ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Why don't many scooby owners track 'em? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/570287-why-dont-many-scooby-owners-track-em.html)

911 01 January 2007 10:23 AM

https://www.scoobynet.com/motor-spor...-pictures.html

Follow the above
You need a helmet and overalls; your license is good.
You need to see Harewood House hillclimb.
Try: www.harewoodhillclimb.co.uk or similar.
Join that Club, it is really good.

The MSA also have a getting started thread too on their site.

Here is one of the 12 bends or so at Harewood in the damp:
DropShots Day

Graham

terryb 01 January 2007 11:04 AM

Good thread :thumb:

I must admit that I have caught both the track day and competition bug :D:D:D

However I appreciate and respect that track days are not for everyone. Some of these Scoobies are expensive cars worth well over £20k and if used as daily drivers then I can appreciate people not wanting to track them.

I can also personally appreciate the wear and tear factor that track days do to your car. In the last 12 months I have spent nearly £10k maintaining mine which includes 2 engine failures, brake failure, clutch, wheel bearing, exhaust, gearbox casing failure and full damper rebuild and new springs. I have no doubt that the amount of track time this car has endured (plenty before I bought it) has taken its toll and unfortunately I have had to bear the cost of repairs :( And to make it worse, this car was purchased because I wrote my last one off at Castle Coombe.

However I now am fortunate enough to convert the car into a track-based weapon and not have to rely on using it every day. So the mods have been purchased to take this car to the next level in performance - a proper 450/450 level and stripped out/ track prepared.

However track days are not enough for me. Hence the competition element that you get from the Time Attack (Time Attack Series - Official Website) event. I would love to get my race licence and compete in a suitable race series in the future - ie Britcars or similar with the ultimate aim of entering the Nurburgring 24 hours in 3 or 4 years :D:D:D

Whatever happens I'll have a lot of fun getting there (and a lot more disappointment too when my gearbox explodes and I will need to spend £3k on a PPG gearset)

For anyone interested, there is a track day at Donington that I am involved in organising. Monday March 5th and it is a Noisy Day (105dB drive by) Best of all is the cost of only £149 but you will need to be a member of either the SIDC/ MLR or GTROC to get a ticket. PM me if you want more info.

Happy tracking in 2007 :D

ScoobyWeb 01 January 2007 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by dynamix
none of us can legally use our car's potential on the road - the track is the only place.

I have tracked mine

Its first track day was when it was 3 weeks old - cost £100 plus 3 tanks of petrol. No damage.
Second track excursion was the nurburgring, 13 laps of the ring and not a problem. Then a sprint on a kart circuit and another track day at Cadwell.

Cadwell was the hardest on the car due to the heavy braking zones but still no problems.

After that Snetterton and again no problems apart from some brake judder.

Wear and Tear on my car after:
.. Snetterton (about 210 track miles)
.. Nurburgring (about 170 very hard track miles)
.. MLR sprint
.. Honnington (about 30 track miles)
.. Cadwell (about 130 track miles)
.. Snetterton (about 60 track miles)
.. plus 15000 normal road miles

- 1 set of tyres RE070 (love them and the seemingly limitless grip and still have this set for future track days with about 3 mm tread left)
- pads worn about 25% (Ferodo DS2500 - changed from standard pre ring trip along with braided lines and RBF600 brake fluid)
- a couple of extra rattles
- a few stone chips on the front
- a couple of extra oil changes and topping up of brake fluid (but then most of the show and shine brigade here would do that anyway)

Sure there is some wear and tear but how much of this would be there anyway and the amount of LEGAL fun has been superb.

Ours are performance cars - we should use them as such.

Spot on post, a trackday in your car is as hard on the car as YOU make it, You can have a lot of fun without trashing the car.
When I have taken my previous cars on track (Open Pit Lane) I will take the car out and do 6 or 8 fast laps and then back in the pits have a coffee and a smoke and 20 mins later back out again, do this for 3 of 4 sessions and don't cane the car to within an inch of it's life and you will not hurt the car. Must look after it between trackday's though, oil changes etc.

Martin-STI 01 January 2007 12:01 PM

Done Trackdays and Nurburgring, what a buzz I personally got doing both.

On the last SMACS (Subaru Owners club of South Manchester And Cheshire Subaru's (SMACS) )ring trip:notworthy , One of the SMACS members caved in his nearside on his car whilst there and I had to have new N/S/F wishbone and ball joint after hitting my front wheel on armco. :wonder:

But personally I had so much enjoyment that,that out weighs the cost.:luxhello:

Everyone has a different opinion and no one is right and no one is wrong.:Whatever_

If you look at the above web site you will see we go into the welsh hills and that is a good drive out too.:thumb:

All have fun and use your car as YOU wish and not as someone else says you should use it. :p

dynamix 01 January 2007 12:23 PM

plus on a track - there are:

- no potholes (generally)
- no drain covers on corners (generally)
- no pedestrians
- no cars coming the other way (generally ;) )
- run off areas
- no-one pushing you to go faster than you can
- better drivers to learn from
- better drivers to go out with as passengers
- qualified instructors

A track day doesnt need to cost much and if you insure your car with the likes of Keith Michael, can get track day insurance too for £60 - greenlight do a similar scheme, so if it does go badly wrong all is not lost.

A lot of people on here than winge about not being able to afford it will happily spend £200 on a dump valve that has no value/purpose/benefit and blow a £100 out on a night razzing it up each weekend.

A typical track day costs:
£130 entry
£80 petrol

and adds a little to the maintenance of the car in wear and tear.... not much really.

Perhaps they are just afraid of finding out that they are not the drivers they think they are ;)

HowieG 01 January 2007 12:28 PM

Great thread.

I have to agree that it doesn't have to cost the earth. I take my standard WRX bugeye on the track 3/4 times a year with no maintenance implications at all. Track today - Tescos tomorrow. Yes, things do wear out faster, but not much. Stay away from some airfield days - I've heard that they have very abrasive surfaces and will kill your tyres.

As for cost being the reason - don't buy extra guages, lowering kits, knocklinks, mudflaps and all that tosh and then say you can't afford it. You will start to live and have some really fun experience if you track it. Even if you only do it once! You absolutely will not regret it.

Until you've taken your Scoob on the track you have been nowhere near its limits - believe me you can't get close on the road.

As for Scoobs being poor track cars - couldn't disagree more. As a road car/ occasional track car compromise they are great. Just don't expect it to be like a Caterham. Part of the fun is learning to drive the car to its limit and working around its deficiencies.

So come on fellas, next time I'm at Bedford there should be more than 2/3 Scoobies, there should be loads!

PS Who is the fella with the red Spec C with 'SCOOBY' on his boot lid? He's always at Bedford when I go - and usually sideways!

Howard

lisa300 01 January 2007 12:31 PM

trackday use

dont know about anyone else but i would'nt buy a scooby if i new it had been used as a track day car,i know they are performance machines and should be good for it but these cars are our pride and joy with lots of money and time put into them so why would you then abuse them on a track. Just a thought:(

HowieG 01 January 2007 12:38 PM

Don't think of it as abuse - it's just use. Driving it hard is not the same as ragging it to death, which can of course be done on the road.

Howard

martx 01 January 2007 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by dreamer_girl
Trackdays are great fun but not cheap (not as expensive as some are making out though!!). So long as you don't crash, hit something, or get hit by someone anyway (that's rare at a well organised track event.)

Petrol - you'll use loads
Tyres - I got 15k miles out of my last set of rears on an s2000 including 3 track days, so you won't do too much damage in one day
Brakes - same as tyres really, you won't do too much damage
General wear and tear - sure it's a bit harder on the car, but one track day is hardly going to kill it !!!!!!

Loads of fun, but there are better cars on the track than a (standard) :notworthy scooby.

:notworthy THE ABOVE REALLY ARE THE FACTS. END OF.:notworthy

martx 01 January 2007 02:41 PM

plus on a track - there are:

- no potholes (generally)
- no drain covers on corners (generally)
- no pedestrians
- no cars coming the other way (generally ;) )
- run off areas
- no-one pushing you to go faster than you can
- better drivers to learn from
- better drivers to go out with as passengers
- qualified instructors

A track day doesnt need to cost much and if you insure your car with the likes of Keith Michael, can get track day insurance too for £60 - greenlight do a similar scheme, so if it does go badly wrong all is not lost.

A lot of people on here than winge about not being able to afford it will happily spend £200 on a dump valve that has no value/purpose/benefit and blow a £100 out on a night razzing it up each weekend.

A typical track day costs:
£130 entry
£80 petrol

and adds a little to the maintenance of the car in wear and tear.... not much really.

Perhaps they are just afraid of finding out that they are not the drivers they think they are ;)

:notworthy I completely agree :notworthy

martx 01 January 2007 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by HowieG
Great thread.

I have to agree that it doesn't have to cost the earth. I take my standard WRX bugeye on the track 3/4 times a year with no maintenance implications at all. Track today - Tescos tomorrow. Yes, things do wear out faster, but not much. Stay away from some airfield days - I've heard that they have very abrasive surfaces and will kill your tyres.

As for cost being the reason - don't buy extra guages, lowering kits, knocklinks, mudflaps and all that tosh and then say you can't afford it. You will start to live and have some really fun experience if you track it. Even if you only do it once! You absolutely will not regret it.

Until you've taken your Scoob on the track you have been nowhere near its limits - believe me you can't get close on the road.

As for Scoobs being poor track cars - couldn't disagree more. As a road car/ occasional track car compromise they are great. Just don't expect it to be like a Caterham. Part of the fun is learning to drive the car to its limit and working around its deficiencies.

So come on fellas, next time I'm at Bedford there should be more than 2/3 Scoobies, there should be loads!

Howard

Bang on mate,

I had a supercharged ariel atom last year and with the sun shining was the ultimate track weapon but i just couldn't justify having that sort of dough tied up it something i only drove when sunny (I live in england for christ sake!)

The Scooby is the best arounder i've ever had. Ok, so it might not be as ballistic as the atom on a track but you can take the piss a bit more in the bends and chat and laugh with ya pal whilst doing so!...And pick the wife up a chinese and a flatpack chest of drawers from ikea on the home from the track.

Martx

davyboy 01 January 2007 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by lisa300
dont know about anyone else but i would'nt buy a scooby if i new it had been used as a track day car

The thing is, you'd proably never know!

martx 01 January 2007 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by davyboy
The thing is, you'd proably never know!

You're quite right but isn't that always the case?. This is off topic but I bought an M3 a few years ago & paid £200 for a full AA check that came back clear. It turned out the inspector (i use the term loosely) didn't do his job properly, minor oil leak etc. I put the car into BMW and had about £2.5k worth of work on it & AA paid the bill no probs.

Moral of story: AA inspection well worth the money, literally buying piece of mind,

martx

Blueblaster 01 January 2007 04:14 PM

Reports of low wear and tear on other cars are all very interesting, but don't give an accurate reflection of the costs of hurling an Impreza around a track. I would have needed new pads all round after 10,000 careful miles in my STI (had I not got rid of it) and the tyres were suffering from the usual uneven wear problem. I know the whole car can be upgraded if necessary, but that costs a lot of money. I would love to know how some of you drive on your track days as 100 miles of maximum acceleration and heavy braking would have totally knackered my STI.

Editted to say, it will be interesting to see how EVO get on with their long term WRX. Given how many motorway miles they do the tyres and brakes should last for a long time. It will be interesting to see the impact of their regular track days.

martx 01 January 2007 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
Reports of low wear and tear on other cars are all very interesting, but don't give an accurate reflection of the costs of hurling an Impreza around a track. I would have needed new pads all round after 10,000 careful miles in my STI (had I not got rid of it) and the tyres were suffering from the usual uneven wear problem. I know the whole car can be upgraded if necessary, but that costs a lot of money. I would love to know how some of you drive on your track days as 100 miles of maximum acceleration and heavy braking would have totally knackered my STI.

I doubt 100 miles would knacker a car, any car, unless very old or in very poor condition...

F1 CJE UK 01 January 2007 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz
and all chavs,poles and romanians insure their cars before driving on the public highway?

Another contender for Most Stupid Post of the Year 2006

I think you have just won that with your reply :wonder:

Blueblaster 01 January 2007 04:33 PM

We are not going to agree on this are we, Mr Martx

Blueblaster 01 January 2007 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by F1 CJE UK
Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz
and all chavs,poles and romanians insure their cars before driving on the public highway?

I think you have just won that with your reply :wonder:

Maybe you would care to enlighten me as to how a racist, generalised comment about "Chavs, Poles and Romanians" public highway car insurance is relevant to a topic about track days?

martx 01 January 2007 04:39 PM

We are not going to agree on this are we, Mr Martx

Me thinks not Mr.Blueblaster. :brickwall

davyboy 01 January 2007 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by martx
I doubt 100 miles would knacker a car, any car, unless very old or in very poor condition...

My 944 Turbo has done over 6500 miles of the ring (on R rated tyres too), and plenty of other trackdays, at Donington, Silverstone, Oulton and Bedford.

Still going strong :thumb: and with very little modification.

Nürburg_Ringa 01 January 2007 05:55 PM

:thumb: :thumb:

martx 01 January 2007 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by davyboy
My 944 Turbo has done over 6500 miles of the ring (on R rated tyres too), and plenty of other trackdays, at Donington, Silverstone, Oulton and Bedford.

Still going strong :thumb: and with very little modification.

I thank you.:notworthy

Blueblaster 01 January 2007 05:59 PM

What I meant was the tyres and brakes on my STI would have been knackered. I didn't mean to imply that body panels would be hanging off and the engine would be on it's last legs. :Whatever_

911 01 January 2007 06:01 PM

Do you really buy an Impreza with the worry of brake/tyre wear in the front of your mind?
The car is designed to be driven hard/to school/to supermarket/in snow/in sun etc.

Track days are the only safe place to stretch the car (and you) other than real competition.
I hate those who boast 'I went round this island sideways, scares the sh!t out of everyone...'

What a poor way to fool about.

I have thrashed the living daylights out of my Sti (on the track) and get home safely and without incident, but will still hit 7500 rpm in the gears every now and then.
My last set of special track tyres (Kumho V70A) lasted 2800 miles and 10 full hillclimb weekends and Kumho told me I should try harder....

I should add that the car has a lot of mods to it, costing about £6K.

On another note, my 1973 911 did the same thing for 10 years too, you get what you pay for as davyboy knows too well.

Get out in 2007 and do some track day and enjoy the car, the company and to hell with the wear on the inside of the front tyres.

dynamix 01 January 2007 06:07 PM

Editted to say, it will be interesting to see how EVO get on with their long term WRX. Given how many motorway miles they do the tyres and brakes should last for a long time. It will be interesting to see the impact of their regular track days.

10,000 careful miles to a set of pads - you need to study your driving technique :eek:

Tyre wear is down to geometry - get that sorted and they last well (even on track) and being smooth and mechanically sympathetic helps too.

I dont hang around on track but i could clock up 100 track miles in a morning without the car even missing a beat let alone needing a new set of pads or tyres.

The point of driving track days is to learn to drive your car and find its limits in a safe environment not blasting up the highway or hooning around town potentially endangerously others aswell as being illegal. If you have never tracked your car - you have no idea of its potential. (legally)

martx 01 January 2007 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by 911
Do you really buy an Impreza with the worry of brake/tyre wear in the front of your mind?
The car is designed to be driven hard/to school/to supermarket/in snow/in sun etc.

Track days are the only safe place to stretch the car (and you) other than real competition.
I hate those who boast 'I went round this island sideways, scares the sh!t out of everyone...'

What a poor way to fool about.

I have thrashed the living daylights out of my Sti (on the track) and get home safely and without incident, but will still hit 7500 rpm in the gears every now and then.
My last set of special track tyres (Kumho V70A) lasted 2800 miles and 10 full hillclimb weekends and Kumho told me I should try harder....

I should add that the car has a lot of mods to it, costing about £6K.

On another note, my 1973 911 did the same thing for 10 years too, you get what you pay for as davyboy knows too well.

Get out in 2007 and do some track day and enjoy the car, the company and to hell with the wear on the inside of the front tyres.

Mate,

I'm so glad you posted....:luxhello:

Read the whole thread 911, I've been pi$$in in the wind for TWO days here lol:brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall :brickwall

martx 01 January 2007 06:13 PM

10,000 careful miles to a set of pads - you need to study your driving technique :eek:

Tyre wear is down to geometry - get that sorted and they last well (even on track) and being smooth and mechanically sympathetic helps too.

I dont hang around on track but i could clock up 100 track miles in a morning without the car even missing a beat let alone needing a new set of pads or tyres.

The point of driving track days is to learn to drive your car and find its limits in a safe environment not blasting up the highway or hooning around town potentially endangerously others aswell as being illegal. If you have never tracked your car - you have no idea of its potential. (legally)

Nice one,:notworthy

martx 01 January 2007 06:18 PM

What I meant was the tyres and brakes on my STI would have been knackered. I didn't mean to imply that body panels would be hanging off and the engine would be on it's last legs. :Whatever_

100 miles tyres & brakes? what planet you on bruv? :freak3: :wonder: :lol:

RB5SCOTT 01 January 2007 06:22 PM

I love a trackday ( fcuk the expense and excuses ) :D I try to do about 3 or 4 a year. Would be up for Bedford on the 20th because i had such a good time there a couple of weeks ago drifting the M3 but i have a brand new set of tyres and would like to get a few miles out of them before i burn em' ;)

Marty, I take it you have the red spec c, i see you at Bedford last time out!

Scott

andythejock01wrx 01 January 2007 06:32 PM

Good thread !

I fancy doing a driver training day at Knockhill. You use your own car (mine's a modded 01 WRX) on the track. I'm guessing this'll be about as tough on brakes and tyres as a typical track day. Any thoughts ?

Also, I have 4 new Toyo T1Rs on the car. Should I put the 2 "Linglong" cheapies I have sitting in the garage onto the car for the day to save the Toyos, or do you reckon that would have too much of an effect on grip and handling ?

Have only had the Scoob 6 months - will a track day result in more front end tyre wear, or is the wear uniform all the way round ?