Notices
Private For Sale - General General Items (not categorised)

Why won't anyone buy by Scooby? Advice needed...

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2002, 12:08 PM
AnthonyJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Guys,

Don't know if other people are having this problem, but I'm having zero luck selling my rather lovely Dark Blue Mica 98 WRX. It is becoming a bit of a problem because I've already replaced it with an even lovelier Sti 5 and it is just sitting on my driveway costing me money. The car is in good condition, but I've only had interest from people who quite clearly aren't interested in actually purchasing the car! I'd really appreciate any thoughts / advice people might have on shifting the car as I'm getting kind of desperate now!

98 'R' Impreza WRX 4 door
Dark Blue Mica
Tax & Tested until Jan 2003
FSH
Car owned by me for 3 years with one previous owner
CD/Cassette with upgraded speakers (Infinity Kappa)
As standard apart from:
Sti brakes (Sti 4 pot calipers)
HKS induction kit
Sti exhaust

I'm asking £10,750 ono for the car - is that too much / not enough? Is Cambridge just a really dodgy area to sell these kind of cars? Are there any other routes to getting a sensible price for the car apart from private sale? It is really starting to get me down...
Old 05 June 2002, 12:25 PM
Sue
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem with my MY98 on Scoobynet
Eventually shifted it on Autotrader Website,but had to take a bit of a caning on price
Mine was modified to much the same standard as yours,had air con,leather upholstery,Magnex,4 pots etc etc...got £9,900 eventually
Good luck with it...Im still trying to sell my P1!!!!
Old 05 June 2002, 12:37 PM
jamesjones
Scooby Regular

Anthony, if your car is average mileage these are the prices that the used car guides suggest. Obviously, if you think your car is worth more to you then price it higher but if you want a quick sale these prices are fairly accurate. The longer you hold it, the less it'll be worth. Summer is usually a good time to sell.

Parkers
A1 £10150 ---- Good £9600 ---- Fair £7200
What Car
private £10500 ---- p/x £9400 ---- trade £9100 (dealer price is £10900)
Glass's
A1 £10700 ---- Good £9500 ---- Fair £8350

A1 means mileage <= average (10k/year), fsh, no problems, no dents, good tyres/exhaust/brakes,etc

Hope this helps
J
Old 05 June 2002, 12:44 PM
Safir
Scooby Regular

It is usually very difficult to sell a subaru in a subaru community (or a BMW in a BMW community, etc) as most of the people there already have one of their own. By posting here, you are essentially counting on someone knowing someone who is looking for a car like yours, wich does not happen often. If you look there are a large number of listings for cars for sale that don't seem to be moving. My best suggestion would be to place an ad in your local post or autotrader or a similar publication.

Good luck, it sounds like your price is fair, the right person will come along .
Old 05 June 2002, 12:44 PM
Andy Hall
Scooby Regular

I think the market is fairly well flooded, which is good if you are buying but not selling. I sold my 98 STI back in December (Sub 9K) took about 3 months.

Imports aren't aided by t0ssers like Quentin Wilson and his scare mongering TV program, and of course the astronomical insurance premiums, again particularly for imports.

Oh, and the added risk of getting it hijacked by some little git who can't be bothered to work for a living and save up for one.

They are great to own and a bugger to get rid of.

Andy

Old 05 June 2002, 12:59 PM
AnthonyJ
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice! Is it worth talking to a dealer? I realise I'd take a hit on price, but I'm more interested in selling the car than getting an extra £1000 for it. Could anyone recommend someone that might be interested?

I'd consider dropping the price further, but I'm concerned that it might put people off with a "wonder what's wrong with it" kind of feel. Perhaps a dealer could be the answer...
Old 05 June 2002, 03:38 PM
Scotty Boy
Scooby Regular

The joys of selling

Why not ask your local dealer if they will do a 'sale or return', i think basically they sell it as any other car from a dealer and give you an agreed percentage or value

Scott
Old 05 June 2002, 05:37 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

How many miles? Does that version have the more up to date interior?

Good luck by the way