.

unclebuck 21 November 2007 11:08 AM

It's ok, they've apologised unreservedly so it's all fine. :lol1:

After all, it's only 25 million people's personal details.

PM's Questions should be amusing at midday. ;)

ChrisB 21 November 2007 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino (Post 7426569)
be sensible - you think junior employees of any organisation should not be allowed to see customers names and address and bank details? What do you think happens to your tax return when you send it in? they all handle it with their eyes closed until it reaches Gordon himself to work out your bill?

Of course not, but given the data being handled, access to resources such as CD/DVD-burners shouldn't be given to junior staff. They might need to look at the data to do their job but the ability to extract data from such a large system onto removable media should be restricted.

I wonder if policies are in place to block use of USB memory sticks and the like?

Leslie 21 November 2007 12:02 PM

It has been mentioned often enough that an ID card system would not be safe from the hackers for much more that a week, but now we find that this sorry apology for a government is actually handing out the informatiom to the crooks on a plate! I notice that despite the top civil servant resigning, that the Chancellor is staying firmly put as usual.

The levels of incompetence and sheer apathy being demonstrated is beyond belief. It is worth remembering that Flash was the former Chancellor and presided over the combination of the IRS and Customs.

The great control freak who does not trust any of his ministers and does not even deign to talk to the the junior ones is losing control and respect from his cabinet who after all are only a bunch of bottom kissers anyway interested only in their own advancement at all costs. Sod the electorate, we are of no interest to them!

Les :(

Vampire 21 November 2007 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Clarebabes (Post 7426726)
0845 numbers are local rate.

You're still paying if you call it though, should be freephone. :mad:

Vampire 21 November 2007 12:30 PM

Psst, anyone want to buy some CD's? ;)

Find Two CD-R's - Have data on them - some sort of database on eBay within, Other, Everything Else (end time 21-Nov-07 12:21:09 GMT)

Not me selling btw. :lol1: