ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Apple iPad - Stunning. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/820553-apple-ipad-stunning.html)

Snazy 09 March 2010 07:18 PM

Im curious, and have to ask. IF... its Orange's fault for having a poor iSignal in the area, why is the iPhone rebooting? Or is it possible that the 2 are unrelated and coincidental?

I have to say, if the signal is good for one highstreet handset it should surely be good for all? Thats not a carriers fault surely?

A review I was just having a look at does mention "tight spots" being problematic for the 3G signal

STi wanna Subaru 09 March 2010 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by SwissTony (Post 9275075)
Adobe reader is simply a pdf reader, where is the flash element ??
Unless the files have flash content in them ??

We have produced instructional videos and included 3D assemblies showing the products in our latest manuals. They use flash which adobe acquired I believe? I may be wrong but that's what the IT fella told me.

Basic PDF = fine

Media rich PDF = Err err X

Luan Pra bang 09 March 2010 07:25 PM

Its not just me who finds using apple stuff irritating then.
Every apple device I have ever tried has irritated the tits off me. I can only assume that the masterful branding makes its fans oblivious to all the flaws in apple products. The two ipods I got for work were a complete waste of money but mercifuly broke after not too long so saved me a world of pain of having to use them. The I pad is what exactly ? Can it play Mp3 Wma as well as AAC ? or is it another device that only works properly with apple formats bought in apple shops etc ? Also if you want to use a lap top in bed can't you just plug a lap top into your TV and get a wireless keyboard and mouse ?

JackClark 09 March 2010 07:33 PM

Oh my, they're joining in droves now, see an Apple thread and just have to have a bash, go back to the Playstation threads with your calls of Fanboy and everything's poo attitude.

Anti-Fanboy's who knew!

You won't be putting me off, I've spent all day after an overnight flight fighting with an Asus EeeTop. It's good but I'd rather have got some kip.

Luan Pra bang 09 March 2010 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 9275140)
Oh my, they're joining in droves now, see an Apple thread and just have to have a bash, go back to the Playstation threads with your calls of Fanboy and everything's poo attitude.

Anti-Fanboy's who knew!

You won't be putting me off, I've spent all day after an overnight flight fighting with an Asus EeeTop. It's good but I'd rather have got some kip.

Your fanatical love for apple is somewhat disturbing. It seems we genuinly do live in a society where corporate branding is the new religion.

SwissTony 09 March 2010 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru (Post 9275108)
We have produced instructional videos and included 3D assemblies showing the products in our latest manuals. They use flash which adobe acquired I believe? I may be wrong but that's what the IT fella told me.

Basic PDF = fine

Media rich PDF = Err err X

Ah that is where it all goes wrong for you. A shame as SVG or HTML5 may be viable alternatives however it would mean porting over the content.

And yes, your techy was right. Macromedia owned it and then Adobe bought Macromedia

f1_fan 09 March 2010 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Snazy (Post 9275095)
Im curious, and have to ask. IF... its Orange's fault for having a poor iSignal in the area, why is the iPhone rebooting? Or is it possible that the 2 are unrelated and coincidental?

I have to say, if the signal is good for one highstreet handset it should surely be good for all? Thats not a carriers fault surely?

A review I was just having a look at does mention "tight spots" being problematic for the 3G signal

You're wasting your time. You can't reason with a fanatic. Basic logic goes right out of the window. :cuckoo:

JackClark 09 March 2010 08:39 PM

HP Offers iPad Alternative -- InformationWeek

Click through the Flash advertisement to get to the article.

J4CKO 09 March 2010 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru (Post 9274941)
I've found a great use for the ipad! I thought I need device that the guys ont he shop floor can use to access our fabrication manuals providing a personal place to access all the files they need. They will have access to videos, 3d drawings the lot all in one easy accessible touchscreen device.....

I mentioned this to our IT guy and he asked what software it would need. Adobe Reader I say! That's it perfect aint it!

Errrr NO! iPad doesn't do Flash apparently......

Back to the drawing board... sorry Flash enabled PC.

Shop floor, delicate and valuable Apple product, hmm, I would give it a week before it got dropped, stolen or used as a hammer.

Luan Pra bang 09 March 2010 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang (Post 9275159)
Your fanatical love for apple is somewhat disturbing. It seems we genuinely do live in a society where corporate branding is the new religion.

This link seems to reinforce my point.

Apple Fancouple Get Married at Apple Store

Snazy 09 March 2010 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 9275352)
HP Offers iPad Alternative -- InformationWeek

Click through the Flash advertisement to get to the article.

Quite a nice Flash advert that I thought :)

Wierd thing is in the picture it says "HP and Microsoft unveiled the yet-to-be-named slate at CES in January." Which was 2 months ago... so how old is the story. It sure aint new.

JackClark 09 March 2010 10:34 PM

If you'd only made it to the bottom of the article.

"indeed, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer demonstrated a prototype HP tablet powered by Windows 7 in January at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, and promised that more such products are in the works."

Looks familiar.

Snazy 10 March 2010 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 9275814)
If you'd only made it to the bottom of the article.

"indeed, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer demonstrated a prototype HP tablet powered by Windows 7 in January at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, and promised that more such products are in the works."

Looks familiar.

Im lost, what does it look familiar to ? :wonder:

JackClark 10 March 2010 05:34 PM

You're a wind up merchant Sausage Fingers.

http://i.cmpnet.com/infoweek/galleri...atePC_full.jpg

Snazy 10 March 2010 08:34 PM

lol, oooooooooooooooooh, you mean the iPad looks the same as the MS one, well naturally, was only to be expected.

subaruturbo_18 10 March 2010 09:05 PM

I have to say, tablets and other devices have been around for years, but apple have done well creating hype about it. Especially when it does not seem as usable as a normal mac OS, in comparison to a tablet which has the same operating system as a PC.

It does look good though, and although i could probably make use of the iPad, i don't think I'd use it since i have a laptop.

Neanderthal 11 March 2010 08:13 AM

Windows 7 comes with inbuilt support for touch screen monitors so it's obvious MS will try and jump on the back of the iPad hype.
Will anyone be able to do it as well as Applle though? their touch screen on the iPhone is still unrivaled, even after all these years it's been out. HTC are getting there but you just know that by the time they do Apple will be ready with something better.

darts_aint_sport 11 March 2010 12:21 PM

Apple have to be the most arrogant tech company around...

Apple Store madness.

GOD I HATE THEM!

SwissTony 11 March 2010 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by darts_aint_sport (Post 9278599)
Apple have to be the most arrogant tech company around...

Apple Store madness.

GOD I HATE THEM!

Why think they are arrogrant when they would rather pay the fine then have ugly signs in their windows ???

BT have worked out it is cheaper to have a whole dept that just pays the clamping fees and pound charges for their vehicles than get their drivers to park properly and use car parks. Why ? Because the time lost by parking far outweighs the cost of the fines. Simply maths.

darts_aint_sport 11 March 2010 12:56 PM

Because No-Smoking signs are primarily about public health, and not about looking nice.

SwissTony 11 March 2010 01:02 PM

Like having no smoking signs was ever to do with public health ???
Complete load of tosh dreamt up by some whitehall nonce. When was the last time you were allowed to smoke inside a shop in the UK ?? well before the smoking ban was imposed in pubs etc.

darts_aint_sport 11 March 2010 01:06 PM

Due to the selfishness of smokers generally I can perfectly-well see the need for these signs. And what purpose does it serve Apple to not display them? None at all, it makes the store look nice apparently, which lets be honest is all Apple is about.

SwissTony 11 March 2010 01:19 PM

dont worry, they are going for this one instead :D

http://www.movingcars.com.au/amusing/SillySigns.jpg

hutton_d 16 March 2010 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 9271409)

Jack - I've found your iPad .... The $20K iPad ? The Register ... :thumb:

Dave

JackClark 16 March 2010 12:25 AM

Bit too girly and way out of my price range. Looks nice though and as we've been told that's all Apple is about.

Trout 16 March 2010 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang (Post 9275112)
Its not just me who finds using apple stuff irritating then.
Every apple device I have ever tried has irritated the tits off me. I can only assume that the masterful branding makes its fans oblivious to all the flaws in apple products. The two ipods I got for work were a complete waste of money but mercifuly broke after not too long so saved me a world of pain of having to use them. The I pad is what exactly ? Can it play Mp3 Wma as well as AAC ? or is it another device that only works properly with apple formats bought in apple shops etc ? Also if you want to use a lap top in bed can't you just plug a lap top into your TV and get a wireless keyboard and mouse ?

What a totally daft post!! When someone finds learning to be a systems programmer to get Windows to do anything, or moans about having to buy every little bit of software needed it makes us a brand fanboy.

Get a grip man. To me Windows is horrid - but I don't go all weepy at the thought it is just not for me and I use something else.

Just for reference I haven't had a single Apple product that has broken over the last five years or so of use. And they all seem pretty straightforward to me. And the only time I did fall out with it it turned out to be a non-Apple related hardware failure.

Oh, and the fact you hate Apple kind of makes me feel all warm inside ;)

Trout 16 March 2010 12:29 AM

Just wondering the last time I saw someone light up inside an Apple store, or any store for that matter!

Anyway they don't need no-smoking signs as you can have this instead

Widget

JackClark 16 March 2010 12:34 AM

Apple products just look nice. Not according to this report out today.

IT pros: Macs cost less to manage than PCs

Trout 16 March 2010 12:40 AM

And Talk Talk have just signed up a deal to replace all desktops with Macbook Pros :)

Trout 16 March 2010 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang (Post 9275159)
My fanatical hatred for apple is somewhat disturbing. It seems we genuinly do live in a society where corporate branding is the new religion.

EFA