ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Apple Macs infected with Flashback Trojan (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/931292-apple-macs-infected-with-flashback-trojan.html)

Devildog 08 April 2012 09:15 PM

Mine's clean.

But then I run AV software on the imac anyway and always have..

corradoboy 10 April 2012 11:11 AM

Forgot I even had Little Snitch, might have saved my bacon :D

jonc 10 April 2012 02:11 PM

Apple still continues to perpetuate the myth that OSX is secure from malware. You'd expect them to change their tune a bit in light of the mass infection of the Flashback trojan.

"With virtually no effort on your part, OS X offers a multilayered system of defenses against viruses and other malicious applications, or malware."

"OS X contains powerful defenses to help keep your Mac safe from PC viruses and other malware without the hassle of constant alerts and sweeps."

JackClark 10 April 2012 02:12 PM

That is true though. Mac's don't ship with Java, you install Java you takes your chances.

jonc 10 April 2012 02:24 PM

Do you think Apple will perhaps change their strategy with regards to patching security vulnerabilities, ie let third parties, Sun in this case, provide the updates directly rather than have the updates vetted by Apple, which can be time consuming when patching vulnerabilities such as this is time critical.

Whilst you can say don't use Java, some people still require it and if not Java it could some other app in the future.

JackClark 10 April 2012 02:27 PM

Absolutely. Adobe do frequent updates for that other security nightmare Flash.

jonc 10 April 2012 03:44 PM

I guess soon we'll see a plethora of AntiVirus/AntiMalware products for OSX and what with security updates now handled by third parties, OSX is becoming more Windows like everyday! :lol1:

JackClark 10 April 2012 03:49 PM

There are already a plethora of Antivirus products for Mac. Virex was the first I used back in the early 90's.

ramdor 10 April 2012 05:47 PM

did this thing install and do its thing without asking for a password? Now I dont know about you, but if I went to some website, and an installer just 'popped up' asking for admin password, then it is hardly surprising the machine gets infected.

OSX is fairly secure until someone gives something admin privs imo.

Infection

Only after downloading the payload does Flashback.I proceed with infecting the machine. To do so, the malware prompts for the administrator password, as in the following screenshot:
Richie.

JackClark 10 April 2012 06:34 PM

Pretty sure I read that it didn't ask for the Admin password. Anyhow, users are silly, they'll click yes to anything. Back in the day there was a Word Macro virus called 'Polite' it asked if you minded being infected Yes or No, plenty of people clicked Yes.

jonc 14 April 2012 12:36 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17700824

Better than never. :thumb:

Ant 14 April 2012 07:13 AM

Avast now doing free av for the mac

JackClark 14 April 2012 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 10577253)

Much better than never, Apple have taken a bold step by not only detecting and removing the mess made by Java they've added code that disables it if you don't use it. That's never been seen before and is something Microsoft could learn from. We're all a lot safer now.

TonyBurns 14 April 2012 09:21 AM

My windows machine asks me if I wish to remove unused program's, apple could learn from this ;)

jonc 14 April 2012 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 10577432)
Much better than never, Apple have taken a bold step by not only detecting and removing the mess made by Java they've added code that disables it if you don't use it. That's never been seen before and is something Microsoft could learn from. We're all a lot safer now.

The mess was already fixed by Oracle 8 weeks beforehand and patched on Windows almost immediately. Apple let the mess happen by not releasing a patch to fix the vulnerability until too late. Microsoft allow third parties to patch vulnerabilities in their products quickly, something that Apple could learn from! We were safer 8 weeks ago.

JackClark 14 April 2012 09:44 AM

You're not safer though are you Jon, your machine just has a huge leaking elastoplast stuck on it.

Apple don't ship machines with Flash nor Java and have taken that a step further by disabling Java if you happen to install it and don't use it. That's a good effort and rather than your usual picky, picky attitude you'd be better off applauding them and encouraging your beloved Microsoft to do the same.

JackClark 14 April 2012 10:04 AM

Can anyone tell me where I could visit to become infected by this trojan? It must be a pretty popular website/sites in order to infect 1 in 100 Mac computers! The only source of the infection numbers comes from an Antivirus company and there's no mention of a source of infection. Anyone here infected? Way too suspect for me, Antivirus companies are full of Hype, I know I created a load of it and sold a load of software.

jonc 14 April 2012 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 10577461)
You're not safer though are you Jon, your machine just has a huge leaking elastoplast stuck on it.

Apple don't ship machines with Flash nor Java and have taken that a step further by disabling Java if you happen to install it and don't use it. That's a good effort and rather than your usual picky, picky attitude you'd be better off applauding them and encouraging your beloved Microsoft to do the same.

Microsoft have never shipped Windows with Flash or Java, ever, unlike Apple with OSX. Like it or not security by obscurity is becoming less of an option for Apple. Not being picky, just stating fact, but okay, I applaud Apple to becoming more Windows like.

JackClark 14 April 2012 10:40 AM

Do you believe that obscurity is the only reason OSX is far more secure than Windows?

Scooby Soon! 14 April 2012 12:26 PM

all clear here on my imac and macbook pro

TonyBurns 14 April 2012 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 10577547)
Do you believe that obscurity is the only reason OSX is far more secure than Windows?

I'd say in a way it was, the same with Linux and Ubuntu, you dont really see any viruses/malware on those, but if they became more popular then you probably would.

Tony:)

JackClark 14 April 2012 04:56 PM

Comparing Windows to a Unix based system and concluding that the only reason Windows has more viruses is it's popular is crazy talk. But then that's what I'd expect from both of you.

jonc 14 April 2012 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 10577547)

No. I don't believe that OSX is any more secure than the latest version of Windows, and it's not just me either and the recent mass infection proves this point.

IF YOU BELIEVE Apple's marketing then you would think that the expensive fruity machines are more secure than PCs.

After all, most of the viruses out there are designed for the PC and Apple users hardly suffer from the problem. But this line of reasoning does not influence corporate IT managers who, were it true, would be trying to stave off hackers by installing shedloads of Apple gear.

However that's not the case. Most tell us that even if Apple gear was half the price it's just security by obscurity. A determined hacker who wanted to get into corporate systems would be though it like a knife through butter.

Tyler Reguly, a senior security research engineer with Ncircle told the newnewinternet that if you take a look at the two platforms, and the mindsets of the companies behind them, then the Windows PC wins hands down. He said that the Mac ships with more exploitable vulnerabilities already on a system when it is delivered. Further, Eric Johanson, a security researcher pointed out that the Mac OS X has far more published vulnerabilities per user than Windows.

However Apple is also actually more insecure because of the attitude of its customers. A computer's security, if it exists, is only as good as the user. Unfortunately in the case of the Mac the user is a smug, technologically illiterate person who believes they are invulnerable because they use a Mac. Such people randomly press buttons, visit sites that sensible people don't and download things carelessly because Apple's marketing tells them they are safe.

A recent Eset survey last year showed that when Apple users fell for phishing crime they tended to lose a lot more cash than a Windows PC user. The cynic in me thinks that if you spend a third more than you need to for your PC and think that the Ipad is a pretty neat idea then you are exactly the sort of mark that a phishing campaign is designed to reach.

The Eset survey said that the only safer Mac user was one who used both a Windows PC and an Apple Mac because they tended to be a bit more clever than your average fanboy.

Another reason why Apple PCs are so insecure is that it is incredibly slow at responding to news that flaws exist in its software. Microsoft has long ago realised that sitting on vulnerabilities without patching them is dead stupid. Most patches from Microsoft arrive comparatively quickly.

The cappuccino company's mindset, however, while reinforcing the myth of indestructibility of OS X, means that Apple users will be exposed much longer than Microsoft. A hacker can go to the web and find a list of vulnerabilities which are months old and be secure in the knowledge that they are less likely to be patched.

Unfortunately for Apple this philosophy is fast coming unstuck following the success of the Iphone. The gizmo is popular enough to become a target of hackers and malware distributors. It also can be used to store data worth stealing.

Alas for most Apple users, Jobs Mob is more keen on working out ways to stop people jailbreaking its Iphone than it is on protecting them from malware on the gear. However the Iphone is a toy computer and has all the vulnerabilities of a computer.

So what will it take for Apple to pull its socks up? One enterprising malware writer to pen an interesting bit of code that installs itself on a Mac, sniffs address books for friends with other Macs and works out the way to distribute itself to them too. It is not a huge technology challenge and when it is designed then Macs will fall over all over the world.

Only when this happens will Apple reach the same epiphany that Microsoft did over security and follow the Vole into more secure computing.
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...secure-windows

JackClark 14 April 2012 05:33 PM

Is that from the Beano?

jonc 14 April 2012 06:03 PM

What is it that you find hard to believe? The article has made some very valid points, has it not?

JackClark 14 April 2012 06:24 PM

No it hasn't at all. Go off and read up on security for ten tears then come back with your own arguments.

jonc 14 April 2012 06:31 PM

No need, the article pretty much echo's what I've said in the past. Flashback pretty much proves that Macs are not as secure as Apple have lead you and many others to believe.

JackClark 14 April 2012 06:43 PM

You've certainly stated the obvious in the past and Apple don't lead me to believe anything.

jonc 14 April 2012 07:14 PM

If you say I state the obvious of what I've said about Macs, then I'll take that as an admission on your part. :thumb:

JackClark 14 April 2012 07:52 PM

OK I admit it, you're an annoying **** stirrer.