ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Group Buys (https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys-356/)
-   -   exhaust wrap...? (https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys-356/351512-exhaust-wrap.html)

TelBoy 20 August 2004 01:35 PM

Agriemach, for what it's worth, said that the paint was pretty much an aesthetic thing as much as anything, as on a Scoob, there isn't a great deal of additional protection required.

Peanuts 20 August 2004 01:36 PM

in that case Ive got a nice tin of underground enhancement material ;)

ST AYE 20 August 2004 01:44 PM

I would be surprised if the paint did not soak into the wrap, wouldnt adhere very well if it didnt;) . However each to their own.

Hoppy 20 August 2004 04:11 PM

Just phoned through my order.

Many thanks, Peanuts :)

Richard.

Tone Loc 20 August 2004 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by ST AYE
I would be surprised if the paint did not soak into the wrap, wouldnt adhere very well if it didnt;) . However each to their own.

So paint soaks into to metal then otherwise it wouldn't adhere??? Woundered why the paint doesn't just fall off my car ;) :D . It doesn't need to soak in to adhere. Exhaust wrap just isn't just a nice material like your t-shirt. its heavily impregnated to cope with the high temps. The paint will help seal some of the pores but will not just 'soak in'.

Tony.

ST AYE 20 August 2004 05:43 PM

As metal is non absorbent, paint would adhere to surface imperfections. Exhaust wrap being a woven material (just like my tee shirt:) ), doesnt have pores it does however does absorb paint. Try looking at some which has been removed.
If you apply enough to prevent ingress of water or oil it will have penetrated right through to the pipework.

Originally Posted by Tone Loc
So paint soaks into to metal then otherwise it wouldn't adhere??? Woundered why the paint doesn't just fall off my car ;) :D . It doesn't need to soak in to adhere. Exhaust wrap just isn't just a nice material like your t-shirt. its heavily impregnated to cope with the high temps. The paint will help seal some of the pores but will not just 'soak in'.

Tony.

chrome 20 August 2004 07:12 PM

ordered Andy- thanks :)

1) AlanG:
2) Peanuts
3) DubaiNeil
4) 911
5) craig5
6) TelBoy
7) Chrome - 1x 1"x50ft, 1x 2"x50ft, 25ft snap strap, 2 tins of paint

ST AYE- I forget- AM are scoob tuners :rolleyes:

RoRu 20 August 2004 07:59 PM

Ordered mine yesterday and made a good saving, thanks for sorting out the GB

Tone Loc 20 August 2004 08:24 PM

As metal is non absorbent, paint would adhere to surface imperfections. Exhaust wrap being a woven material (just like my tee shirt:) ), doesnt have pores it does however does absorb paint. Try looking at some which has been removed.
If you apply enough to prevent ingress of water or oil it will have penetrated right through to the pipework.

Strange the manufacturer states the paint helps to seal the pores..... and you don't think it does :rolleyes: . Yes it is a woven product... but it isn't just a simple fabric like a t-shirt. Let me ask you what you think it is made of??????

Tony.

Tone Loc 20 August 2004 08:35 PM

Or maybe i should ask if you think fibreglass, silica or cermaic products are absorbant. Plus most have a proprietary top coat applied too.

Oh... and why do some quote:

"Often used in marine applications as it does not absorb moisture".

It is nothing like a bloody t-shirt :rolleyes:

Tony.

dougies549 20 August 2004 08:53 PM

Hi All

Remember to wet the wrap before fitting it. Just read the Destruction's :)

Dougie :)

JOHNSTI 21 August 2004 03:32 PM

will be ordering probs friday next week if this will be ok, just back off holiday cand credit card took a beating:norty: need to make payment off that first:)

navigator 21 August 2004 05:25 PM

hi guys
i have no interest in exhuast wrap myself but i had come across something similar which the classic car guys are using with great results they tell me, on thier healeys and mgb's etc and you can get it from rallyused parts .co.uk.I hope it helps.

desciption "Twin layered aluminium heat shield. You can see this high performance material in some recent production cars. It is a highly efficient thermal barrier and also has effective acoustic damping characteristics.
Example of heat reduction:
Exhaust temperature of 500C, metal panel 25mm away. Without a heat shield, metal panel reaches 274C. With Nimbus inbetween, metal panel reaches only 85C !!

For more technical information email rallyused parts

Available in 500 x 200mm sheets in a pack of 5.
Nimbus GII can be bent very easily into all sorts of shapes and can also be cut with scissors."

ST AYE 21 August 2004 08:44 PM

So when you spray your wrap with water, the water isnt absorbed by the wrap then? Of course not thats why the wrap doesnt become more flexible, and of course if you do not paint the wrap, then it obviously remains impermeable to moisture (the original reason for painting wrap is to protect it from oil and water)

Just because the fibres the wrap is woven from do not individually absorb moisture doesnt mean that the woven wrap will not absorb moisture.
Exactly like any "bloody" tee shirt or sponge, manufactured from man made fibres. Ever heard of capillary action?

Originally Posted by Tone Loc
Or maybe i should ask if you think fibreglass, silica or cermaic products are absorbant. Plus most have a proprietary top coat applied too.

Oh... and why do some quote:

"Often used in marine applications as it does not absorb moisture".

It is nothing like a bloody t-shirt :rolleyes:

Tony.

dougies549 21 August 2004 11:05 PM

Wrap

Hi All

I bought a brand new set of header's and wrapped them individually( I.E every pipe seperate) and i used 2 roll's of 1"*50' for this job, this also aloowed me to wrap the uppipe as well.

I also bought 1 can of black paint, sprayed the lot twice and still had some left over.

Just a guide to what i used that's all.

Cheers Dougie :)

Tone Loc 22 August 2004 10:27 PM

So when you spray your wrap with water, the water isnt absorbed by the wrap then? Of course not thats why the wrap doesnt become more flexible, and of course if you do not paint the wrap, then it obviously remains impermeable to moisture (the original reason for painting wrap is to protect it from oil and water)

Just because the fibres the wrap is woven from do not individually absorb moisture doesnt mean that the woven wrap will not absorb moisture.
Exactly like any "bloody" tee shirt or sponge, manufactured from man made fibres. Ever heard of capillary action?

The paint is there to 'Extend the life of the wrap by protecting it from friction and seals the pores to minimise the penetration of liquids.' The pores (you know the ones you said it didn't have) are the gaps between the weave...... this prevents the water/moisture/oil getting 'behind/in' the wrap. The paint also conducts heat across the wrap surface. So the coating controls heat build-up and dissipation.

Yes i know what capillary action is and yes the wrap is used in marine applications and is quoted as NOT absorbing moisture. Do you want to take the manufacture to court for false claims???? So what is your point? You initially said that the paint reduces the insulation properties of the wrap because it has lower thermal properties than the wrap. Yes it does have lower thermal properties but it does not replace any of the wrap, it adds to the thermal mass. You then said the wrap absorbs the paint.... i'd say it sticks to the imperfections on the fibre/silica and the top coat and seals the pores, thus protecting it from the ingress of moisture through the pores. I still don't get your point. Do you want to explain properly to everybody why you think the paint reduces the thermal properties of the wrap.

Tony.

scooby_si 23 August 2004 08:12 AM

Hmmm might well be in the market for sum adhesive reflect a cool stuff. Forgive me if it's already been asked but are we looking at a time frame when this will no longer be available at discounted rates?
Cheers
Si

AlanG 23 August 2004 01:38 PM

Thumbs up from me

Received the goods that i ordered at end of last week, today, which is spot on and can recommend them if my experience with them is anything to go by.

I bought more than i needed but as i said in an earlier post, it won't go to waste.

Just thought i'd let you know how i got on with the company and no problems in dealing with them at all. Nice. :)

As for how much is needed... Dyney posted this on the first page http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/images/icons/icon14.gif so this should give you an idea. :)

Abbylad 23 August 2004 03:22 PM

ST AYE, i couldn`t give a **** really, i`m painting mine and couldn`t really give a toss what the paint does or doesn`t do. anyone else feel the same?

RimP1 23 August 2004 03:45 PM

Just ordered my bits and pieces, thanks for sorting this GB Peanuts

RimP1

Peanuts 23 August 2004 04:38 PM

no problems, glad to help.

if you two could keep it down at the back ;)

drb5 23 August 2004 05:27 PM

ordered;)

JOHNSTI 23 August 2004 08:10 PM

ordering mine tomorrow:)

Peanuts 24 August 2004 07:34 AM

arrived yesterday. tip top service, cant fault them at all.
its gonna be a busy weekend thats for sure, with a fair few scoobs off the road being *wrapped*

JOHNSTI 24 August 2004 09:59 AM

Ordered today :) thanks alot Peanuts nice one

1) AlanG:
2) Peanuts
3) DubaiNeil
4) 911
5) craig5
6) TelBoy
7) Chrome - 1x 1"x50ft, 1x 2"x50ft, 25ft snap strap, 2 tins of paint
8( Johnsti :)

911 24 August 2004 06:12 PM

Mine arrived today at 7.15am. Wife not chuffed, i am (I was at work)
Thanks Peanuts

911 :norty:

chrome 24 August 2004 06:24 PM

likewise :D

craig5 25 August 2004 12:22 PM

got stuff this morning thank's peanut sent switch 1st class craig

drb5 25 August 2004 10:25 PM

received:D

Peanuts 27 August 2004 10:25 AM

switch received thanks craig,
ttt for anymore takers....