ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   iPhone 8 (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/1049779-iphone-8-a.html)

bioforger 03 October 2017 09:57 PM

:lol1:

JackClark 04 October 2017 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by bioforger (Post 11969894)
:lol1:

:thumb:

stevebt 06 October 2017 04:16 PM

Jack. Which would you get? A used 256gb iphone 7 or a new 64gb iphone 8? Im stuck between both of these and from what I have read the 8 isnt much of a step up?

Brun 06 October 2017 05:03 PM

An 8 isn’t much of a step up from a 6 :D

JackClark 06 October 2017 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 11970360)
Jack. Which would you get? A used 256gb iphone 7 or a new 64gb iphone 8? Im stuck between both of these and from what I have read the 8 isnt much of a step up?

I don’t think 64gb is enough, my 6 had 128 and was comfortably over 64gb, these new ones create much bigger media files. I’m sure it can be managed but I’d rather not think about it for a few years.

The 8+ is a huge step from the 6+, that was my upgrade, 3 years worth of new tech. You need to be a bit of a geek right now to appreciate it, mostly new chips that will help later with longevity. I expect 3 years of excellent service, just like my last one.

stevebt 06 October 2017 06:31 PM

I won’t keep a phone for 3 years. I tend to change every year’ish. My S7 edge is feeling a bit old :)

JackClark 06 October 2017 06:50 PM

Get the 8, with iCloud you should manage and it’s way better than the 7, screen, camera, processors, Bla, Bla. AR stuff shows the difference clearly.

stevebt 06 October 2017 08:18 PM

I have used large memory cards in the past to store video and music on my phone but I now have nowtv/amazon/Netflix plus I have found YouTube great and uses little data also I have Apple Music so the need for that storage space has gone also Dropbox takes care of lots of my pictures :)

Brun 06 October 2017 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11970382)
I don’t think 64gb is enough, my 6 had 128 and was comfortably over 64gb, these new ones create much bigger media files. I’m sure it can be managed but I’d rather not think about it for a few years.

The 8+ is a huge step from the 6+, that was my upgrade, 3 years worth of new tech. You need to be a bit of a geek right now to appreciate it, mostly new chips that will help later with longevity. I expect 3 years of excellent service, just like my last one.

Maybe to a tiny minority, but in reality my 6s does nothing in the real world that my 4s couldn’t. Way better screen and improved camera but everything else is in the same ball park.
Bar a few gimmicks and slight improvements here and there, the 8 hasn’t got anything significant over my 6s. In reality, if my 5 hadn’t given up the will to live, I’d still be using that!

JackClark 06 October 2017 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Brun (Post 11970420)
Maybe to a tiny minority, but in reality my 6s does nothing in the real world that my 4s couldn’t. Way better screen and improved camera but everything else is in the same ball park.
Bar a few gimmicks and slight improvements here and there, the 8 hasn’t got anything significant over my 6s. In reality, if my 5 hadn’t given up the will to live, I’d still be using that!

What about paying for things, that’s a big deal, not available on the 4s, which was a fine phone.

8 has fast, wireless charging which if you were to believe the Fandroids is the best thing since sliced loafs.

Totally see what you’re saying though, if I had the 6s I wouldn’t have the 8.

JackClark 07 October 2017 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by toffee_pie (Post 11970519)
Horray for Apple, finally waking up to the 21st century with improved displays and wirless charging, its a step in the right direction for sure but as usual they are ripping off mugs like Jacko here who are none the wiser and assume since apple has this tech it must be cutting edge? right Jacko?

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...-charging.html

And even the much touted displays on the iPhone 8 and X are still lagging behind Samsung, the S8 has much a much better display

Who let you out of your box. Apples wireless charging is very advanced, you should research it so you can tell your Fandroid mates down the pub what they’ll be getting.

I’m in an office with multiple S8’s they’re very impressed with the 8+ true tone display, which ignoring your beloved specs, looks a whole lot nicer.

dpb 09 October 2017 06:20 AM

Jack,

How is it possible to roll back latest update ( 11.0.2 )

It's destroyed further my 6s mobile pickup

I get gprs, instead of 3g

JackClark 09 October 2017 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11970783)
Jack,

How is it possible to roll back latest update ( 11.0.2 )

It's destroyed further my 6s mobile pickup

I get gprs, instead of 3g

Theres usually a window when you can, instructions should be easy to Google.

My advice, take it to Apple, explain that you were brushed off and now it’s gotten worse, show them your modem only works on gprs and you’ll walk out with a replacement.

jazzyjembreaze 09 October 2017 08:10 PM

My 8 got delivered today , glad to see the back of my 6s .that just hated the cold & would switch of at random. Impossible to use on my bike with quad lock unless I was using external power bank.looking forward to a faster processor & air mat charging on release lol

jazzyjembreaze 09 October 2017 08:13 PM

Does anyone know if I will be able to buy a new quad lock case for the 8?
Without having to buy the whole kit again ( bike attachment etc ???

JackClark 10 October 2017 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by jazzyjembreaze (Post 11970924)
Does anyone know if I will be able to buy a new quad lock case for the 8?
Without having to buy the whole kit again ( bike attachment etc ???

Mines an 8+ I bought the 7+ Quadlock case as the dimensions are the same. Bought direct, £20’odd quid I think. Not having to pocket my phone in the rain is very nice.

I’ve never ridden long enough to run the battery out using Strava, mind you if out for 4 hours plus I often turn the screen off which obviously saves a ton, but I have my Bluetooth HRM, my Watch and headphones connected, often streaming the radio.

JackClark 10 October 2017 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by toffee_pie (Post 11970951)
Aside from having crap wireless charging it looks like its fast charging is also behind the times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-4Zp4h15rM&t=9s

:sleep::sleep:

I’m not going to watch it, but here’s what I think would have triggered you. It doesn’t charge as fast as some android devices. Am I right? Think deeply about why that may be, allow me to nudge your memory, go back to this time last year, you were excited about a new device, the new iPhone killer, you promised us it was going to be the hottest phone ever produced... and it was.

jazzyjembreaze 10 October 2017 01:44 AM

I didnt get in till late so had not unboxed it , the 8 fits into the 6s case perfect except for the camera eye is very close to the edge of phone on the 8 . I will just cut & trim it to fit just right , saves getting a new one as it’s identical fit every other way .

dpb 10 October 2017 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11970795)
Theres usually a window when you can, instructions should be easy to Google.

My advice, take it to Apple, explain that you were brushed off and now it’s gotten worse, show them your modem only works on gprs and you’ll walk out with a replacement.

Only at Apple do you get a ONE year warranty

JackClark 10 October 2017 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11970984)
Only at Apple do you get a ONE year warranty

Everyone who has an internet connection knows that Apple's after sales service is second to none. Yes you get the standard 1 year warranty but you're protected by consumer law for many more and Apple are well known for honouring it. I even posted on your thread the receipt from a two year old phone the same as yours that I took in for a free of charge replacement, but still you whine.

Sell it.

JackClark 10 October 2017 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by toffee_pie (Post 11970973)
Jacko, hundreds of thousands of Android smartphones use the latest smart charge tech, dont see people dying every day do you? The Galaxy Note incident had nothing do do with fast charging and everything to do with QA. My old Note 5 had fast charge (faster than the Apple 8 in fact) as does the S7 Edge.

Apple can flog off any old cack and people like you will lap it up as being the leading authority in the latest and best tech to man kind. :thumb:

I can read you like a book. Apple charging has tech that's in no Android phones, you should read the thread, I showed you the future pages back.

dpb 10 October 2017 08:49 AM

Im very unimpressed so far , its pretty clear to me theres been a aerial and software problem from about 8 months in - but so far theyve done level best to run away from their responsiblity

An0n0m0us 10 October 2017 08:59 AM

My P2 has a 5100mah battery and lasts 3 days but charges from empty to full in under 2 hours and I don't see that blowing up/catching fire and it's only a mid range phone.

I'm not joining any sides here but pointing out fast charging on android is across the board not just flagship models that blow up.

If a phone that cost me £160 (would rrp over here for nearer £250-£300 if sold here) can have this technology and battery life then high end phones that don't which cost 2 to 3 times the money really aren't including the best tech there is for battery performance. It's not just the charging but battery size/life that is a joke and one of the main reasons I got the P2 because of the huge battery life.

JackClark 10 October 2017 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11970994)
Im very unimpressed so far , its pretty clear to me theres been a aerial and software problem from about 8 months in - but so far theyve done level best to run away from their responsiblity

You went in once and accepted their consensus that there was no problem with your phone, which is probably correct. How is that running away, anyhow, comment on your own thread we're bored of you whining on here and doing nothing to help yourself.

JackClark 10 October 2017 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by toffee_pie (Post 11970995)
wow, i am in awe Jack, Apple have charging tech that is out dated - I am sure all the other smartphones that charge up must faster must be doing something wrong eh..

They need to justify that £1k price tag after all.

How is it outdated when it's so advanced that the world isn't ready to use it yet? Do you still think that there's no down side to fast charging, you do don't you?

JackClark 10 October 2017 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us (Post 11970997)
My P2 has a 5100mah battery and lasts 3 days but charges from empty to full in under 2 hours and I don't see that blowing up/catching fire and it's only a mid range phone.

I'm not joining any sides here but pointing out fast charging on android is across the board not just flagship models that blow up.

If a phone that cost me £160 (would rrp over here for nearer £250-£300 if sold here) can have this technology and battery life then high end phones that don't which cost 2 to 3 times the money really aren't including the best tech there is for battery performance. It's not just the charging but battery size/life that is a joke and one of the main reasons I got the P2 because of the huge battery life.

Lets be serious here, do you think that there is no reason that Apple might slow down fast charging after the first 30 minutes, they just used some 10 year old tech they had laying around because maybe no one would notice. Don't fall down the same hole as TP.

dpb 10 October 2017 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11971004)
You went in once and accepted their consensus that there was no problem with your phone, which is probably correct. How is that running away, anyhow, comment on your own thread we're bored of you whining on here and doing nothing to help yourself.

Iv been twice Jack . Second time the 'consensus' was that it was a write off

An0n0m0us 10 October 2017 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11971006)
Lets be serious here, do you think that there is no reason that Apple might slow down fast charging after the first 30 minutes, they just used some 10 year old tech they had laying around because maybe no one would notice. Don't fall down the same hole as TP.

So tell me what is so wrong with the battery size and time to charge of my phone then?

JackClark 10 October 2017 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us (Post 11971016)
So tell me what is so wrong with the battery size and time to charge of my phone then?

I have no idea, just as we have no idea why Apple chose to charge at the rate they do, all I know is they're not stupid and the charging they use is very advanced.

An0n0m0us 10 October 2017 11:25 AM

I'm guessing wireless charging can't go as quick anyway. How fast does it charge wired?

I still think there is no excuse to use such small batteries in all phones. If they can fit a 5100mah battery in my phone with all it's features and it's hardly thicker than any other phone then they can fit them in all phones. I prefer the phone to have a bit of weight to it as it feels solid I can't stand lightweight phones they feel like a child's toy. That was one of the best things about the iphone 4/4s it felt solid and a quality device which they lost with subsequent models. And I don't just mean Apple either, the Note 8 feels horrible in my opinion.