Notices
Private For Sale - General General Items (not categorised)

Twin engined RC car

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2003, 04:20 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TWIN ENGINED NITRO 1:6 SCALE RC CAR. ( thanks mods for deleting the other advert )

(PLEASE ALLOW TIME FOR THE PICTURES TO LOAD, APOLOGIES FOR THE SIZE BUT THEY SHOW THE MOST DETAIL)

Ok, it is with much regret that I am having to sell my latest project. I have invested some serious time & money into this but have now unfortunatly run out of both, as work and a mortgage take over.......

...what we have is a 1:6 scale twin engined car. It is basically 2 cars- Both cars started life as standard .21 engined protechs see the link below:

http://www.protech.be/html/c7.html

Where to start......

I bought one car a while back and this in turn got me into RC - This scale of car is not the fastest around - basically they are a large chassis with a .21 engine.

http://www.protech.be/html/c7.html

What does stand out with this scale of car is the handling - they are absolutely mega - think colin mcrae on a smaller scale, you get the right surface and it's powerslides and opposite lock all the way! The car sqauts down on its rear suspension just like the real thing, it is a real crowd puller.

This car gathered some interest from the boys across the pond during its build, see here:

http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/foru...hreadid=118550

Here's whats included:

As you can see there is:

Fuel
2 cars with bodyshells one Subaru, the other 206
3 sets of wheels and tyres, one of these are Medial pro's ( read expensive ) !
spare front hubs
spare clutch bells
2 speed box
plus all manner of other bits & bobs - It all has to go

As can be seen below, here is the spare chassis and suspension components that make up the spare car.

There are some other pictures of the car here: http://www.bluebusonline.co.uk/protech.htm

Now for the nitty gritty...

The car is started by using a one way bearing located inside an 11mm socket, this in turn is driven by a cordless drill - DRILL not included.

Originally I had 2 housings made to house these sockets but on its maiden voyage a one way bearing shattered and I had to strip both starter off to get both engines going.

There is a trick to starting the engines - you start one and let it settle at quite a high idle - you then start the other and this will also idle high as both carbs are driven by the same servo - (high torque throttle & steering by the way). Once both engines are running you simply trim the idle down on the TX and both tick away niceley, although they do need to run slightly faster than usual.

There is also a slight problem with the location of the secondary fuel tank - you will notice in the picture the second tank is slightly higher. I beleive this is causing the fuel to syphon through to the carb - I did not get round to curing it, I imagine a small restricion on the fuel line to balance / negate the head will cure this.

As I say, other commitments mean I have had to abandon this project, its a shame as it ws just getting up&running in earnest. Everything is bolted down & relocated where it belongs, the chassis is CNC machined for the additional engine etc. I suggest ou check the manufacturers site to see what this car was like before it was modified.

It is important to note that this car is not reccomended for anyone new to RC, nor would I reccomend it for anyone with no previous nitro experience.

It is a project that is 95% complete and at the moment will reach approx 45-50 mph, however this is on a single speed box, I cannot say what the 2 speed will do. There is a stripped cog on the 2 speed due to me incorrectly fitting it when the car was still single engined - this can be replaced for aprox £15.

Given that the total value of this project stands me at £800 plus, I think the starting price of £350 is very reasonable, given that it would cost you that for one car alone.

This car can be reverted back to 2 single engined cars relativley easily - there are no permanet irreversible mods to any major components that would prevent this.

Should you have any queeries or equire more detailed pictures I will try my best to nswer them.

[Edited by mj - 12/2/2003 4:30:33 PM]

[Edited by mj - 12/3/2003 1:52:23 PM]
Old 02 December 2003, 06:03 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

cough
Old 02 December 2003, 07:48 PM
scoobyp1
Scooby Regular

how much work will it take to make this into two cars again ?
Old 02 December 2003, 07:50 PM
scoobyp1
Scooby Regular

how much work will it take to make this into two cars again ?
Old 02 December 2003, 07:52 PM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft
jesus 2 x 21 engines sod making it 2 cars again this thing will fly (just add wings)

could be tempted but just bought a gems m8

Old 02 December 2003, 09:19 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

to make 2 cars....?

nahhh, keep the twin and just buy another engine/muffler/tank.

all parts bar the odd nut& bolt are there to make two cars again, you would just need to buy a receiver & crystal as there are servos for the spare car. You would also need a transmitter.

This is two bare cars and one set of radio gear, sort of joined together, you would just need additional radio gear to make 2 complete car kits.
Old 03 December 2003, 05:41 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

oops!
Old 04 December 2003, 08:31 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

..and you lot call yourselves petrolheads...............
Old 06 December 2003, 05:17 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb