Notices
Private For Sale - General General Items (not categorised)

Sony Head unit and 10 disk CD Changer

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2003, 04:06 PM
JonW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As was fitted to my scooby...

- Sony XR-C5100R tape / tuner face off head unit
- Sony CDX-715 10 disk CD changer (Digital D bass/ custome file and ESP)
- Leads to connect these together

Selling complete with maunals as ive owned these since new. Want to sell as a set, best offer over 100 secures as I know the CD Changer and cable is worth that alone.

Jon
jon@tiswow.com
Old 27 August 2003, 04:15 PM
MattyB
Scooby Regular

Is that the large model, that are in some scooby's but not others, you know, the deep ones like twice the size of normal radios? Got a tec spec if it is. Ta muchly.
Old 27 August 2003, 04:23 PM
JonW
Scooby Regular

Matt, if you mean double DIN, then no... this is a standard sized unit... as fitted to my UK MY00.
Old 29 August 2003, 03:50 PM
JonW
Scooby Regular

BTTT
Old 29 August 2003, 03:53 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

Question

Jon,

I'll admit I'm a bit of an ICE numptie!

Do you have any pics or other info on your setup? How easy is it to install, etc.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 29 August 2003, 04:09 PM
JonW
Scooby Regular

Spider - no worries m8, well all started at the ground floor!

This is very easy to fit, well it was in my MY00 and I even paid to watch the guy make such easy money...

The headunit is a 2 second job. slide out the original Phillips rubbish unit and unclip the 2 DIN connectors and the ariel. remove the cage by bending up the tabs and then put new cage in, redo up connectors and slide it home... so simple!

Fitting the changer is easy enough too but will take a while for you to work out where you want it, ie under the seat, hanging under the parcel shelf or in the spare wheel well (thats where I had it). Reckon on an afternoon of relaxed work to be sure you arent rushed...

To run the cables to the CD in the boot start by lifting the carpets - pop out the sill trims and pull them up, pull back the carpet and where you find big ruond gromety things try undoing them like bolts (ie anticlockwise) or just lever up.
Run the cable up behind the dash -use an old wire coat hanger or get a mate to help and feed it up / down by trial and error, its not too hard tho.
To get a good job at the back remove the rear seat base - the 3 bolts under the seat (where your calves would be when sat down) and pull the squab out. feed the cables and tape em down to the body into the boot under the carpet and maybe behind the boot side trims. from there yuou just run em to your choice of location for the Changer.

On mine I cut a 16inch (or whatever the dia was to the rim of the spare wheel) disk to 12mm MDF with a jig saw. painted the top black for added effect and drilled a 16mm hole in it for the cables and connectors to drop thru. This fitted neatly in the spare wheel and also makes for a very strong boot floor! you can even carry bags of sand!!!
I fitted the changer to the MDF disk and replaced the special wheel bolt (it has wings so you can undo with fingers) with a normal headed bolt and added a correct size spanner to the toolkit.

Its a bit more work to chage CDs like this but no one ever sees the changer so it wont get nicked by opportunist theives etc. and with 10 CDs you wont be changing them that often!

HTH, Jon.