ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Apple iPad - Stunning. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/820553-apple-ipad-stunning.html)

f1_fan 05 April 2010 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 9329331)
High Horse, it seems you're the one who's looking down poo pooing anything that may be positive about the iPad. Please take your negativity elsewhere, start a 'Apple is Poo' thread perhaps rather than tainting others.

It's thread on the iPad and just because my opinions don't agree with yours doesn't mean I won't be posting them, deal with it rather than saying 'you can't post here if you don't agree with me' . What are you? 12 years old FFS?

Adobe could release a version of Photoshop for the iPad that has a professional use, unfortunately for you when and if they do you'll have to suck even more Lemons than when my iPad tells me to revisit this thread in two years time.

Not unless they find a way to make the iPad grow a professional monitor too. That is if you understand how Photoshop is used profssionally of course which I doubt given your inane ramblings here.

Back on track, here's how my iPad will look in Netbook mode
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets...stoilet_12.jpg

LOL, now all you need is hinge :cuckoo:

JackClark 05 April 2010 10:21 AM

It's true you can post negativity wherever you want, but that won't stop me from requesting that you move along. And no, I'm not "12 years old FFS"

This will be my final reply to you, you're obviously getting unduly upset over a product you'll never buy, that sort of behaviour will see you in an early grave or at least spoil your bank holiday. If you find my posts inane why take notice, try to relax and see the good in the iPad.

f1_fan 05 April 2010 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 9329397)
This will be my final reply to you as yuou don't agree with me and what I says goes as far as Apple is concerned

EFA :thumb: :D

Upset? Spoiling my bank holiday? Nope.

Sorry about the 12 year old comment, 13 at a push? ;)

Aaron1978 05 April 2010 01:03 PM

Was it you Jack?

[IMG]http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...apple-car2.jpg[/IMG]

:D

JackClark 05 April 2010 02:56 PM

My van has Apple logos but not that many :)

Snazy 05 April 2010 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 9329926)
My van has Apple logos but not that many :)

http://chrismaloney.files.wordpress..../apple-car.jpg

JackClark 05 April 2010 11:31 PM

I think I'll use VNC but this gives a good idea of how I'll be doing more technical tasks on my iPad.

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/05/first...ition-on-ipad/

subaruturbo_18 06 April 2010 12:09 AM

Back on track, here's how my iPad will look in Netbook mode
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets...stoilet_12.jpg

A serious question Jack, Why would you use the iPad in a case like that holding the screen upright, and then (i guess) wirelessly connecting a keyboard, which would require you to have it set up on a desk, when you could use a laptop (be it Mac or PC) which would have more functionality, you could set it up on your lap and it could be transported around a lot easier. Since a laptop is one piece and what is displayed in your picture is now two pieces it now looks slightly less convenient?

JackClark 06 April 2010 12:42 AM

Why transport a physical keyboard when you don't need one. If I use the iPad on my lap then the keyboard isn't needed, but sometimes I need a machine on a desk so why not connect a keyboard. I already have it so it's a no brainer.

Same with the Mouse, I sometimes take it with my Laptop and it's a fine Mouse, Magic in fact, but I don't take it out all the time. The keyboard I'll use occasionally, it's an absolute pleasure to type on.

Jamie 06 April 2010 07:59 AM

:D

ScoobyDoo555 06 April 2010 08:06 AM

This is a MUCH more effective use of the ipad.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSnIXfoSU6I

VERY impressive (shame it's an annoying American though) - I can see some fantastic potential...

DAn

Trout 06 April 2010 08:26 AM

Really well made video and some top guys working on the install.

jjones 06 April 2010 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555 (Post 9331413)

VERY impressive (shame it's an annoying American though) - I can see some fantastic potential...

DAn

great, so when you park up you take it with you or come back to a broken window and a hole in the dash board.

ScoobyDoo555 06 April 2010 09:10 AM

YES.

the sensible thing would be to take the ipad with you when you leave the car unattended......

But perhaps that's just too much like common sense!

JackClark 06 April 2010 09:12 AM

Great find, thanks Dan. I sat talking about an in car install with a friend yesterday afternoon, I'm more velcro than bondo and will use bluetooth audio, my friend will want a more solid install to make better use of the built in sensors and another mount for the kids.

In other news the comments on the article are - or were - excellent.
http://gizmodo.com/5510191/deconstru...a-giant-iphone

GlesgaKiss 06 April 2010 09:24 AM

I still don't get what the iPad does. It seems to be basically a giant iPod touch, and not as useful as a laptop. Why would anyone want a giant one when they can have a small one? Are people really going to carry this brick around? It's surely not as useful as a laptop, while it's roughly the same size to carry... which begs the question: why not just buy a laptop?

These questions are the reasons I wouldn't even think about buying an iPad. To me, a product like that should jump out at you as being useful, rather than having an 8 page thread attempting to justify it. Lol

ScoobyDoo555 06 April 2010 09:36 AM

I think that your comment along with mine on the previous page sum it up nicely.

Some people will "get" the application of this device, some won't. I actually think Apple are attempting the ambitious task of changing a thought-process and attitude towards IT. Whether they're the right company to be doing this, well, who knows. They certainly have as much right as Microsoft... or any other company.

But all that has happened (and it's Apple marketing's DREAM scenario) is that the opinions have been polarised.... creating great debate..... talking about their product....

Free publicity. They must be laughing all the way to the bank!! :D

Dan

Trout 06 April 2010 09:46 AM

As I said much earlier - Apples core brand value is Apple 'opposes'. It creates new vectors in a world of inertia.

I am in Florida next week - I might see if I can pick one up!!

Any downside of buying a US one?

Trout 06 April 2010 09:49 AM

PS Although I do find the 'hate Apple' supporters quite odd. Why put SO much energy into not liking something.

If you think something is rubbish then why waste effort running campaigns against it!

Just think about putting all that energy into things you actually like!

ScoobyDoo555 06 April 2010 09:55 AM

I must admit that the amount of opposition to not just this product, but Apple in general is quite astounding - I've been reading across the net various Apple articles, and this hatred of a brand is quite unnerving.

Is it more so a hatred of the product, or of Steve Jobs (who I think is a bit of a tw@t too)?

STi wanna Subaru 06 April 2010 10:04 AM

I like the apple products I've used. I don't think they're however amazing or any better than other similar products out there. I think the thing people dislike is the 80's style BMW arrogance some Apple users seem to have... saying that though I think that's deliberate by them as they enjoy getting a rise out of people.

Trout 06 April 2010 10:05 AM

I think people hate the fact that they are brilliant at how they do what they do - because they do not subscribe to what they actually do...

...if that makes sense!

Trout 06 April 2010 10:06 AM

Why, oh, why do I get so many double posts?!

It must be because I am posting from my Macbook ;) :p

JackClark 06 April 2010 10:06 AM

I can't see a downside to buying in the US if you're buying the WiFi only version.

3G may or may not be an issue, but I'll be holding out for a European version that hopefully has a European data plan. The SIM Card is still my least favourite feature.

'Pictures or it didn't happen' when you do get it.

JackClark 06 April 2010 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 9331556)
Why, oh, why do I get so many double posts?!

It must be because I am posting from my Macbook ;) :p

It's happening on iMac's too :)

Sabotage I tell ye!

JackClark 06 April 2010 10:27 AM

Alan, having a giant one is sometimes a burden but it's one I'm prepared to live with.

Back to the iPad... it's smaller than my current laptop, even with the Bluetooth Keyboard. My iPhone will still be with me with similar functions should I want a smaller screen and as a back up. All three together are still smaller than my 13.1" Macbook. If I don't sell the Macbook to pay for the iPad it can venture out from under my TV when needed, take all of the above and an Airport Express and we have a party.

subaruturbo_18 06 April 2010 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 9331336)
Why transport a physical keyboard when you don't need one. If I use the iPad on my lap then the keyboard isn't needed, but sometimes I need a machine on a desk so why not connect a keyboard. I already have it so it's a no brainer.

Same with the Mouse, I sometimes take it with my Laptop and it's a fine Mouse, Magic in fact, but I don't take it out all the time. The keyboard I'll use occasionally, it's an absolute pleasure to type on.

The thing is, if you wanted something set up on a desk, why not use a macbook? this you can take everywhere and do a lot more on. I just think its a bit pointless to now carry around the ipad with that casing and then a keyboard and mouse too, when you could just use a laptop?

I'm not trying to have a dig i just genuinely don't understand the need for this item. Perhaps it's because it doesn't fit into my lifestyle

Scoobychick 06 April 2010 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555 (Post 9331413)

DAn

That's cool - Pimp My Pad! :cool: :D

That bloke chewing gum with his mouth open is REALLY annoying though.

Trout 06 April 2010 10:39 AM

I could see where it fits with mine.

At the moment I run a business from my Macbook but also travel to London three days a week for my main client. My client has given me a ThinkPad for their stuff due to data security requirements that I choose not to have on my Mac.

So for me - three days a week I am carting around my Macbook and a ThinkPad. The iPad would be a good compromise and a lot lighter than taking my Macbook with me. Also a good device as I can use it when I am travelling as a giant media centre.

Even if it is just a giant iPod touch then that would make sense to me.

Trout 06 April 2010 10:39 AM

I could see where it fits with mine.

At the moment I run a business from my Macbook but also travel to London three days a week for my main client. My client has given me a ThinkPad for their stuff due to data security requirements that I choose not to have on my Mac.

So for me - three days a week I am carting around my Macbook and a ThinkPad. The iPad would be a good compromise and a lot lighter than taking my Macbook with me. Also a good device as I can use it when I am travelling as a giant media centre.

Even if it is just a giant iPod touch then that would make sense to me.