Notices
Private For Sale - General General Items (not categorised)

Want a project? Well-specced STi IV in need of engine rebuild possibly FS

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2003, 11:34 AM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

After 65,000 reliable miles my cherished 1998 STi IV saloon has had an engine bearing failure. As I am now looking at the thick end of a £3k bill, I would be interested in seeing the response here as regards the resale value of the car as it currently is. The damage (probably a big end, but yet TBC) was caught very early, but I'm assuming anyone who takes this on would be in the business of "creating a monster" so will be looking at new rods and possibly pistons too. It is 99% certain that the crank is OK, but this could be confirmed as part of the sale.

Even if you are not interested in buying, I would be happy to hear what folks roun' here think the car might be worth in its current state. Quick spec:

Link ECU with Knock/Lambda link modules (mapping by BRD)
VF22 turbo (original VF24 included as a spare)
ScoobySport full exhaust (de-cat)
LEDA B suspension with three pairs of replacement springs (various rates)
Brembo front brake kit w/ AP discs (THREE pairs of spare front pads included) and Gp.N rears (std size)
Full set of spare 16" rims plus three further wheels
Garmin SatNav

I have to make a fast decision whether to proceed with the rebuild myself, so quick responses would be appreciated!

Cheers,

-= mike =-
Old 15 May 2003, 12:33 PM
CC
Scooby Regular

more details such as colour, condition apart from the obvious, pics might help m8.

At a TOTAL guess I'd say around 4k?
Old 15 May 2003, 12:49 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

if it was 4k, let me know, I'd be interested.
Old 15 May 2003, 01:24 PM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Probably more like £4500, but it sounds like we're in the right area. I reckon the car would be worth around £8500-9000 without the problem, so I'm allowing £3k for the rebuild plus £1k for the hassle (or lack of, from my point of view).

More details I should have mentioned in the first place:

The car is light silver (608) and was first registered in Aug 98 on an R-plate. David Hendry Cars imported it and I have owned it from new. I was about to sell it just before Xmas but changed my mind (lucky for somebody I guess) but spent on a bodywork cleanup before I did that. Since then a couple of kind neighbours have put minor scuffs on the bumpers, but it's still a very clean car by any reckoning. Externally it is very down-tone, with standard 16" rims (silver ones swapped for the original gold), a low spoiler, clear indicators all round and no badges, for that Q-car look.

I can mail a picture if anyone is interested.

-= mike =-
Old 15 May 2003, 01:37 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Here's the very car:

Looks very tidy indeed...

SB
Old 15 May 2003, 01:38 PM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Other minor bit of info: It's got Cibie driving lights (supplied by ScoobySport) but would come without any ICE (standard speakers in place though). Security-wise it has a Clifford 50X alarm with nice remote boot release extra, and Tracker with lifetime subscription. On the inside it's all standard except for the pricey but swish metal sill plates for all four doors, Sparco carbon pedal extensions and some recent AutoStyle mats with metal heel-pad for the drivers side.

Front and rear anti-roll bars are both upgraded items from Whiteline, but the original bars would be supplied with the car. Ditto a full set of top mounts, as there are Gp.N spec mounts with harder rubbers all round. This was a failed attempt to cure the famous LEDA rattle. To the same end the rear suspension units were rebuilt at LEDA at the end of last year. It still makes the noise but it handles well!

I also fitted a brake cylinder support bracket and a Blitz cone air filter, which I forgot to mention in the first posting.
Old 15 May 2003, 02:32 PM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

This may be a world record for the fastest car sale in history, but the level of interest in this car has been amazing. In the last two hours I have made up my mind that I'd sooner take the money and run, straight off to Litchfield Imports to order myself a Type-RA! So the pain of a rebuild has been transformed into the joy of a brand new car

Apologies to those who have enquired and didn't get it, but the right money just turned up on the nail so I have accepted the offer.

Thanks all,

-= mike =-
Old 15 May 2003, 03:14 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

congrats mike.

you have done well!
Old 15 May 2003, 03:18 PM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Thanks, it's certainly a silver lining but in the end I'm still obviously gutted (to the tune of about £4k) that I didn't manage to sell it before Xmas as originally planned. I won't be worrying about that when the Spec C Ltd turns up though
Old 15 May 2003, 08:47 PM
Steve Lawson
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thats a shame Mike ,good luck to the new owner tho I will vouch for the condition of this car just a real shame it had to go this way.

Steve