Notices
Private For Sale - General General Items (not categorised)

Sunbeam Alpine GT Series V

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2002, 10:06 AM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robin!

We've met, at Donnington one wet and windy day, had a long chat about your car, your Mini, and weren't you looking at getting a 5 door scoob?

A couple of the things that I remember about your car were the 'slightly' modified 4.7 you were running with the help of some pukka GT40 bit's IIRC, and that it was one of the 7 (?) genuine rhd Tiger II's made.

Oh yeah and 'top'

Edited to say, it wasn't wet and windy, it was a damp, damn cold and windy Donnington at the first Autocar Track day ever held, back in December 2000...who's the anorak now

[Edited by Tim W - 7/6/2002 10:10:24 AM]
Old 25 June 2002, 09:22 PM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

1966 Genuine Gran Turismo Alpine. 80,000 miles. Some history. Good usable condition. MOT/Tax until April 2003 (tax exempt but you still get the disc). 4 spd with overdrive on 3rd and 4th. Genuine GT removable hardtop (metal not fibreglass). New tonnoue cover. Soft top. New clips (not installed). Stainless exhaust. 1725cc engine. Same as a Tiger only no 4.7 V8. Has set of five new tiger (minilite) alloys. Newish tyres. As designed by Carol Shelby. Some patches of bubble in the body but nothing serious. Good condition for age and reflected in price. Asking £3350 oiro

With no tax and super low classic car insurance it is practically free to run when you allow for appreciation.

Can email photos on request. email: dosenoffner@hotmail.com for more details.

[Edited by dosenöffner - 6/28/2002 8:44:39 AM]
Old 30 June 2002, 10:59 AM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sorry chap not interested in buying...mainly because I've got one too!!!

Mine's in a sorry state at the back of my parent's garage, but it's a 1967 on an 'E' nice retrim btw...good price too. Are you a memeber of the SAOC? Tried selling it through them?

Oh and Carol shelby designed the Tiger not the Alpine. The Tiger series 1 was 4.2 litre (260CI), there were a few series 1A's with the 4.7 (289CI out of the Cobra!) and the ultra rare Tiger II was a 4.7 and had disks all round, rather than the standard Alpine brakes that they all had before A fair few Tigers have had a 289 conversion...along with some suspension/brake improvements

Mine has a rather nice Holbay built engine that delivers around 140 brake (up from 100) giving an Alpine with the performance of a Tiger 1 (which is heavier and only has 160 brake in standard tune).

Incidentally for anyone vaguely interested and still following my ramblings...the Alpine has a live rear axle with no anti tramp bars, so it can get a bit tail happy even at low speed...and with recircuilating ball steering it can be a bit intersting gathering it all up...but fun nonetheless

Good luck!
Old 03 July 2002, 02:01 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

"and the ultra rare Tiger II was a 4.7 and had disks all round, rather than the standard Alpine brakes that they all had before"

<Anorak mode engaged>

OK sorry but I cant help myself........

Only some of the prototype Tiger MkII's had all disk set ups, production MkII's have discs at the front and drums at the rear.
I know this as apart from anything else I have considered upgrading my MkII to an all disk set up (but decided against it). Oh yes and the standard Tiger brakes are carried over from the Alpine which in turn were carried over from the Hillman Husky which donated its floorpan to the Alpine .

<Anorak mode off>

Cheers

Robin
Old 04 July 2002, 02:09 PM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

Top.