Notices
Private For Sale - General General Items (not categorised)

Possibly the best Impreza ever ?

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2003, 04:55 PM
Husky
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

What do you get if you cross an STi V5 type RA with a 22B and give the whole thing to Prodrive ?

The P1 prototype and a car that goes like the proverbial.

Records show that when Prodrive had it, it was producing 350 bhp, did 0-60 in a little over 4, a top speed of 180 mph and held the record for a two litre vehicle at the Nurbergring.

Produced at the request of Subaru UK who were getting a little upset about the WRX imports and the M********i Evo's this vehicle was type approved for the P1 and had all the little fiddley bits, i.e. the adjustable diff, manual/automatic switches for the turbo cooler, rally suspension, and the brakes that are only just being fitted to the STi 8 !

Just to really finish it off, it was passed on to Peter Stevens at McLaren who designed the tail wing and scoop and then fine tuned it in the wind tunnel. Result, an extra 5 bhp at 100 mph, as if you could notice ?

The vehicle is a dream to drive, it handles superbly (unlike the 22B) and behaves in like a family saloon until you hit the pedal and then it's off. When I first drove it at any speed the only thing I could akin it to was riding a bicycle at 100 mph, what an experience.

The car is owned by me and, sadly, must go so I am open to sensible offers. However, the bare bones are that it is a 1999, white STi V5 type R, with a fsh and in excellent condition bar the odd paint chip as you'd expect. It has had three owners, the first being Prodrive, and I do have a copy as proof and some of the test material from them, and has done some 29,500 miles in all.

It has all the bits it is supposed to have, except I have changed the McLaren scoop for a standard P1 as the danger of it catching on the floor was too much to bear. But, I still have the scoop and will sell it with the vehicle, only with the vehicle.

If I knew how to put some pictures up I would but, I did try this earlier, in February, and someone posted a picture of it there. Alternatively, it is shown on the P1 owners club website or did appear in various magazines in late 1999, particular EVO and Autocar and, again I have copies of the articles.

This is a landmark vehicle for Subaru with a very interesting history and will become increasingly important.

But, I need the money now for other commitments and am looking for around £25,000.

Old 22 April 2003, 05:01 PM
5 Type R
Scooby Regular

Any pics
Old 22 April 2003, 05:02 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

Cool

Old 22 April 2003, 05:12 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Does Dave Richards come with the car?

Seriously tho, a slice of history right here. BTTT.
Old 22 April 2003, 05:23 PM
5 Type R
Scooby Regular

Would love to read / see more about this car.
Where abouts on the P1 site is it?
Old 23 April 2003, 07:52 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Sorry to sound stupid.... but what is the Mclaren scoop? And how does it hit the floor. The only scoop i know on an Impreza is the one on the bonnet. Do you mean the front splitter/spoiler? If so how does this differ from the P1?

Tony.
Old 28 April 2003, 03:17 PM
Husky
Scooby Newbie

Sorry, been out of it for a while.

Yep! I mean the front splitter, whatever.

Anyway, it was modifed by McLaren so that it incorporated some flaired sides and was lowered by about 2/3 inches which gave it a ground clearance of about 2 inches, a bit of a **** on speedbumps and even going up my drive.