ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Group Buys (https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys-356/)
-   -   exhaust wrap...? (https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys-356/351512-exhaust-wrap.html)

DubaiNeil 19 August 2004 01:02 PM

Cheers Andy, I have ordered today:

2 x 2" x 50ft wrap to cover Gruppe-S V2 header + flexi up-pipe (not the flexi bit though!)
1 x spray paint (silver)
10ft + 10 clips of snap straps (calculated from the header design)
Cool tube to cover the FMIC intake pipe (APS one fitted)
Cool tube to cover the air-con pipe in the engine bay (cos it gets rather warm here!)
Thermo-shield tape (because I will probably find other things to wrap later!)

Thanks for sorting this GB.

The opinion I read, from the original Gruppe-S buyers (the ones who had all the problems with the flanges) was that 2 x 2" x 50ft was the requirement.

As I haven't ordered the headers yet I can't comment though!

Neil

AlanG 19 August 2004 01:04 PM

One thing to think about is how much overlap you use when you wrap the headers. It will go a lot further if you give it very little overlap!! but i'm only erring on the side of caution.
You can bet your bottom dollar it will start to come apart at some point in the future (if you keep your car as long as i have!!), so won't go to waste IMO.

PICKLE 19 August 2004 01:06 PM

How have you guys ordered?? By phone, or website??
Will they definitely know about the Group Buy and honour the 20% discount if I mention your name Andy??

DubaiNeil 19 August 2004 01:24 PM

Pickle,

I ordered via the web-site. There is an area on the order form for 'additional comments' where you state that this is part of the 'Andy Scoobynet group buy' (as well as anything else you want to say - just be polite ;))

Wendy told me that they will calculate the final amount and charge this to the CC.

I included a note stating how much I expected to pay including shipping, so there should be no confusion.

Peanuts 19 August 2004 01:55 PM

apparently the phone has been on fire since the 20% was offered!

I have ordered a rake of gear in the end because as AlanG said, it wont be wasted

Peanuts 19 August 2004 01:58 PM

sorry, additional....

when I called just now she calculated the prices based on the 20% and reduced carriage anyway because the intial response was excellent.
she confirmed my cc bill and after I checked it was 20% discount and reduced carriage.
exactly what it said on the tin.

Wendy also said they were now doing tools, and that there would be a continuing discount on any products ordered through the catalogue they are sending out with each order!

which was nice :cool:

Peanuts 19 August 2004 04:58 PM

lets hope the other 17 come up trumps to warrant the discount we're given...

chrome 19 August 2004 05:58 PM

fwiw you can get 0.8 guage lockwire from Demon Tweeks for a song too...
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/catalo...30&from=search
sure it can be had cheaper.. makes a good 'backup' to the 'snap strap' that AM sell..

will be ordering my AM goodies tomorrow morning.
Cheers Andy :)

911 19 August 2004 06:07 PM

Snap, thanks to all the effort. We appreciate it!
911 :norty:

AlanG 19 August 2004 06:43 PM

Drop your name on the list of those that have ordered through group buy:

1) AlanG:
2) Peanuts
3) DubaiNeil

craig5 19 August 2004 07:42 PM

i'm going to order tomorrow all i want to do is my downpipe is the wrap sticky or do i need anything to hold it on and will i benefit from buying the paint and if i buy the paint what goes on first the wrap or paint thank's

911 19 August 2004 08:16 PM

Andy/everyone, just confirming I've ordered tonight my bits.
911 :norty:

AlanG 19 August 2004 10:15 PM

Wrap isn't sticky.
The stuff i used the last time i held at both ends with the snapstrap stuff and worked well. What i didn't know at the time was that i should have wetted the wrap before fitting so that it was nice and tight on the pipework when it dried out.

The paint i've never used before but i'm led to believe this should make the wrap stay supple for a longer period of time.

When i took the last wrap off the manifold it basically crumbled apart in my hands like dried out leaves...

AlanG 19 August 2004 10:16 PM

Drop your name on the list for those that have ordered through group buy please:

1) AlanG:
2) Peanuts
3) DubaiNeil
4) 911

chrome 19 August 2004 10:39 PM

paint bonds the fibres together also and protects against extreme hot/cold damage.. IIRC ;)

ST AYE 19 August 2004 11:20 PM

Will order tomorrow
Bear in mind that painting reduces insulation properties of the wrap!

chrome 20 August 2004 12:28 AM

since when?

Peanuts 20 August 2004 08:56 AM

painting iirc, acts a a proptection for the wrap also when subjected to cold/wet.
if you pick up a hot tray from the oven with oven gloves on, no problem.
if you wet the oven gloves first they burn like a bastid.

I have ordered, wrap, straps and paint

Peanuts 20 August 2004 08:58 AM

the other thing to remember is that Wendy is going to keep this discount going for scoobynet, so in future its always worth ringing Wendy for a price on products they stock.

craig5 20 August 2004 09:22 AM

how much wrap will i need for just a downpipe and how many straps,peanut pm me you're address so i can send switch i've got the other switch working now

loscooby 20 August 2004 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by craig5
how much wrap will i need for just a downpipe and how many straps,peanut pm me you're address so i can send switch i've got the other switch working now

Is it possible to join the gb and have the things shipped to Germany(addition delivery charges ofcourse)?

I too would be interested on what I need to wrap my downpipe and the amount of straps needed?

regards,
L-O

ST AYE 20 August 2004 10:16 AM

Since the paint soaks into the wrap and conducts heat more efficiently than the wrap.

craig5 20 August 2004 10:36 AM

just put my order in
1) AlanG:
2) Peanuts
3) DubaiNeil
4) 911
5) craig5

PICKLE 20 August 2004 11:03 AM

I'm holding out, as looking at an alternative (cheaper option for what I want).
Will let you know if I do order from Wendy tho.
Cheers

TelBoy 20 August 2004 11:52 AM

1) AlanG:
2) Peanuts
3) DubaiNeil
4) 911
5) craig5
6) TelBoy

2 x 50" lengths, in black (extra £7), 20 clippy things, no paint - £111.00 incl. vat.

This had *better* work!!! :Suspiciou :D

All i need now are my headers.

Eh, chrome???? ;) :p

Peanuts 20 August 2004 12:09 PM

Tel,
oh, it *will*
:norty:

willy 20 August 2004 12:17 PM

i`ll ask the question too.
What amount is needed to cover a downpipe?

Willy

chrome 20 August 2004 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by ST AYE
Since the paint soaks into the wrap and conducts heat more efficiently than the wrap.

NASCAR etc may disagree..

the paint stops heat escaping keeping those EGT's high for decent power IIRC..
each to their own I guess..

ST AYE 20 August 2004 12:44 PM

Its all about thermal conductivity. The paint reduces the insulative properties of the wrap, this increases heat loss through the wrap, reducing egt's, and consequently reducing speed of gas flow.
I would be very interested in a spray on paint which has a lower thermal conductivity than exhaust wrap, it is after all much easier to apply ;) .

Originally Posted by chrome
NASCAR etc may disagree..

the paint stops heat escaping keeping those EGT's high for decent power IIRC..
each to their own I guess..

Tone Loc 20 August 2004 01:25 PM

I would agree with what you are saying ST AYE if the paint replaced some of the exhuast wrap mass. It does not. The paint should form an additional layer on top of the wrap and not soak in. So what you should have is a layer of wrap and a small layer of paint..... thus decreasing the overall thermal conductivity of the material.

I'm open to be proven wrong as i have heard before that paint reduces the effectiveness.

Tony.