ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Golf R Owners..... (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/1016480-golf-r-owners.html)

john banks 06 March 2015 04:29 PM

Thanks. The Kumhos were just on a cheap set of wheels I bought off a guy who had been doing the E36 compact cup, just road tyres. I just received a pair of Federal RSR after being in an E36 M3 with them on the front on the same day. He was going into corners what seemed like backwards, phenomenal. On the rear most of the Sunday drifters tend to use part worns, the track have started doing them £5 each, £5 to change, £2 disposal. Cheap. Not the best grip, but not trying to set speed records just have fun cheaply.

pacenote 06 March 2015 05:14 PM

Makes sense with part worns on the rear at that price as you're ragging them anyway and you don't need the grip. I would still try some decent soft compound on the front.

john banks 06 March 2015 05:19 PM

Maybe for summer? Or you would fit them now - in Scotland? Biggest problem with understeer was in the wet.

cuprajake 06 March 2015 05:45 PM

Look at bcs exhausts.

A lot Better than miltek.

pacenote 06 March 2015 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by john banks (Post 11640392)
Maybe for summer? Or you would fit them now - in Scotland? Biggest problem with understeer was in the wet.

I'd use them now to try and dial out the understeer although I appreciate you may need to alter suspension geometry as well.

Probably best to start another thread on this as don't think Golf R owners will be doing any drifting :D

scoobyboy1 06 March 2015 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 11640276)
I'd miss the feel of a knob in my hand :D
I can't get over the idea of not having a manual. It's ingrained in my DNA. Tell me you don't miss swapping the cogs yourself Shaun.

Dont know about you Maz, but I prefer flaps to a big cold gear knob in the morning!!!:lol1:

Gear flaps(paddles) that is!!:thumb:

Maz 06 March 2015 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1 (Post 11640556)
Dont know about you Maz, but I prefer flaps to a big cold gear knob in the morning!!!:lol1:

Gear flaps(paddles) that is!!:thumb:

:lol:
I think like any generation weaned on something specific I'm reluctant to embrace new technology. Must get with the times!

john banks 16 March 2015 10:14 PM

Was in one of these weekend, before and after it was mapped. Manual.

Fake engine noise is obvious. Handling and ride OK. Interior not bad but nothing astonishing, just competent.

Before the map I honestly couldn't tell it was significantly faster than our MkV GTI. Afterwards there was a bit more shove but it isn't like it would stop you mid sentence or make you ponder death when the throttle was opened. Overall I'm sorry to say I was massively disappointed after all the hype.

Anyone that thinks it is a GTR worrier is deluded.

Harryr34 17 March 2015 07:21 AM

I'd recommend a drive in a DSG equipped R, the DSG box turns it into a completely different car! I've just fitted a DTUK tuning box and a pedal box to mine which has turned it into a surprisingly competent fast road car. I plan to run the DTUK box until I find time to travel up to Unicorn Developments for a remap, I'll try and log some vbox times in the not too distant future.

Shaun 17 March 2015 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by john banks (Post 11647250)

Fake engine noise is obvious. Handling and ride OK. Interior not bad but nothing astonishing, just competent.

Before the map I honestly couldn't tell it was significantly faster than our MkV GTI. Afterwards there was a bit more shove but it isn't like it would stop you mid sentence or make you ponder death when the throttle was opened. Overall I'm sorry to say I was massively disappointed after all the hype.

It's all about context John - something that "hype" rarely takes into account.

scoobyboy1 17 March 2015 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by john banks (Post 11647250)

Its still a Golf at the end of the day no matter how many R badges and tailpipes they put on it, but fake engine noise is doing my head in a bit, but ive heard it can be disconnected(5 second job) Sounds like a Audi R8 inside and well not sure on the outside but im guessing nothing like the inside:D

As for the DSG, you do get the little crackles and pops from the exhaust on gear change(im hoping this isnt coming through the speakers too:D) But it does sound good and the DSG gear changes are quick which makes it a fast car, its just that its 300bhp standard, AWD and heavy, so doesnt make you think its very fast, so with a bit more power with the DSG box, I think it would make it a very quick car.:thumb:

scoobyboy1 21 March 2015 10:05 PM

Gave the R a clean today!!:thumb: Still quite happy with it after nearly 3 weeks of ownership. Even tried the Launch control tonight:norty:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16...0.jpg~original
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16...2.jpg~original
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16...6.jpg~original
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16...7.jpg~original
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16...6.jpg~original
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16...1.jpg~original
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16...9.jpg~original

RS Grant 22 March 2015 01:04 AM

Looks great, a little pink on the front end though... :lol1: :p

My sister picks hers up next Thursday/Friday and I should be collecting mine around this time next month and I cannot wait, it'll be a kick in the ar$e off 7 months that I'll have been waiting!! :freak3:

Cheers,
Grant

Harryr34 22 March 2015 04:08 AM

That looks very nice, I've covered 4000 awesome miles in mine since Christmas :)

scoobyboy1 22 March 2015 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by RS Grant (Post 11650507)
Looks great, a little pink on the front end though... :lol1: :p

My sister picks hers up next Thursday/Friday and I should be collecting mine around this time next month and I cannot wait, it'll be a kick in the ar$e off 7 months that I'll have been waiting!! :freak3:

Cheers,
Grant

Its worth the wait:thumb: I think I had to wait 5 months from when I first ordered. Keep seeing black mk7 Golf R's about, and kind of wish I went for black instead of the pink.:D

Originally Posted by Harryr34 (Post 11650520)
That looks very nice, I've covered 4000 awesome miles in mine since Christmas :)

Done 400 miles so far:D

Did I read somewhere that yours was mapped?? Even though they are fast cars standard, I cant help thinking that 360bhp from a re-map like revo etc would turn it into a animal.:norty:

ditchmyster 22 March 2015 09:32 AM

Yep black with a roof spoiler like the clio's and a front lip would improve things, I'm not feeling the look of these standard just reminds me of my mates hyundai I30 or what ever it is.

Shaun 22 March 2015 09:43 AM

There was a white one parked opposite my house yesterday. It did look really nice in white.

Not everyone is into the "chav" look like me, but I really think they need something else to "stand out" a tad.

Shaun 22 March 2015 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1 (Post 11650436)
Still quite happy with it after nearly 3 weeks of ownership.

"quite" happy!? and after only three weeks?

You sure you bought the right car? :D

dpb 22 March 2015 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11650558)
Yep black with a roof spoiler like the clio's and a front lip would improve things, I'm not feeling the look of these standard just reminds me of my mates hyundai I30 or what ever it is.

its ze geman efficiency - dull

i think the hi an drys even look better , also the auris

scoobyboy1 22 March 2015 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11650558)

Put a front lip(like the blob/hawk lips) on a mates white mk7 Golf R yesterday and it didn't look right, kind of made it look really cheap, plus the quality was not really up to standard especially when fitting it to a £30k car.

Hyundai I30:lol1: My mate said it looks like the old Honda Civic Type R, But I keep getting people stop me, saying "nice R32 mate":brickwall

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 11650563)
"quite" happy!? and after only three weeks?

You sure you bought the right car? :D

Cant afford a A45 AMG, so settled for the next best thing:D

Problem is that its a standard car so not going to excite like my previous modded Impreza STi, But when you know that a re-map can bring it to 360bhp and 0-60 in 3.9, and your torn between keeping it standard or voiding the warranty.:norty:

scottee73 22 March 2015 10:51 AM

If i had 30k to spend I'd be getting impreza hatch cs400

Shaun 22 March 2015 10:53 AM

If you're bothered about the warranty get a "Tuning Box". ;)

Get one from DTUK for £430, which will take it up to 360bhp.

Maz 22 March 2015 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 11650592)

Great cars but 60 under four seconds with 360 bhp sounds optimistic.

scoobyboy1 22 March 2015 11:01 AM

I said I was going to keep it standard, Even promised the wife:lol1:

scoobyboy1 22 March 2015 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 11650603)
Great cars but 60 under four seconds with 360 bhp sounds optimistic.

0-60: 3.78 with the Revo stage 1:notworthy its the DSG gearbox that produces the good 0-60 time, after trying the launch control yesterday, it really does shift to 60mph from a standing start, it gave that feeling which turns your stomach, Ive been in some very fast 400+bhp Impreza's, but the Golf R launch in standard is up there with them 0-60!!

Butty 22 March 2015 11:38 AM

And A45 owners have to fork out £1,000 for a similar box. :mad:
Having an AMG badge attracts a very tidy mark-up on modding parts.

I hope the Litchfield box price brakes the mold.

Shaun 22 March 2015 11:43 AM

My standard A45 with 360bhp did the 60 sprint in 4.2s. With 405bhp it does it in 3.7s.

0-60 sprints are for fannies though. It's in and through gear that counts in the real world.

The Golf's do appear to access the power well, which I suspect is more down to the DSG set-up (which appears to be better than the Merc box).

The golf is certainly a quick car in reality.

Shaun 22 March 2015 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Butty (Post 11650624)
And A45 owners have to fork out £1,000 for a similar box. :mad:
Having an AMG badge attracts a very tidy mark-up on modding parts.

I hope the Litchfield box price brakes the mold.

Yes it does...... The Litchfield A45 AMG Tuning Box is £500+vat. Have some of that!!! :D

AMG Tax exempt. ;)

Harryr34 22 March 2015 03:14 PM

I've fitted a DTUK FSR and peddle box to mine recently, it's stunning with the extra power and the increased response of the accelerator peddle... I plan to have it mapped by Rick & Unicorn Developments when I get a chance, I picked up the DTUK kit second hand to see what it is like in the mean time.

scoobyboy1 22 March 2015 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Harryr34 (Post 11650719)
I've fitted a DTUK FSR and peddle box to mine recently, it's stunning with the extra power and the increased response of the accelerator peddle... I plan to have it mapped by Rick & Unicorn Developments when I get a chance, I picked up the DTUK kit second hand to see what it is like in the mean time.

How much would you sell the DTUK kit mate??? Let me know when you sell I could be interested!!!:thumb: