ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   £30k for the FRS!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/748023-30k-for-the-frs.html)

zip106 24 February 2009 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 8535032)
The old RS is more "floored" than a branch of Wickes.

Only to those who couldn't drive it properly ;)

290 AND READY 24 February 2009 11:46 PM

lovely

Hoppy 25 February 2009 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver (Post 8534941)
That is for the old RS. :D

Oops yes! Bladdy google :D To make up for it, here is a quote from the real article in last weekend's Sunday Times, on the new RS:

"The effect is that while there is still torque steer, it’s now a gentle tug rather than a huge lane-changing yank. You can accelerate on a bumpy road and not fire straight into the nearest tree. And here’s the big news: it’s better than all current four-wheel-drive systems in go-fast hatchbacks."

:eek: :eek: :eek:

ScoobyJawa 25 February 2009 08:42 AM

Don't post that, this is a Subaru forum and you aren't allowed to say stuff like that ;) :D

SPEN555 25 February 2009 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Hoppy (Post 8536372)
Times Quote
And here’s the big news: it’s better than all current four-wheel-drive systems in go-fast hatchbacks.[/B]"

What a total load of bo!!ocks. 2wd is never gonna be as good as 4wd no matter what fancy LSD's you put in them.

I will start to believe it when I see Defender's off road ability being outdone by 2wd's. Also, with all the money thrown at WRC why do they not have 2wd if it's so good. :D

Brun 25 February 2009 11:08 AM

134bhp rwd annoys me now so you can keep a 300bhp fwd car. I miss my awd :D

Hoppy 25 February 2009 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by SPEN555 (Post 8536786)
What a total load of bo!!ocks. 2wd is never gonna be as good as 4wd no matter what fancy LSD's you put in them.

I tend to agree, and I'm never going to buy an FRS because of it. On the limit, 4WD has more potential grip. And it can push the car along, as well as pull it.

But at anything less than the asbolute limit, ie most of the time, then FWD has some grip to spare. And if Ford has come up with a clever system, which it obvioulsy has, that can utilise more of the spare grip, more of the time, then it is very possible to go faster.

Unfortunately, it is quite easy to reach the limit of grip on wet and bumpy roads, and my guess that is when the FRS will disappoint. But at all other times it should be damn good fun. Wooden steering, but still fun ;) :D

ScoobyJawa 25 February 2009 03:06 PM

Just for info the latest AutoExpress opinion (RS vs Mini JCW vs Impreza STi).... :Suspiciou ;)

"Sitting in third place is the Impreza STi. It still has bags of charm and is deceptively fast. However, in the dry, the Subaru’s four-wheel-drive system seems unnecessary when compared to two of the best front-driven models on the planet."

:wonder: :D

Although the Mini wins due to being more accessible at sane speeds! lol

New Focus RS vs rivals | Car Group Tests | Car Reviews | Auto Express

Hoppy 25 February 2009 03:59 PM

Of those three cars, I've only driven the Mini JCW and I have to say that it torque steered like a b@5tard, even at sane speeds. It was never dangerous, and you could always drive throught it, but it wasn't pleasant and spoiled a brilliant car I thought.

I guess you could live with it in the dry, but it would be a real pain in the wet. And I guess when it comes down to it, we're talking about wet handling when the FRS will be found wanting. And that would really annoy me, but at all other times it sounds like a storming drive!

Dream Weaver 25 February 2009 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by SPEN555 (Post 8536786)

I will start to believe it when I see Defender's off road ability being outdone by 2wd's. Also, with all the money thrown at WRC why do they not have 2wd if it's so good. :D

How often would you drive a RS or new STi off road?

SPEN555 25 February 2009 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver (Post 8538877)
How often would you drive a RS or new STi off road?

The point is 2wd can never be as good as 4wd.

If I can get my vectra with 120bhp to spin its wheels for fun anything with 300bhp through its front wheels no matter what fancy diff and TC it has would ultimately just pi$$ me off. The UK is not really very good at having many dry days, most seem to be conditions which leave the road greasy and quite slippery for getting power down. RWD at least you can have some fun but FWD it becomes tiresome. IMO.

Brun 25 February 2009 11:47 PM

^^^
Agreed :)

Terminator X 26 February 2009 12:49 AM

A lot of machinery will p*ss on current Scoob ... wind that back to the RA-R & my view is the FRS will struggle.

TX.

Originally Posted by Hoppy (Post 8536372)
And here’s the big news: it’s better than all current four-wheel-drive systems in go-fast hatchbacks."[/I]

thesyn 26 February 2009 07:27 AM

I applaud innovation and love new car models as much as anyone else but if my ship containing between 25 and 30k came in now I would look at lots of other cars before this.
This is just a price comment haven't seen or read any reviews yet.

Dream Weaver 26 February 2009 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by SPEN555 (Post 8539027)
The point is 2wd can never be as good as 4wd.

If I can get my vectra with 120bhp to spin its wheels for fun anything with 300bhp through its front wheels no matter what fancy diff and TC it has would ultimately just pi$$ me off. The UK is not really very good at having many dry days, most seem to be conditions which leave the road greasy and quite slippery for getting power down. RWD at least you can have some fun but FWD it becomes tiresome. IMO.

That surely depends on what criteria you base it on.

If you had a 50 miles stretch of bumpy B road you could close off for the day and you asked someone like the Stig to get from point A to point B as fast as possible in both the FRS and an STI, then yes there may be an advantage to the Subaru if it was wet, in the dry I don't know.

So if you are doing pure statistics for one car vs the other, then in wet conditions AWD may be better when on the asbolute limit, in theory it should be.

But for the average man driving a performance car daily, or just at the weekend they will rarley be anywhere near the limit on public roads, and if they are then they should be banned.

I'm a fairly slow driver, BOB T. can vouch for that the way he left me for dead on Sunday in same spec'd ST's ;)

I'm too old and too scared to drive quickly, always thinking what may be round the next bend, and often thinking of that 10p short geezer that went to prison. :(

Therefore I don't drive anywhere near the limit and if its wet I drive very carefully, regardless of which car I am in.

So, for me personally there is absolutely no advantage whatsoever of AWD, but plenty of disadvantages.

As for wheelspinning, I suggest you try a ST or the new RS for yourself. My old 205 had 200bhp and would spin in any gear, terrible in the wet. My ST has approx 280bhp ish and it rarely spins the wheels in the wet. Yes if its really wet/greasy you can provoke it to slip, but as I said driving quickly in those conditions is just ridiculous.

There is no answer as to which is better, FWD or AWD as there are many variables, it's just good we have such choice now. :)

And good that at least Ford can produce a nice looking hatch, unlike the AWD makers Mitsi and Subaru. ;)

Connor_scotland 26 February 2009 03:10 PM

Im not keen on it at all..

Would rather spend £25k on something else other than a Focus tbh

It does sound very nice tho.

Thats my opinion anyways

The way it would work..... £2k on a standard corsa 1.2life with around 70k on it with minor bodywork damage an a nasty smell in it £23k putting random fibreglass parts on it and then driving about town all night.... Get noticed on web based forums and featured in Max Flower where then all the 16y/o women i could ask for would appear before me

Booooyakasha