Notices
Private For Sale - General General Items (not categorised)

Scorpion 4" backbox

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2002, 05:38 PM
whip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Righto, a few questions to answer here...

First of all it is provisionally sold tho, but I will answer your questions anyhow.

What sort of Scorpion exhaust is it, I checked there web site and it mentions an Imola 3.5", your ad says 4".
It's a Tuner 5" although the tailpipe is only 4". The pipework is 2.5" all the way through (including where it passes through the silencer box). Read on and all will become clear.

Not really that clued up on exhausts but perhaps would consider one for my MY00. Wasnt it you who was selling your car recently, if so how did you get on, presumably this is why you are selling.
Yes it was and yes it is. The scoob went last Monday, I was gutted but financially I am now quids in.

As for the exhaust I would say GET ONE mate - it should be the first mod to ANY scoob. I ummed and ahhed for ages, concerned about motorway droning etc etc and in the end this came up so I thought sod it. I then realised I should've just changed the backbox as soon as I bought the car instead of faffing about. The sound is superb (likewise for the Magnex - not too loud but burbles nicely, can't comment on the scoobysport) and I noticed a definite MPG improvement when caning it anywhere at high-ish revs. If your MY00 is the same as mine was (green ECU) it just floods fuel in at the top end, runs rich as buggery and this is compensated a little by fitting a freer exhaust. The result, more MPG and a few more ponies.

How easy is it to take the original back box off without damaging it so I would be able to put the standard one back on should I wish to sell in the future as standard.
Easy, a 15 minute job. The exhaust fits to the centre section using a flat flange with a small gasket, and two bolts. It's held in place by rubber diamond-shaped bushes with two holes - one for the chassis and one for the exhaust. The struts you can see on the piccy go through those bushes.

Scorpion are very respected in the exhaust industry but aren't as well known in scooby circles as the likes of magnex/scoobysport etc. I'm 99% certain that Scorpion are the 'real' manufacturers of the exhausts that Prodrive sell (search is down so I can't locate the original thread about it) which leads me to believe that the version I have here is pretty much a PPP exhaust with a different tailpipe - the 2.5" exit hole would back that up, as would the fact that both this and the PPP box share the same 'whooshy' noise at high revs. This would be why the tailpipe is 4", as there isn't enough clearance for a 5" pipe. On a constant throttle above 50mph you can hardly hear it inside the car, but as soon as you open her up it sounds fantastic - best of both worlds really.

Btw we did some flybys the night before I sold the car, with my mate driving past me at different speeds. Jeezus, if I'd heard it from outside earlier I may have changed my mind about selling up! From a purr/rumble at tickover, to a flat-four burble at mid-revs to a rally-car at high rpm. Even got a bit of popping and crackling when he changed gear.

HTH

Whip

[Edited by whip - 7/2/2002 5:40:51 PM]
Old 02 July 2002, 03:36 PM
whip
Scooby Regular

Talking

Scorpion 4" stainless backbox in excellent condition, sounds superb.

I have a few mp3s that we recorded, and a few more piccies that can be sent on request.

Looking for offers around £150, based in the Northwest.

Whip

Old 02 July 2002, 05:10 PM
The Maive
Scooby Regular

Whip,

What sort of Scorpion exhaust is it, I checked there web site and it mentions an Imola 3.5", your ad says 4".

Not really that clued up on exhausts but perhaps would consider one for my MY00. Wasnt it you who was selling your car recently, if so how did you get on, presumably this is why you are selling.

How easy is it to take the original back box off without damaging it so I would be able to put the standard one back on shouls I wish to sell in the future as standard.

We would also have to discuss the price me's thinks.

Cheers

Chris
Old 02 July 2002, 05:12 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

easy, two bolts!
Old 02 July 2002, 05:17 PM
The Maive
Scooby Regular

I changed an exhaust on an Astra I used to have, it was a proper Biatch to get off, basically damaged the one coming off, however that was ok cos it was knackered anyway hence the change!!!

Can anyone comment on the Scorpion exhausts, r they any good, Ive seen many a thread on exhausts and cant rememeber too much mentioned about these, someone once put they werent as loud as a SccobySport one.

Chris
Old 02 July 2002, 05:20 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

What diameter is the pipe, where it meets the centrebox
Old 02 July 2002, 05:46 PM
The Maive
Scooby Regular

Whip,

No problem if it gets sold, you have defo answered my question tho, and may have to step up a purchase, I think the one thing the final thing that is holding me back is if it puts my insurance up, which I will need to check.

Cheers

Chris
Old 02 July 2002, 08:36 PM
Bee
Scooby Regular

Talking

Whip. YHM.
Old 03 July 2002, 09:45 AM
whip
Scooby Regular

Talking

Bee - the backbox is now sold m8, best of luck sorting one out tho.

Maive - it put my insurance up by a whopping 16 quid. On the documents they sent through it was listed as 'exhaust modifications to allow a maximum of 10% more power', which on a scoob would've given me about 22bhp to add whilst being totally legit on the insurance side. Quite reasonable I think. That was with Privilege btw, definitely check with your insurer first tho. Good luck sorting one out, get to one of your local scooby meets to hear a few different ones maybe.

Whip