Notices
Private For Sale - General General Items (not categorised)

That bloke who 'ripped off' David Wallis for £80

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2002, 04:11 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After 3 months of waiting, 1 thread of abuse got it sorted in 1 day.

As for being grown up, that includes keeping track of responsibilities, like at least letting someone know you have some problems, and can't complete the deal.

Such is life.

Edited to add, I just wanted to say the above, but really I think it's run its course.

[Edited by Pavlo - 9/4/2002 4:12:33 PM]
Old 04 September 2002, 03:49 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Turns out that it was just a misunderstanding. It's been resolved now. It was a mix up involving changed email addresses, and was partly the fault of Mr. Wallis.

David, perhaps you'd like to apologise, publicly, right here?

And perhaps some people might like to reconsider before getting abusive and 'naming and shaming' on the BBS in future? [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 04 September 2002, 03:53 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

Question

shouldn't the guy post on scoobynet if he cashed it and couldn't find the guy he sold it too??? or how about the losing wife/house/car stuff?? was that true? sorry a bit confused. not my matter to deal with anyhow.
Old 04 September 2002, 04:00 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Angry

What people forget here is that it's an issue to be resolved between two private parties. Wallis had no valid reason for being so abusive or going public on the BBS. If he knew the address of the guy in question, he should have phoned or popped around to sort it out. Posting libellous and rude comments (and the home address) about the other guy is unfair.

Why should the other guy have to defend himself publicly anyway? It's nothing to do with anyone else on SN, particulary as it's now been proven that all the accusations were unfounded.
Old 04 September 2002, 04:01 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

News of the World readers like naming and shaming, then they go and beat up the wrong person, or burn the wrong house down.

Quality
Old 04 September 2002, 04:01 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

i think someone else posted it didn't they? david wallis knew of the 192.com thingy??
Old 04 September 2002, 04:07 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

is this still going on?

Having read both the threads I fail to see how there can be any further misunderstanding.

David posted after numerous e-mails and what HE considered to be an un-acceptable period of time.

Lots of people got on the case and the speculation became rather bad natured. Shame about that, as it COULD have been a serious and sensible discussion regarding the perils of online purchases.

It got silly, and as had been suggested by some of the more reasonable members the chap had had a massive problem with personal circumstances. I can idnetify with this after having found out by accident YESTERDAY about a loan and debts my WIFE was running up!!!! COULD have cost us the house!

So the chap has posted a thread after sorting out access to a PC, offered to send the items immediately or refund David, and both the threads have been locked I think. Surely this is the END ???

Incidentally I was the guy James Jones posted about in the original thread about having bought the CD player from that as per sods law failed to work correctly when he fitted it, even after 2 years of fault free operation for me. Had I been anything other than the upstanding guy I am I could have cashed his cheque and told him to swing for it etc etc.. But you wouldnt want it done to you, so why do it to anyone else?

Its the massive leaps of erroneous assumption often seen on Scoobynet that REALLY baffle me....
Old 04 September 2002, 04:08 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ill reply later when at home... just leaving work.

David
Old 04 September 2002, 04:11 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation

THIS IS THE FOR SALE SECTION PEOPLE

Can we keep it this way?

& to TBH the whole subject shouldn't have been brought up in here, or anywhere else on SN for that matter
Old 04 September 2002, 04:13 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

I have to say David that I dont think other than the mistake to publish an address you did anything that 99% of us wouldnt have done in your situation.

Like I said, its a shame it got a bit bad tempered, but I suppose its human nature to think the worst of strangers who have your money. Maybe a slightly calmer thread title might have been a good idea

But apart form that I think you were totally in the right to post on here and to try this as a different method for getting a reply.

I'd love to have heard the cries if it HAD been a nasty man scamming Scoobynet, and LOTS of people had actually lost money then found out David hadnt said anything. He would have been ripped to shreds!
Old 04 September 2002, 04:15 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Just out of interest, how do you know that it has been resolved?

I think some of what you are saying is right MarkO, IIRC david started it as a warning to others! trouble is it got a bit "News of the World-ish"

How do you warn others on SN without giving name and address, because as it can be clearly seen, he has changed is username, just like david changed his email address.

I think HKSubaru was right, surely he could have come on and said "For the attention of David Wallis" or "For the attention of the guy who paid me £80 for ....."
Old 04 September 2002, 04:15 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Sorry Puff, but it was MarkO's fault and Im easily led.

Anyone want to buy a GSXR 750 ? See Puff's thread in "Bikers" forum.

Does that help? Or what about a DR600?
Old 04 September 2002, 04:17 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

I've sold a lot of stuff on this BBS, as soon as the cheque arrives the stuff is boxed/parcelled up and sent as soon as the cheque clears. There is NO excuse for cashing a a cheque and not sending the goods. It takes a couple of days for a cheque to clear, how can you lose all record of the person who purchased the stuff in such a short time and then not try to find him by posting an FAO on here.

I'd be pissed if that happened to me, i agree totally with David.

Tony.
Old 04 September 2002, 04:19 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Selling your bikes Buzz.

Sorry to hear about your problems m8 hope you sort it soon.

Steven
Old 04 September 2002, 05:01 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

this is the best entertainment i've had for ages and besides, would david wallis have got a response if he hadn't threatened to name and shame?.....i dont think so
Old 04 September 2002, 05:23 PM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

IMHO David was right to post. He was 80 of his hard earned out of pocket and with no contact could only fear the worst. 3 months to me is a MORE than reasonable amount of time to wait. The guys problems are the guys problems. Whatever they were he managed to cash a cheque..

One post in one day on here got it sorted. So presumably the guy's problems didn't stop him being on SN when he could have been down the post office...
Old 04 September 2002, 05:23 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Guys,

As you well know this is a *SALES* forum, so if you wish to discuss it, please take it elsewhere!

David has an email from me as to why I took the actions I did, but have yet to have a reply.

I hope this is all resolved soon.

Andy