ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Good luck to the Olympic Team! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/944507-good-luck-to-the-olympic-team.html)

JTaylor 29 July 2012 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 10727847)
Yes I have got to say that both Pretty Vacant and Anarchy in the UK were better tracks :lol1:

I thought playing a 'Pistols track at the ceremony was genius!

joz8968 29 July 2012 09:51 AM

Yeah enough of this banal racial bigotry..... let's get back to the casual misogyny! :D

joz8968 29 July 2012 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 10727852)
I thought playing a 'Pistols track at the ceremony was genius!

+1

In front of The Queen too!

I wonder if Boyle had to get it vetted by the palace, before deciding on it?

CrisPDuk 29 July 2012 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 10727779)
God save the queen, is goddam dull tho :(

Several of our monarchs (including the current one) are known to have agreed with you :)

hodgy0_2 29 July 2012 10:30 AM

It is a awful anthem, we should start a war with the French and nick theirs, it is much much better

JTaylor 29 July 2012 10:46 AM

I like our national anthem, but I think that's more to do with familiarity and loyalty than anything else. Jerusalem's far better musically and artistically.

joz8968 29 July 2012 10:59 AM

Zadok the Priest - makes the hairs stand up.

jonc 29 July 2012 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 10727842)
A victim of the the Judge Dredd-esque SN Police. A lot of that goes on, here.

I got hauled over the coals for using 'half-caste'. I was told in no uncertain terms I should have used mixed race. When I used that word, it didn't even enter my head that it could be deemed un-PC - I had no idea that, "you can't use that word anymore". :rolleyes:

Chinkie is a word that's been around since I was a a toddler. When one uses it, don't think nothing of it. IMO, it's infused with a kind of 'endearment', rather than any 'hatred'. But I suppose it's whether who it's directed 'at' is insulted by it or not which 'matters' at the end of the day.

As in your case, what makes me angry when so called 'un-PC' words are used, is when pious people start getting upset on behalf! :Suspiciou of the 'victim'. WTF. :rolleyes: :mad:

I find the term quite offensive. I'm sure 'nigger' was used when you were a toddler, but it doesn't make it any more acceptable. Trust me it is definitely not considered endearing.

DYK 29 July 2012 11:12 AM

I think our national anthem needs spicing up,i sometimes cringe when its played,especially the start of it. :sleep:

hodgy0_2 29 July 2012 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 10727935)
Zadok the Priest - makes the hairs stand up.

My wife walked up the aisle to zadok the priest, wonderful piece of music

joz8968 29 July 2012 11:44 AM

As I said, it depends on what the 'victim' thinks.

I've only ever known it to be used in an endearing context - I've only ever used it in that context, put it that way (not that I've used it for ages). Never heard it used with a hateful connotation such as, "That ****ing chinky/chinkie". The phonetic of the word doesn't lend itself; in that same way as "You ****ing twit!" lacks meaningful hatred.

But obviously I accept that doesn't make it's use "okay".

Words' acceptance evolves. N****r was thought of no more offensive decades ago... but is now most defo not acceptable and is now highly offensive, due to changing times. As in the case of that word, it's whether the 'victims' claim the word as promoting hatred/intolerance/disresepct towards them and therefore its perception/acceptance. Which is totally fair enough, of course.

But I guess chinkie has now reached said era.

If chinkie is to be lumped in too, then may I also suggest monikers such as, honky, jock, taff, mick, limey, pom, yank, frog, dago, eye-tye, etc...? What's the difference?

There will always be slang words to refer to ALL peoples from different countries (and not just used by the western or so called developed ones). It's just a case if they end up being considered unacceptable due to cultural shifts......

Turbohot 29 July 2012 11:56 AM

Anyway, Men's Lightweight Double Sculls was strong for Britain. My arms would fall off and me legs would seize doing that. :( Hats off to the guys. :cool:

joz8968 29 July 2012 11:57 AM

Anyway, this is a topic for a another thread. I apologise for perpetuating it, myself.

Let's get back on topic and stop the spamming of JT's thread.... :)

joz8968 29 July 2012 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 10727981)
My wife walked up the aisle to zadok the priest, wonderful piece of music

I bet it was amazing and emotional? :)

Not a dry eye in the church?

joz8968 29 July 2012 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by DYK (Post 10727959)
I think our national anthem needs spicing up,i sometimes cringe when its played,especially the start of it. :sleep:

We should claim Shaggy's #Mr Boombastic...# for our NA. :lol1:

dpb 29 July 2012 03:21 PM

Silver medal coming up :thumb:

Dirk Diggler 75 29 July 2012 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 10728257)
Silver medal coming up :thumb:

Correct ..........:)

dpb 29 July 2012 03:37 PM

Damn thought it was gold for a second

DYK 29 July 2012 03:44 PM

Watched it from start to finish,very good still think Armitstead should of made a break a bit sooner in the last few hundred metres,but that Vos is a strong rider...

JTaylor 29 July 2012 03:50 PM

Well done, Lizzie! :luxhello:

Leslie 29 July 2012 05:22 PM

Despite what I said before about the cost of the opening ceremony, I have in all honesty to say how good I thought it was. Danny Boyle and all those who took part deserve all the praise for such an outstanding production. It was very cleverly done and the industrial revolution part was incredible, I still can't imagine how they made those chimneys appear like that.

I was pretty impressed at the Queen's part in the beginning and I bet she laughed her socks off when she was parachuted in! They do say that she has a very finely developed sense of humour.

The way in which the beacon was lit was quite brilliant, what a good way to do it without giving the job to some celebrity or other, using the young athletes was as good a way to do it as anyone could have thought up I reckon. It was good to see Steve Redgrave bring the torch to the arena entrance too.

The Torch relay and the opening ceremony have been a great success, it has got the whole country well and truly aware of the Olympics and how great an occasion it is going to be. I think the Olympic Ideal is very important, I wish all associated with the games the best of luck and I am looking forward to watching them.

Les

DYK 29 July 2012 05:38 PM

China is getting ridiculous,just won another gold on the diving boards.Those two Ukraine chicks had nice asses..:D

jonc 29 July 2012 05:57 PM

The event I've been waiting for, Women's Volleyball with Team GB....and the Canadians don't look too bad either...oh yes!

Dirk Diggler 75 29 July 2012 06:12 PM

Full house for the beach vollyball , i wonder why?.

JTaylor 29 July 2012 06:14 PM

Brollyball. And one of the Canadian birds has a 'tache. :mad:

joz8968 29 July 2012 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by DYK (Post 10728424)
...Those two Ukraine chicks had nice asses..:D

You can count on DYK. :lol1:

But I agree. The women's diving and beach vollyball busts one's nuts.

Too much! :o

JTaylor 29 July 2012 06:51 PM

Good game, this.

JTaylor 29 July 2012 06:53 PM

:luxhello:

hodgy0_2 29 July 2012 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 10728041)
I bet it was amazing and emotional? :)

Not a dry eye in the church?

yes, and at the most picturesque church in England - St Just in Roseland

not many brides get sailed from the church to the reception

anyway will be at the Beach Volley Ball next Thursday, although I think it is the Mens, still anything to keep the wife happy

DYK 29 July 2012 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 10728545)
You can count on DYK. :lol1:

But I agree. The women's diving and beach vollyball busts one's nuts.

Too much! :o

Yea but i quite enjoying watching the women's,seriously think so far they are doing a good job,the football,lizzie winning the silver today in the cycling,doing a cracking job.... and looking shexy :D