Notices
Private For Sale - General General Items (not categorised)

Kart Retirement Sale – Does your Scooby do this?

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2002, 05:54 PM
crispyduck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andrei wrote:

"What's your e-mail? Would like to chat off-line about getting into karting."

Andrei, please feel free to contact me RE: starting karting. Please email your telephone number to mailto: stevecrisp@bigfoot.com and I'll call you one evening during the later half of the week.

Best regards,
Steve.

[Edited by stevecrisp - 9/1/2002 7:45:10 PM]
Old 09 January 2002, 07:40 PM
crispyduck
Scooby Regular

HKSubaru,

["How fast do these things go?"]
Quite fast, especially given how close you are to the track - feels much faster. The particular Karts I raced are direct drive 100cc engines and top speed is determined by the size of the front and rear sprockets. Typically I know what the maximum RPM's I want to run (~15,900 RPM :-O) so I gear the front and rear spockets to achieve this on the longest straight of the track I am racing at. Note, the higher the top speed the slower the acceleration and vice versa.

With that said these things will do around 70-80 MPH if geared more towards top-speed. 0-60 (well rolling at tickover - direct drive and all that!) can be acheived in 3 ish seconds if geared towards acceleration.

["Where can you race these karts?"]
With respect to Bournemouth I raced at Matchams Raceway. Also on the way their is a place called Forest Edge.

["Are they hard to maintain?"]
If you are mechanically minded and like to tinker then no it's a sinch especially if you can follow strick instructions/procedures. A Kart is basically one engine, one brake 4 wheels it's that simple. Most things are cheep e.g. new carb £25, plug £12, "special" synthetic 2-stroke oil (you mix this with the petrol) £12, wheel bearings £8, body work £50 including front side and centre pods.

With these types of Kart it is important to maintain logs of hours run and the condition of each component. That way you can plan to replace piston rings, pistons, reboars etc at the correct interval.

As an example, replacing a piston ring takes about 5 minutes, as the removal of four head bolts allows you to lift off the head and then the block. This completely exposes the piston. Flick the old ring off, new on and done. I used to use a new piston ring to measure how the bore was wearing - that way you can work out yourself when you need to do up a piston size.

Hope some of this helps. A good web site is http://www.karting.co.uk for lots more usefull information for people who want to start Karting. One tip though - it's a "Kart" (fast professional type) NOT "Go-Kart" (the in door 30 MPH type!).

Regards,
Steve.

[Edited by stevecrisp - 9/1/2002 7:43:52 PM]
Old 29 August 2002, 01:07 PM
crispyduck
Scooby Regular

All,

I retired from Kart racing (100 Clubman) about 2 years ago – and bought my Scooby! I promised my wife that when we have kids that would be it – Karting that is! – well he’s 18 months old now and it’s taken me a while to advertise my pride and joy.

Below are a couple of pictures of me racing it in the wet, then dry on the same day! – I won this and many other races by the way :-) Note: pictures are not great quality because I’ve basically lifted them from a freeze frame on the DV camcorder. Please be patient for the pictures to load it's worth it.

Race winning 100c Kart retirement sale, everything is in good condition and for sale including many spares and tools, everything you need to start racing. Package price £495 o.v.n.o. that includes the following:

+ 100cc PCR TSV 2-stroke air-cooled engine (VERY low bore – ready for next race season)
+ DYNO chassis with silver side and front pods – also old spare set of pods coloured blue
+ Kart cover – coloured red and blue
+ Easy start wheel – helps you start the Kart on your own by raising the rear wheels off the track
+ Red swede racing steering wheel
+ Multi-function display on steering wheel – displays RPM real-time, RPM max and hours run
+ Drilled rear disk brake
+ Set of VEGA racing slick tyres (already scrubbed in) including rims
+ Set of VEGA racing slick tyres (intermediates) including rims
+ Set of VEGA racing wet tyres (already scrubbed in) including rims
+ 2 off tyre bags – each holds a set of 4 tyres
+ Tyre replacement jig tool – you need this to change your own tires
+ Kart stand/trolley - coloured silver
+ Many spares including lots of rear sprockets of various sizes, chains, lots of spark plugs (hot,”normal” and cold), many bolts screws etc., carburetor gasket kits, basically everything you need to maintain your Kart.

I also have the following, which I am not sure if I want to sell yet:

+ Race full-face helmet (coloured black – grade A – basically a motor bike helmet - £45. Note, I might keep this just in case I do a track day with the Scooby :-)
+ Neck brace - trust me you'll need one - £5
+ Race suite – small/medium size (suite a slim person up to 5’ 10” tall) - £15
+ Race shoes – size 8 ½ - black swede - £10
+ Fire Extinguisher – Dry powder type (large)
+ Wooden Kart platform for trailer – custom made by me which sits on top of my Halfords box trailer which my Kart straps on to – obviously if you do not have a similar size trailer this will not be required.

Anyway enough of writing lets see it in more detail. Pictures below:

If anyone new to Karting is thinking of taking it up I can definitely recommend it, all be it a little dangerous :-O. Nothing can beat a 60 MPH race with 20 other Karts with your bum only millimetres from the track! If any other Scooby owner out there has experiences of Karting I’m sure we would all be interested to here how you would compare it to racing your Scoob. The reason for writing “does your Scooby do this?” is easily explained by my bodily reaction to a race I won. This particular race was challenging to say the least as I was spun by someone during qualifying and started in the middle of the grid for the first heat. By the end of the days racing in the heats I gained enough places to give me second position on the grid for the final. After gaining and losing the lead as many times as laps I eventually won. As you can imagine I got back to pits pretty chuffed with myself and was then violently sick due to amount of adrenaline running though my body! I’ll say it again; Does your Scooby do this?

If anyone is seriously interested in my Kart please contact me via this thread or send me a personal message. For newbees I would be happy to give basic instruction to get you up and started with Karting. With that said, racing these things is about preparation and strict maintenance as much as driving well in races. Please do not expect to race Karts like these for a whole season without regular attention of maintenance. One thing you can be sure of, as I was when I purchased it, is that this Kart is fast and will not hold you back from winning races. That leaves you plenty of time to perfect your driving – you’ll need it – it’s nothing like driving a car!

[Editted to add neck brace to might sell list]

Steve.

[Edited by stevecrisp - 8/29/2002 7:20:31 PM]

Last edited by crispyduck; 05 July 2007 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Showing a fiend my old kart so had to correct the links to the pictures.
Old 29 August 2002, 01:20 PM
Richard.S
Scooby Regular

Talking

Steve, I'm interested, call me!

Richard
07010 708881
Old 29 August 2002, 01:32 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I figure the track, is it matchams?

not clay or dunks i don't think

This is a good price for anyone thinking about starting BTW.

Paul
Old 29 August 2002, 01:48 PM
crispyduck
Scooby Regular

Paul,

Yes, this is Matchams Raceway which is quite close to where I live. I have only practiced a Clay before - great circuit though, especially compared to Matchams. Thanks for the comment RE price. I've been out of it for 2 years now and was not sure how much to advertise.

Are you a fellow Karter?

Regards,
Steve.
Old 29 August 2002, 02:16 PM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

i am afraid karting stays with you for all of your life you are allways looking for ways to get back into it

my first marriage broke up basically becouse of it that is how adictive it is

i see how you reminise that race i can remember all the great races i had and the bad ones

have to say if i was single i would sell the scoob and get back into it as long as i lose 1.5 stone becouse it is the real thing
Old 29 August 2002, 02:31 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't really done much since doing Super 1/brit champs in Formula A in 2000.

I've raced since '89, started at clay

Need to lose about a stone to be competitive in F'A' as it has a 142kg limit, and I was more like 147.

Much more exciting than a trackday if you've not done it much.

I'm getting nervous just thinking about it.

Paul
Old 29 August 2002, 02:52 PM
crispyduck
Scooby Regular

Weight limit hey ... that reminds me. You may have noticed lots of odd shaped red items bolted to my Kart. These are lead weights wrapped in duck taped and bolted to both sides of the seat and down each side of the foot-well. I was fortunate that I was well under the minimum weight limit for my class so could experiment with moving these weights around to get the best set-up.

Steve.
Old 29 August 2002, 07:23 PM
crispyduck
Scooby Regular

btt
Old 29 August 2002, 07:45 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
What no whirly visor??
BTTT
Old 30 August 2002, 09:01 AM
crispyduck
Scooby Regular

btt
Old 30 August 2002, 11:30 AM
kart_man
Scooby Regular

Cool

I race 4 strokes so the kart's not for me, but for anyone who's thinking about getting into karting - take Chris's hand off on this deal. Take my word for it, even the extra spares he's throwing in will probably cost you twice what's he's asking second hand !!!!
Good luck with the sale Chris

Dave
Old 30 August 2002, 05:22 PM
crispyduck
Scooby Regular

Dave,
Thanks for the comments. Good excuse for a btt :-)
Steve
Old 31 August 2002, 12:50 AM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

Steve,

What's your e-mail? Would like to chat off-line about getting into karting. Please reply to my yahoo e-mail in the Profile.

Thanks a lot!

Andrei
Old 31 August 2002, 02:26 AM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

how fast do these things go??

from bournemouth are we? where can you race these karts and are they hard to maintain??
Old 03 September 2002, 09:03 AM
crispyduck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I waved bye bye to my pride and joy last night - she's now sold.

This was my first ScoobyNet sale and it all went well. In fact I could have sold it four times over.

Thanks to all scoobynet'ers who made comments. You were all definately right, I sold it too cheep - oh well.

Steve.