ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Heathrow Airplane Crash! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/660745-heathrow-airplane-crash.html)

Bartop 18 January 2008 03:32 PM

BBC news reporting BA statement at 16:00 with the captain..

Brit_in_Japan 18 January 2008 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 7574337)
As you say B in J, there might be a mechanical reversion to operating the controls if the computerised system failed-like the Tornado in fact, but electro hydraulic power would still be required to operate the control surfaces. The mechanical bit only directs the operation of the control surfaces.

Les

I'm not sure what the primary flight actuation system is on the 777, if they are EHMA (electro-hydro mechanical actuators) then they just need electrical power which could come from batteries. If it's a more conventional hydraulic system then they would need the ram air turbine to provide hydraulic power. It would be interesting to know how long this takes to deploy and start generating at approach speed. There's reports the APU had started, but unless it has EHMA's it doesn't help flight actuation.

ZIPPY 18 January 2008 03:47 PM

Reports i've read say the engines may have gone into reverse at circa 400ft, the engines i believe go into reverse thrust just prior to touchdown automatically.
It was mentioned that if the computer thought the plane was lower than it actually was this would cause the engines to go into reverse.

This would also account for the sudden 'Fall' and witness reports of the engines gunning it.

Brit_in_Japan 18 January 2008 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY (Post 7574387)
Reports i've read say the engines may have gone into reverse at circa 400ft, the engines i believe go into reverse thrust just prior to touchdown automatically.
It was mentioned that if the computer thought the plane was lower than it actually was this would cause the engines to go into reverse.

This would also account for the sudden 'Fall' and witness reports of the engines gunning it.

Not possible, there needs to be a Weight-on-Wheels signal before reverse thrust can be deployed.

Shark Man 18 January 2008 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Brit_in_Japan (Post 7574382)
If it's a more conventional hydraulic system then they would need the ram air turbine to provide hydraulic power. It would be interesting to know how long this takes to deploy and start generating at approach speed.

I too would question its effectiveness at approach speed, as it would be operating close to its minimum operating speed

Snazy 18 January 2008 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bartop (Post 7574346)
BBC news reporting BA statement at 16:00 with the captain..

Typical, just like the planes....... he is running behind schedule! :lol1:

Geddon 18 January 2008 04:32 PM

Marvelous bit of assuming the captain was flying it!
Bet the media feel like pricks now!

Snazy 18 January 2008 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Geddon (Post 7574547)

lol indeed, and the senior first officer escaped a media slating for a day too lol.

Shark Man 18 January 2008 04:53 PM

Captain: The co-pilot was landing the plane

<cue interview with 1st officer>

Co-pilot: I thought the Capatin was landing the plane.

:D

Shirley, we're all counting on you :lol1:

Luminous 18 January 2008 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Geddon (Post 7574547)

More likely the gutter press will start and ask questions such as "Could the plane have made the runway had the captain actually been flying".

Its not like they are going to stick their hand up and say "We sold a lot of papers without knowing anything" now is it ;)

Snazy 18 January 2008 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Shark Man (Post 7574623)
Captain: The co-pilot was landing the plane

<cue interview with 1st officer>

Co-pilot: I thought the Capatin was landing the plane.

Shirley, we're all counting on you :lol1:

:lol1: :lol: superb!

Interesting that its seems like the injuries incurred were during evacuation! Goes to show seatbelts have their uses.

Makes me laugh the number of people who take them off and walk about when the light is on....... :Whatever_

Snazy 18 January 2008 05:14 PM

Excellent simulator demonstration just now. Not sure if they had it planned to end the way it did, but same model plane, same "believed" issue, and the plane came to rest, almost in the same place as in reality.

MartinM 18 January 2008 05:28 PM

<<same "believed" issue>>

Which one would that be?

J4CKO 18 January 2008 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate (Post 7574118)
PPRUNE IS STILL FOOKED

Never mind that, you found the shift key, can we expect capital letters from now on ?

DCI Gene Hunt 18 January 2008 05:37 PM

Hero pilot praises crew

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...t1973/otto.jpg

Boro 18 January 2008 05:54 PM

Short clip from the news of the approach...

YouTube - British Airways BA038 Approach

Snazy 18 January 2008 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by MartinM (Post 7574772)
<<same "believed" issue>>

Which one would that be?

Loss of engine power. Thought that had been covered already.

Bartop 18 January 2008 06:28 PM

prelim investigation confirms engine fault..

BBC NEWS | England | London | Engine fault caused crash-landing

DaveD 18 January 2008 06:28 PM

Interesting images of the engines.
It looks like the stbd engine had run down and the port engine was running at low power (if at all) at the point of impact. The damage to the port engine doesn't appear to be consistent with bird ingestion. (Even in the event of a bird strike, the engine wouldn't be shut down by the pilot - the engine control system has surge recovery logic which should recover the engine.)

Thrust reversers cannot be deplyed without a valid weight-on-wheels signal from the aircraft, so that is extreemly unlikely, unless there was a mechanical failure.

From the news, it appears that the engines failed to respond to an increased demand in thrust. This seems very strange if both engines failed to respond, and would indicate either an aircraft control system problem (ie; the aircraft did not demand more thrust), or some problem with the delivery of fuel to the engines (the engines were trying to spool up, but there was insufficient fuel).

DaveD 18 January 2008 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bartop (Post 7574952)
prelim investigation confirms engine fault..

BBC NEWS | England | London | Engine fault caused crash-landing

That report does not confirm an engine fault!! Merely that the engines did not respond to the pilot demand. As above, the likelyhood of both engines failing to respond (having each suffered a similar failure) is extreemly remote. More likely a fuelling / aircraft fault.

Bartop 18 January 2008 06:37 PM

Ok - the engines didn't respond to auto pilot and pilot demand..
The AIBB report in full quoted on the BBC

BBC NEWS | England | London | In full: AAIB initial statement

Boro 18 January 2008 06:47 PM

Wouldn't a suspected fault like that ground all 777's until the problem has been identified and fixed?

Nido 18 January 2008 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Nido (Post 7571326)
perhaps after throttling down during the descent they wouldn't power up again? That would have maintained enough power for control surfaces / lights etc, but not enough power to make the runway.

:smug:

:D :D :D

Brit_in_Japan 18 January 2008 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Nido (Post 7575013)
:smug:

:D :D :D

So they seem to have ruled out any climatic reasons, crew error and bird strikes. So that just leaves some sort of system malfunction.

They said the engines didn't respond, which suggests they were still spooling (as opposed to having stopped altogether). The pictures show the RAT, but was that because it had been deployed (either automatically or commanded by the aircrew) or is that just a result of the impact?

The engines have different power supplies, different fuel sources, different FADEC's, each with multiple channels, independent computer hardware supplied with independent electrical sources and independently derived software and commanded by the throttles which have multiple redundant RVDT's.

It shouldn't be possible to effectively lose both at the same time. Lot's of late nights in store for the engineers and investigators to find out the cause quickly, there's several hundred B777's in the air at any given time.

FlightMan 18 January 2008 07:40 PM

Purely guessing but I think may be a 1 in a million/billion ( pick any number you like ) system malfunction. Be interesting to see if the FDR has picked up the cause. If not, as B_in_J said, some long nights ahead for Boeing engineers.

StickyMicky 18 January 2008 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by FlightMan (Post 7575203)
Purely guessing but I think may be a 1 in a million/billion ( pick any number you like ) system malfunction.

just like how it was posted in the paper today ;)

Bravo2zero_sps 18 January 2008 10:16 PM

Heathrow BA 777 Plane Crash Pilot Tells What Went Wrong |Sky News|UK News

2 miles out both engines fail while on a normal descent rate, no wonder the 1st Officer is getting massive praise for getting it as close to the runway as he did :eek: At that point there must be a very fine line between getting the nose up to prolong the descent and stalling it.

I just don't know how anyone in that situation can not have a brown trouser moment.

FlightMan 18 January 2008 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky (Post 7575482)
just like how it was posted in the paper today ;)

I don't buy newspapers. :smug:

noobyscooby 18 January 2008 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by what would scooby do (Post 7570766)
Shame it didn't crash land on his head :mad:

Hear! hear!

Boro 18 January 2008 10:29 PM

If ive read the AAIB report correct, the engines didnt FAIL, they just didnt provide more power, is that right?