ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Is 60 miles around town good for £20 worth of v power (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1016406-is-60-miles-around-town-good-for-20-worth-of-v-power.html)

ditchmyster 08 December 2014 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by angel1368 (Post 11577371)
ive never had a go in an sti so cant comment on whats best etc but am i right in thinking my wrx will get to 60 quicker than the sti and is that a fact?

Sure is, and it will probably still be in front when you get to 80mph.;)

kevfawcett 08 December 2014 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyJim2 (Post 11577365)
The only thing i can think i havent got is the 6spd and dccd but not all sti have that anyway

AVCS heads?

scoobyJim2 08 December 2014 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by kevfawcett (Post 11577380)

AVCS heads?

This is true;you got me there ;)

fat-thomas 08 December 2014 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyJim2 (Post 11577385)
This is true;you got me there ;)

r180 rear diff
rear 316mm discs and brembo 2 pots
i/c water spray
sti stronger bottom end

scoobyJim2 08 December 2014 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by angel1368 (Post 11577371)
ive never had a go in an sti so cant comment on whats best etc but am i right in thinking my wrx will get to 60 quicker than the sti and is that a fact?

I couldn't even tell you which was faster,a standard wrx or standard sti and i don't even care to be honest,its only guys like thomas i banter with.but i know my modified wrx is a fast car.so much more than a standard wrx or sti

RS_Matt 08 December 2014 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyJim2 (Post 11577293)
Should mention my friends standard wrx blob,could be in 5th at 30mph without much drama. Its obviously depends on mods and set-up

It's strange tbh, some Subaru owners say it just can't be done (even those with shorter ratios) but my car is as happy as Larry at 30mph in 5th. Picks up reasonably well too without stutter. Obviously if I needed to increase speed fast I'd knock it down to 2nd.

scoobyJim2 08 December 2014 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by fat-thomas (Post 11577389)

r180 rear diff
rear 316mm discs and brembo 2 pots
i/c water spray
sti stronger bottom end

Dont need water spray on a fmic really.
I have a scdb and forged internals with drilled ground & balance crank,among other stuff.
Rear brake calipers don't require a change. I've only fitted one set of discs n pads to the rear since owning car,where I've been through a few front sets.
The diff i would consider being part of the 6spd set-up which i mentioned i dont want

RS_Matt 08 December 2014 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyJim2 (Post 11577391)
I couldn't even tell you which was faster,a standard wrx or standard sti and i don't even care to be honest,its only guys like thomas i banter with.but i know my modified wrx is a fast car.so much more than a standard wrx or sti

You saw the vid I posted of a well launched 348bhp STI running 13.9 and the WR1 racing it getting 15.1?

Well here's a 215bhp Bugeye WRX matching them -

The best Subaru made imo is the Blob WRX V-limited, it has a strong AVCS engine and STI styling and doesn't have the 6 speed and Brembos which in the real world kills acceleration dramatically.

I have an hard-on for the car in the foreground.

https://i164.photobucket.com/albums/...03v-lmt007.jpg

scoobyJim2 08 December 2014 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by RS_Matt (Post 11577392)

It's strange tbh, some Subaru owners say it just can't be done (even those with shorter ratios) but my car is as happy as Larry at 30mph in 5th. Picks up reasonably well too without stutter. Obviously if I needed to increase speed fast I'd knock it down to 2nd.

My friends car's like yours but my isn't as refined at all lol. Do you have many mods?

RS_Matt 08 December 2014 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyJim2 (Post 11577404)
My friends car's like yours but my isn't as refined at all lol. Do you have many mods?

Ecutek remap by Pat Herborn
STI 550 injectors
STI intercooler
TD05 16g Turbo
Blitz Nur spec backbox
Walbro 255l Fuel pump
NGK PFR7B plugs
JR Performance panel filter
Perrin Turbo intake hose
STI intercooler hose
Silicone Turbo/Actuator vac hoses
10w50 Millers CFS Nanodrive oil
Subaru Black oil filter
Decat centre section
Decat DEI wrapped ported up-pipe
Cobra Sport 3" Race cat downpipe
GFB adjustable bov
Perrin Lightweight crank pulley
Short shift gear lever
Motordrive 5kg FIA custom racing seats
Aircon removed
Alternator cover removed
Airbox resonator and intake removed
Front bumper bar removed
Horseshoe brace removed
Bonnet sound-proofing removed
Boot carpet/jack & tools/jack bracket/spare wheel & clamp removed
Rear seat sound proofing removed
Boot sound deadening half removed*
Fog lights and holding brackets removed
Boot light bracket removed
Roof handle & brackets removed
Driver foot rest removed
Roof strengthening plates removed
Radiator side brackets removed
Injector brackets removed
Ashtray lid and lighter removed
Polycarbonate battery clamp
Carbon fibre pillar covers
Rota GRA lightweight alloys
TPI lightweight tuner nuts
BC Racing BR coilovers
Superpro drop links
Whiteline 22mm rear anti-roll bar
STI boot spoiler
STI bonnet scoop
STI scoop undertray
STI strut brace
STI side skirts
Bremtech drilled & grooved disks
WRX PRO calipers
Goodridge Brake hoses
Mintex rear brake pads
5.1 Motul Brake Fluid
75-90 Millers diff oil

kevfawcett 08 December 2014 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by RS_Matt (Post 11577402)
The best Subaru made imo is the Blob WRX V-limited, it has a strong AVCS engine and STI styling and doesn't have the 6 speed and Brembos which in the real world kills acceleration dramatically.

Haha, you really have lost it. I'm going to love to see how you explain that one!?

Gear Head 08 December 2014 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11577370)

Nope I'd say your just a bit of an idiot that feels the need to make himself feel better at the expense of others, but the sad reality is that you end up making yourself look rather pathetic, but hey simple things please simple minds. :thumb:

He has almost taken the place of pslewis, but at the other end of the scale. :lol1:

fat-thomas 08 December 2014 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by kevfawcett (Post 11577417)
Haha, you really have lost it. I'm going to love to see how you explain that one!?

:lol1:

RS_Matt 08 December 2014 06:52 PM

Smaller lighter disks which have a large effect on rotational mass. It's the primary reason why I chose lightweight alloys.

RS_Matt 08 December 2014 06:54 PM

...and lightweight tuner nuts.

fat-thomas 08 December 2014 06:57 PM

they are bigger granted but this is due to them being better to stop the car with, the impreza is not a drag car after all its a performance road car and performance road cars need good brakes

RS_Matt 08 December 2014 07:08 PM

The WRX is about 20% faster than an STI due to weight, higher rotational mass, extra gear change and transmission losses.

Ergo as the power levels increase in both the more power an STI needs to keep up with the WRX.

Example 1: an STI will need around 360bhp to keep up with a 300bhp WRX
Example 2: An STI will need around 430bhp to keep up with a 360bhp WRX

Power levels beyond these are expensive for both and the cars will no longer be real world performers. Both will need forging and a strong 5 speed gearbox for both will be a good argument for chasing times.

fat-thomas 08 December 2014 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by RS_Matt (Post 11577448)
The WRX is about 20% faster than an STI due to weight, higher rotational mass, extra gear change and transmission losses.

Ergo as the power levels increase in both the more power an STI needs to keep up with the WRX.

Example 1: an STI will need around 360bhp to keep up with a 300bhp WRX
Example 2: An STI will need around 430bhp to keep up with a 360bhp WRX

Power levels beyond these are expensive for both and the cars will no longer be real world performers. Both will need forging and a strong 5 speed gearbox for both will be a good argument for chasing times.

mine did 12.8 with 260 bhp yours 12.6 with 330 bhp so yet again youre wrong :lol1:

RS_Matt 08 December 2014 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by fat-thomas (Post 11577434)
they are bigger granted but this is due to them being better to stop the car with, the impreza is not a drag car after all its a performance road car and performance road cars need good brakes

...and good traffic free roads.

Away from the track uprated pads, racing fluid and braided brake hoses are more than enough for a lighter WRX with less than 360bhp.

fat-thomas 08 December 2014 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by RS_Matt (Post 11577455)
...and good traffic free roads.

Away from the track uprated pads, racing fluid and braided brake hoses are more than enough for a lighter WRX with less than 360bhp.

if you drive like a girl yes the crappy 4 pots will stop you once or twice then overheat and fade away when faced with stopping a heavy old newage more than a few times.

Shaun 08 December 2014 07:17 PM

RS Matt,
Let's makes this a bit fairer.....

What's the weight of your vehicle and what has been your best time down the 1/4, and at what power level?

scoobyJim2 08 December 2014 07:19 PM

You saw the vid I posted of a well launched 348bhp STI running 13.9 and the WR1 racing it getting 15.1?

Video Link: http://youtu.be/ba1pVISMU6c

And that wrx sounds very standard lol

scoobyJim2 08 December 2014 07:20 PM

Video Link: http://youtu.be/ba1pVISMU6c

This is like what i said about putting a 5spd in a sti to make it quicker

scoobyJim2 08 December 2014 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by RS_Matt (Post 11577408)

Ecutek remap by Pat Herborn
STI 550 injectors
STI intercooler
TD05 16g Turbo
Blitz Nur spec backbox
Walbro 255l Fuel pump
NGK PFR7B plugs
JR Performance panel filter
Perrin Turbo intake hose
STI intercooler hose
Silicone Turbo/Actuator vac hoses
10w50 Millers CFS Nanodrive oil
Subaru Black oil filter
Decat centre section
Decat DEI wrapped ported up-pipe
Cobra Sport 3" Race cat downpipe
GFB adjustable bov
Perrin Lightweight crank pulley
Short shift gear lever
Motordrive 5kg FIA custom racing seats
Aircon removed
Alternator cover removed
Airbox resonator and intake removed
Front bumper bar removed
Horseshoe brace removed
Bonnet sound-proofing removed
Boot carpet/jack & tools/jack bracket/spare wheel & clamp removed
Rear seat sound proofing removed
Boot sound deadening half removed*
Fog lights and holding brackets removed
Boot light bracket removed
Roof handle & brackets removed
Driver foot rest removed
Roof strengthening plates removed
Radiator side brackets removed
Injector brackets removed
Ashtray lid and lighter removed
Polycarbonate battery clamp
Carbon fibre pillar covers
Rota GRA lightweight alloys
TPI lightweight tuner nuts
BC Racing BR coilovers
Superpro drop links
Whiteline 22mm rear anti-roll bar
STI boot spoiler
STI bonnet scoop
STI scoop undertray
STI strut brace
STI side skirts
Bremtech drilled & grooved disks
WRX PRO calipers
Goodridge Brake hoses
Mintex rear brake pads
5.1 Motul Brake Fluid
75-90 Millers diff oil

So you only have a couple of mods then ;) maybe its because i have fmic

scoobyJim2 08 December 2014 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyJim2 (Post 11577472)

How many horseys and torque,do you know?

RS_Matt 08 December 2014 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by fat-thomas (Post 11577456)
if you drive like a girl yes the crappy 4 pots will stop you once or twice then overheat and fade away when faced with stopping a heavy old newage more than a few times.

I won't lie, my stock brakes failed within 3 miles at 280bhp the first time I pushed it hard on country roads, the smell was like nothing I've ever smelt before.

Since getting uprated fluid, hoses, cross drilled and vented disks I've not had a problem, even at 330bhp.

No word of a lie, if I got an STI one day I'd swap out the 6 speed, get WRX brakes on and take all the external STI badges/stickers off.

Fast cars for me have always been about straight line acceleration, never about cornering or late braking. No car has ever over taken me on the inside on a public road or just before a corner so I enter corners slowly then power out, I make other cars wait behind me for the exit.

fat-thomas 08 December 2014 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyJim2 (Post 11577472)

if you read it he does just a wrx with bits taken off, a laggy old tdo5 and sti bits to fool the girls in maccy ds into thinking he has an sti

RS_Matt 08 December 2014 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyJim2 (Post 11577468)
This is like what i said about putting a 5spd in a sti to make it quicker

An STI with less than 360bhp would fly with a 5 speed. But for track/off road use an Impreza needs to pick up speed without having to launch or carry speed over from previous gears, especially when getting out of shape.

scoobyJim2 08 December 2014 07:30 PM

He explained it as he posted it! 'Same avcs,smaller brakes ie. Lighter! It also is 5spd which accelerate faster than 6spd'

scoobyJim2 08 December 2014 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by fat-thomas (Post 11577434)

In a straight line you don't need brakes!? Especially when most of you guys talk in 1/4 mile times.