ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Good luck to the Olympic Team! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/944507-good-luck-to-the-olympic-team.html)

David Lock 28 July 2012 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Chip (Post 10727207)
A brilliant show, well done London.

Ashamed at four Welsh football plyers refusing to sing the National anthem though. Disgraceful.

It's the drugs they are on. Makes them forget the words :Whatever_

d

jef 28 July 2012 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chip (Post 10727207)
A brilliant show, well done London.

Ashamed at four Welsh football plyers refusing to sing the National anthem though. Disgraceful.

hardly imo.

why must they sing a song to represent there nation in a sporting competition?

they retain the right to feeling part of there united kingdom, whilst being proudly part of there area of the british isles.

hardly a reason to start blabbing over imo if some people dont want to sing a song really, no?

Turbohot 28 July 2012 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by jef (Post 10727369)
hardly imo.

why must they sing a song to represent there nation in a sporting competition?

they retain the right to feeling part of there united kingdom, whilst being proudly part of there area of the british isles.

hardly a reason to start blabbing over imo if some people dont want to sing a song really, no?

As they retain their right to feeling part of their United Kingdom, whilst being proudly part of their area of the British Isles, it wouldn't have hurt them to follow the tradition of singing the National Anthem in an international sporting competition. IMO they should have risen above their obstinacy of keeping up with their separate identity, and displayed unity and solidarity in favour of the United Kingdom by singing it.

RobsyUK 28 July 2012 10:25 PM

EVERY athlete & everyone in the country should know and respect the anthem in my opinion. You should be proud to be British even though it's like a toilet.

The sooner they make people sing it back in school the better.

No golds so far!

joz8968 28 July 2012 10:34 PM

NO medals so far - let alone any golds. :(

But hey, still 15 days left...

Chip 28 July 2012 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Turbohot (Post 10727491)
As they retain their right to feeling part of their United Kingdom, whilst being proudly part of their area of the British Isles, it wouldn't have hurt them to follow the tradition of singing the National Anthem in an international sporting competition. IMO they should have risen above their obstinacy of keeping up with their separate identity, and displayed unity and solidarity in favour of the United Kingdom by singing it.

Exactly!

jef 28 July 2012 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Turbohot (Post 10727491)

why do you think that? if its not there national anthem?

Chip 28 July 2012 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by jef (Post 10727549)

The words United and Kingdom maybe.

Turbohot 28 July 2012 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by jef (Post 10727549)

Wales is a part of the United Kingdom. That is why.

jef 28 July 2012 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chip (Post 10727558)
The words United and Kingdom maybe.

what about its not there national anthem?

would you stand up and sing someones elses national anthem?

they still represent the nation they have been selected to, if the fact they didnt sing the anthem would it put selectors off and thought it impaired on there performance then they wouldnt select them?

DYK 28 July 2012 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 10727257)
It's the drugs they are on. Makes them forget the words :Whatever_

d

:lol::lol:

Well i'm back from the pub,might put the grill on and some Welsh Rabbit...:)

scud8 28 July 2012 11:17 PM

Maybe we need to ask why some English sports team continue to use the British national anthem as if it was the English national anthem (which it isn't). Some sports (cricket for one) have changed to use Jerusalem, so why don't they all change?

albob 28 July 2012 11:46 PM

"...would you stand up and sing someones elses national anthem?.."

if that is the case - then why are the playing for someone elses team ??

they are playing for Great Britian - and the national anthem of GB is GSTQ

In my opinion, it is not about anthems - it is about being part of a team - i.e. all singing/playing as one

I would drop any player who was not prepared to sing the anthem (whatever the words.....) with his team-mates

JTaylor 29 July 2012 08:25 AM

First medal today? :Suspiciou

joz8968 29 July 2012 08:49 AM

Let's damn well hope so JT.

Rebecca Addlington? Or Rebecca addling brain? ;)

dpb 29 July 2012 08:50 AM

God save the queen, is goddam dull tho :(

You gotta watch out for the chinkies ! That 16 yesterday was stupidly quick late on in the race

:Suspiciou

DYK 29 July 2012 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 10727762)
First medal today? :Suspiciou

We need to get something,the women's football team were enjoyable to watch...
cycling was a balls up..

dpb 29 July 2012 09:01 AM

Hope she doesn't come up against a chinkie !

JTaylor 29 July 2012 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by DYK (Post 10727790)
We need to get something,the women's football team were enjoyable to watch...
cycling was a balls up..

The second goal (I think; the one with the back-heel) was very good. Well crafted. The Brazil game will be the first women's match I've made a point of watching! :lol1:

joz8968 29 July 2012 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 10727794)
Hope she doesn't come up against a chinkie !

David Brent: "Oooh. That's racist."

:D

JTaylor 29 July 2012 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 10727797)
David Brent: "Oooh. That's racist."

:D

I got a bollocking on here years ago for calling the local Chinese takeaway the 'chinky'. It'd been called that since the time of the Ark and I was really taken aback by it. Even Chinese people call it that! Anyway, they appear to have become über-swimmers! They'll be ahead of the Aussies, sorry, Australians soon.

DYK 29 July 2012 09:12 AM

Steph Houghton goal was great,she's a bit of a looker too. :norty:

JTaylor 29 July 2012 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by DYK (Post 10727808)
Steph Houghton goal was great,she's a bit of a looker too. :norty:

Pics.

DYK 29 July 2012 09:22 AM

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...14_306x423.jpg

But not as hot as this minx,Rachel unitt :norty:
http://olympicgirls.net/sport-girls/...re-500x833.jpg

DYK 29 July 2012 09:24 AM

Check out this sexy minx :)

Alex Morgan plays footie in the USA..

http://www.wallpaperss.com/wp-conten...gan-Soccer.jpg

JTaylor 29 July 2012 09:36 AM

Lol @ DYK. You don't take much encouragement do you, Son! :lol1:

joz8968 29 July 2012 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 10727804)
I got a bollocking on here years ago for calling the local Chinese takeaway the 'chinky'. It'd been called that since the time of the Ark and I was really taken aback by it. Even Chinese people call it that!

A victim of the the Judge Dredd-esque SN Police. A lot of that goes on, here.

I got hauled over the coals for using 'half-caste'. I was told in no uncertain terms I should have used mixed race. When I used that word, it didn't even enter my head that it could be deemed un-PC - I had no idea that, "you can't use that word anymore". :rolleyes:

Chinkie is a word that's been around since I was a a toddler. When one uses it, don't think nothing of it. IMO, it's infused with a kind of 'endearment', rather than any 'hatred'. But I suppose it's whether who it's directed 'at' is insulted by it or not which 'matters' at the end of the day.

As in your case, what makes me angry when so called 'un-PC' words are used, is when pious people start getting upset on behalf! :Suspiciou of the 'victim'. WTF. :rolleyes: :mad:

JTaylor 29 July 2012 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 10727842)
A victim of the the Judge Dredd-esque SN Police. A lot of that goes on, here.

I got hauled over the coals for using 'half-caste'. I was told in no uncertain terms I should have used mixed race. When I used that word, it didn't even enter my head that it could be deemed un-PC - I had no idea that, "you can't use that word anymore". :rolleyes:

Chinkie is a word that's been around since I was a a toddler. When one uses it, don't think nothing of it. IMO, it's infused with a kind of 'endearment', rather than any 'hatred'. But I suppose it's whether who it's directed 'at' is insulted by it or not which 'matters' at the end of the day.

As in your case, what makes me angry when so called 'un-PC' words are used, is when pious people start getting upset on behalf! :Suspiciou of the 'victim'. WTF. :rolleyes: :mad:

Oh well, let's get back to sexually objectifying sports women. :thumb:

DYK 29 July 2012 09:45 AM

Mixed race lol

Sounds like the name for a stir fry....

f1_fan 29 July 2012 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 10727779)
God save the queen, is goddam dull tho :(

Yes I have got to say that both Pretty Vacant and Anarchy in the UK were better tracks :lol1: