ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Floods in Aus (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/867893-floods-in-aus.html)

andythejock01wrx 13 January 2011 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 9819789)
There's been so many tragic stories.

Amazing, that other story of the woman who summoned the strength to hold on and got winched to saftey! But lost her dog. :(

Yes, that was in Brazil. Great to see!

joz8968 13 January 2011 11:18 PM

Oops, getting my concurrent global disasters mixed up again. Tut tut, I don't know. :rolleyes: :lol1:

Must remember not to do that in future. ;) :D

andythejock01wrx 13 January 2011 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 9819831)
Oops, getting my concurrent global disasters mixed up again. Tut tut, I don't know. :rolleyes: :lol1:

Must remember not to do that in future. ;) :D

Not to worry - just great she made it up that rope!

joz8968 13 January 2011 11:27 PM

Amazing it was. Can you image how the force of that raging torrent must have felt?!! Mental.... and utterly terrifying!

baser999 15 January 2011 04:37 AM

'Significant others' sister is in Fairfield - she said the water was at the bottom end of town - she's missed it so far as she's that bit farther up the hill although she said you could smell it! She's without power but there was talk of it being restored this weekend.
Living life by candlelight, although as she's partially-sighted it's not made a great deal of difference to her.

Scooby Roo 15 January 2011 05:00 AM

We lived in Brissie until a year ago now [currently in Sadelaide]. Flying over on Monday to help out a few old friends and neighbours in and around the CBD and New Farm.

Not too badly affected but it's just the need to help out.

Rup

andythejock01wrx 15 January 2011 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Scooby Roo (Post 9821776)
We lived in Brissie until a year ago now [currently in Sadelaide]. Flying over on Monday to help out a few old friends and neighbours in and around the CBD and New Farm.

Not too badly affected but it's just the need to help out.

Rup

:cool:

(that means "that's cool", rather than "this is a pic of a typical Aussie in his sunnies"!)

Scooby Roo 15 January 2011 12:28 PM

:eek:

[Yep I'm a typical yorkshire man trying to help] :)

It's great how everyone get's stuck in. When you consider the area affected [bear in mind Queensland is 7x the size of the UK] and that an area the size of France and Gemany are underwater is unreal to comprehend, but that's a fact.\

I was at the Adelaide Oval watching the Twenty20 and Trott and others were going around the ground collecting for the cause. Brilliant.........................and winning on the last ball summut else.

Roo

andythejock01wrx 15 January 2011 12:59 PM

Yup, know what you mean.

Gf's mum visited her sister in Cairns a few weeks ago by car, comming from Maroochydore one hour north of Brisbane. All within Queensland and easily as far as Land's End to John O'Groats (and they had to take a 600km detour to avoid the floods on the way back!).

TonyBurns 15 January 2011 02:51 PM

My mate called up yesterday as he is visiting relatives out in Oz, been there since late november and is about 100 miles west of Brisbane, said they went to the shops last week and spent 3 days there :lol1: as the roads were flooded so they couldnt get back.
He said its not too bad now, alot of the water where they are has subsided but its the greenest he has ever seen it, and he was taking the p1ss out of us just before he went saying about the rain and cold weather we were getting here :lol1: on the sad side the nearest town has 16 dead and over 50 missing people :( so its hit pretty much every community in the area.

Tony:(

dpb 15 January 2011 02:58 PM

You can hardly fathom it after how ever many years of drought theyve had !

The place they featured in that valley 60 miles west of Brisbane didnt even have a river near it , thats just bloody rude :eek: