ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Golf R Owners..... (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/1016480-golf-r-owners.html)

RS Grant 22 March 2015 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 11650592)
If you're bothered about the warranty get a "Tuning Box". ;)

Get one from DTUK for £430, which will take it up to 360bhp.

I'm still to be convinced that these tuning boxes will be completely undetectable, despite reading about them on the R-Forum... it's a bloody big gamble to take!! One wee TD1 Flag and its goodbye warranty and hello hassle.

Cheers,
Grant

RS Grant 22 March 2015 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1 (Post 11650541)
Its worth the wait:thumb: I think I had to wait 5 months from when I first ordered. Keep seeing black mk7 Golf R's about, and kind of wish I went for black instead of the pink.:D

I'd have gone for black, but my past three 'nice' cars have all been black so fancied a change and Blue/White are a bit toooo common in the MK7 R... so went for the free option and stuck with Tornado Pink too. :lol1:

Cheers,
Grant

Harryr34 22 March 2015 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1 (Post 11650760)
How much would you sell the DTUK kit mate??? Let me know when you sell I could be interested!!!:thumb:

I'd be looking for £300 plus postage for the DTUK FSR tuning box and peddle box, I'll give you a heads up when I'm looking to sell.

scoobyboy1 22 March 2015 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Harryr34 (Post 11650873)
I'd be looking for £300 plus postage for the DTUK FSR tuning box and peddle box, I'll give you a heads up when I'm looking to sell.

Sound mate:thumb:

Shaun 22 March 2015 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by RS Grant (Post 11650769)
I'm still to be convinced that these tuning boxes will be completely undetectable, despite reading about them on the R-Forum... it's a bloody big gamble to take!! One wee TD1 Flag and its goodbye warranty and hello hassle.

Cheers,
Grant

How is a tuning box going to throw an ECU flag. The ECU does not know a box is even attached.

Remaps are of course a totally different story. Although there are ways to get round that.

RS Grant 22 March 2015 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 11650976)
How is a tuning box going to throw an ECU flag. The ECU does not know a box is even attached.

Remaps are of course a totally different story. Although there are ways to get round that.

That's what I thought given that the box is essentially just tricking sensors into requesting extra boost etc, but still operating within their original parameters; but reading the R-Forum would suggest that there is information stored on the ECU which would throw a flag.

If someone could confirm, without a shadow of doubt, that no trace or flag is left then I think it'd boost sales by a huge margin.

Cheers,
Grant

john banks 22 March 2015 10:58 PM

I doubt available or dealer level diagnostics reveal all. Tuning boxes usually intercept pressure sensors and a rotational sensor. Whilst there may be no MAF sensor, the fuel flow, longitudinal g and wastegate adaptations are easy giveaways. Best approach is to tune if you want to, knowing the consequences. The R 'needs' a tune in the sense that the stock engine is typical detuned VAG and feels generic.

Littleted 23 March 2015 11:32 AM

Shaun i see Weistecs is actually an ECU am i right ?

Just unplug old one add this thing ? looks weird is that what the ECU looks like ( not looked )

banny sti 23 March 2015 12:58 PM

The DTUK tuning box made a big difference to a friend's 64 plate S3, certainly worth the money and he is seriously considering the gearbox unit now

Shaun 23 March 2015 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Littleted (Post 11651246)
Shaun i see Weistecs is actually an ECU am i right ?

Just unplug old one add this thing ? looks weird is that what the ECU looks like ( not looked )

Yes and Yes - although that price is just for the map. ;) You need to send them your ECU.

Shaun 23 March 2015 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by banny sti (Post 11651290)
The DTUK tuning box made a big difference to a friend's 64 plate S3, certainly worth the money and he is seriously considering the gearbox unit now

What gearbox unit mate? You referring to the pedalbox?

Devildog 24 March 2015 12:17 PM

Your passenger door allignment looks off at the b pillar (pics one and 2 particularly).

Sorry - just jumped out at me

banny sti 24 March 2015 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 11651323)
What gearbox unit mate? You referring to the pedalbox?

pedalbox thats the one, name slipped me :lol1:

RS Grant 24 March 2015 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by john banks (Post 11651053)
I doubt available or dealer level diagnostics reveal all. Tuning boxes usually intercept pressure sensors and a rotational sensor. Whilst there may be no MAF sensor, the fuel flow, longitudinal g and wastegate adaptations are easy giveaways. Best approach is to tune if you want to, knowing the consequences. The R 'needs' a tune in the sense that the stock engine is typical detuned VAG and feels generic.

I suspect you could very well be right regarding the 'need' for a tune, although I'll only be able to confirm that once I've lived with mine for a wee while... and I'm sure plenty of people would be happy to install a TB (or the like) if they were proven to be undetectable at dealer level.

Cheers,
Grant

lozgti1 24 March 2015 01:23 PM

Lovely cars.

Shaun 24 March 2015 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by banny sti (Post 11651977)
pedalbox thats the one, name slipped me :lol1:

Personally.... I would suggest these are a gimmick. All they do is alter the voltage at the sensor, so the engine thinks it has more throttle angle than the pedal has actually made. The downside of this is that you end up with less "control" through the throttle, and it becomes more on and off - not what you really want for driveability imo.

robby 29 March 2015 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 11652097)
Personally.... I would suggest these are a gimmick. All they do is alter the voltage at the sensor, so the engine thinks it has more throttle angle than the pedal has actually made. The downside of this is that you end up with less "control" through the throttle, and it becomes more on and off - not what you really want for driveability imo.

I had a Sprintbooster fitted to my old Clio 200 which is similar and it made a lot of difference to the drive so they do work.
The SB had 3 settings and throttle response was totally different between them

LUCKO 30 March 2015 02:47 AM

CN15 YCK HAS BEEN STOLEN 2.10am Monday 30th March 2015

im sad to have just learned this car has been stolen approx 1 mile from J10 M6 Walsall West Midlands

i was warned several of these gone missing already not 2 far from me (staffordshire)

got a white one on my drive right now....for how long?? :mad:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16...2.jpg~original

scoobyboy1 30 March 2015 05:17 AM

STOLEN CN15 YCK

Gutted:(

Got woken up this morning at 2.10am with my wife shouting me to phone the police as someone is driving off in the car, Went downstairs to find the rear door had the lock drilled out and the keys for the Golf R missing!!:eek:

The keys where on the dining room table and rested on top of some cash, the cash and a I-pad next to it was left, and just the keys taken.:wonder:

Police told me I should have taken the keys to bed with me!!!:cuckoo:

maydew 30 March 2015 07:22 AM

Call you later mate ,glad family are ok.

scoobyboy1 30 March 2015 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by maydew (Post 11656122)
Call you later mate ,glad family are ok.

Thanks mate, Speak to you later!!!:thumb:

ditchmyster 30 March 2015 07:51 AM

Bloody hell that sounds a bit dramatic for the sake of an average hatch back and I don't mean that as any dis-respect to the car, I can see going to those lengths for some exotica but for a golf. :wonder:

Anyway glad that you and the family are ok, that's the most important thing.:thumb:

As for the cop saying take the keys to bed with you, they or he/she wants a slap and I'd be reporting them for going around suggesting that to people. :cuckoo:

CutMasterT 30 March 2015 08:11 AM

Sorry to hear that, at least no one was hurt. Thieving scumbags I hope they catch them.

scoobyboy1 30 March 2015 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11656126)
Bloody hell that sounds a bit dramatic for the sake of an average hatch back and I don't mean that as any dis-respect to the car, I can see going to those lengths for some exotica but for a golf. :wonder:

Anyway glad that you and the family are ok, that's the most important thing.:thumb:

As for the cop saying take the keys to bed with you, they or he/she wants a slap and I'd be reporting them for going around suggesting that to people. :cuckoo:

Like you say its only a VW Golf, but there seem to be a big demand for them. I dont really want the car back as will it happen again in 3-6 months time, Not really worth putting my family in danger for a car.:(

Never had problems with Subaru, Evo's on my drive, and I have a Golf for 28 days and its gone already, probably in a container off to some 3rd world country!!:Suspiciou

CutMasterT 30 March 2015 10:08 AM

Still its a golf that's quite a lot of money to be fair.

banny sti 30 March 2015 10:14 AM

Gutted for you but sounds like they are being stolen to order

Brun 30 March 2015 12:05 PM

Brun - waiting for the "I take my keys to bed with me because I do Kung foo and keep a baseball bat nearby" brigade :Suspiciou

Shaun 30 March 2015 12:50 PM

scoobyboy1,
Terrible news. :( However, your family is safe and insurance can take care of the rest.

scoobyboy1 30 March 2015 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by banny sti (Post 11656221)
Gutted for you but sounds like they are being stolen to order

Yeah, they only come for the car, the keys where left on top of some cash, and they didn't even take the money, I shut all the downstairs doors, and I leave the keys on the dining room table(window blinds shut), I cant afford for them to come upstairs with my wife and kid there, and she has already said she dont want the car back!!!:(

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 11656287)
scoobyboy1,
Terrible news. :( However, your family is safe and insurance can take care of the rest.

Thanks Shaun, Insurance company have been good so far, had to have a 3 way conversation with the insurance company and the DVLA??:wonder: I phoned VW finance and asked what the crack is regarding my deposit for the car and what will happen as my first monthly payment comes out tomorrow(told not to cancel this as it will be bad on credit rating:Whatever_) they said that they could sort with the insurance company to have a like for like replacement if the car is not found:( Not sure I want a new car on my drive again!!

So basically waited 6 months for 28 days ownership and 500 miles!!!:cry:

Shaun 30 March 2015 01:42 PM

Yep.... that's what they normally do with a car that is that new. Offer an exact like for like replacement.

Have you got a garage?